Only War: Hammer of the Emperor

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 DrNo172000

DrNo172000

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:06 AM

Haha I was just joking about the retcon though GW once told me a model a they had for mail order at one time never existed, so seems they can even Retcon things out of real life existence.

I guess the rule of coolism applies to the the Tanith then.  Of course you could always run your game in the Sabbat Crusade as stated above.

#42 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

AtoMaki said:

The Sabbath crusade is the product of Den Abnett and not GW's.

It 100% is GW's. They own every shred of 40K IP. Dan Abnett wrote it for Black Library. Black Library is part of GW.

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#43 AtoMaki

AtoMaki

• Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

H.B.M.C. said:

AtoMaki said:

It 100% is GW's. They own every shred of 40K IP. Dan Abnett wrote it for Black Library. Black Library is part of GW.

BYE

Oh, I meant that he is a "real" author and not "just" a fluff/codex-writer, like, he still writes Gaunt's Ghost books, so if GW messes up the Tanith fluff, then they will mess up the whole Gaunt's Ghost line. And that's a big thing, not an oldcrons-newcrons case. And doing it just because FFG wants them in its expansion book is kinda' silly.

#44 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

AtoMaki said:

H.B.M.C. said:

AtoMaki said:

BYE

Oh, I meant that he is a "real" author and not "just" a fluff/codex-writer, like, he still writes Gaunt's Ghost books, so if GW messes up the Tanith fluff, then they will mess up the whole Gaunt's Ghost line. And that's a big thing, not an oldcrons-newcrons case. And doing it just because FFG wants them in its expansion book is kinda' silly.

This is kinda ironic really, given how much Abnett retcons and contradicts the rest of the 40k fluff just for his books.

Ultimately, GW can do, or authorise anyone to do, whatever they want with any part of the fluff, and that includes the Tanith.

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#45 LuciusT

LuciusT

• Members
  • 917 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

AtoMaki said:

H.B.M.C. said:

AtoMaki said:

BYE

I always find this an odd view, given the amount of modern 40K canon Abnett has created. All you have to do is look at the Armory chapter to see his influence. Words like vox, augmetics, lho sticks, obsurca… all Abnett. I know a lot people don't like Abnett because his take on the 40K universe don't jib with the old Rogue Trader and 2nd edition days, but the simple, obvious truth is that due to his popularity as an author, Abnett is the new canon.

#46 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

LuciusT said:

I always find this an odd view, given the amount of modern 40K canon Abnett has created. All you have to do is look at the Armory chapter to see his influence. Words like vox, augmetics, lho sticks, obsurca… all Abnett. I know a lot people don't like Abnett because his take on the 40K universe don't jib with the old Rogue Trader and 2nd edition days, but the simple, obvious truth is that due to his popularity as an author, Abnett is the new canon.

Not entirely - he was the one who used to, and still does, sometimes, seem to think that a couple of dozen people can crew a frigate (from Ravenor), and many other things that are flat out incorrect in every other source of 40k info.

He has influence, but he's by no means the largest contributor to the fluff.

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#47 Ferau

Ferau

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

While he definitely takes liberties with the setting, Abnett (and maybe Sandy Mitchell) is the only Black Library author who has even come close to making it feel lived in.  His characters, while maybe not the most original, are interesting and instantly relatable.  His approach to technology and eveyday life in the Imperium makes it seem more believable.  Before Abnett the constant hyperbolic nonsense of this setting was an indecipherable braindead mess. 

#48 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

I prefer Sandy Mitchell's stuff - given it contradicts less of the fluff from other sources, I see it as the superior 40k fiction (I prefer him to Abnett in general too, though I do like Abnett's stuff, but I think it being good fiction, and it being good 40k fiction, are two different things).

#49 Cifer

Cifer

• Members
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Once again agreed. Once Mitchell got it into his head that tech-priest robes are red, red, RED (yes, by the time of The Emperor's Finest, they really are), I haven't yet seen him break canon. He especially respects humanity's place among the least scary 40k denizens who often manage to pull through, but never take that for granted.

(And it's kind of funny how one of the most humoristic takes on the 40k universe manages to stay true to it most often)

#50 deinol

deinol

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

Anyway, more importantly, many of us don't care at all about using the default setting. These books have rules that work for just about any time from shortly after the Horus Heresy to far past the current tabletop timeline. So people want rules for cool stuff.

Just like the Deathwatch series (particularly Honour the Chapter) has rules for tons of chapters that aren't likely to be in the Deathwatch at all, or in whatever sector they made up for DW. (I for one appreciate that it has most of the chapters required to run a Badab War campaign, for example.)

#51 Face Eater

Face Eater

• Members
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

deinol said:

Anyway, more importantly, many of us don't care at all about using the default setting. These books have rules that work for just about any time from shortly after the Horus Heresy to far past the current tabletop timeline. So people want rules for cool stuff.

Just like the Deathwatch series (particularly Honour the Chapter) has rules for tons of chapters that aren't likely to be in the Deathwatch at all, or in whatever sector they made up for DW. (I for one appreciate that it has most of the chapters required to run a Badab War campaign, for example.)

Good getting steering back towards topic there. And yes of all of the 40K rpg's OW is kind of made to be played anywhere. You just need a war to fight and as we know in the grim darkness yadda yadda. You don't need a snowflake crusade you could set it in any warzone. From the Great Crusade, Horus Heresy to the Wars for Armageddon, The Macharian Crusade and The Sabbat World Crusade.

OW contains a description of the other settings for the 40K rpg's. I take that as a carte blanc to set a campaign in the Jericho reach, a war world in the Calixis sector or in the retinue of a Rogue Trader.

You don't even really need to commit to a whole campaign, a dramatic change in regiment type gives you a whole new game really rather than just changing you 'class' and going back to the start.

So are Pretorians going to be in Hammer of the Emperor?

#52 Frankie

Frankie

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

I really, really hope some of those 'Advanced Specialties' will be Guardsman-esque specialties instead of more non-Guardsman specialties. As is, only 5/12 of the specialties are for Guardsmen. It's like "hey, we can play Imperial Guardsmen now! What do you guys want to play?" "A stormtrooper/tech-priest enginseer/psyker".

I'm not saying Support Specialties are bad, but I hope the book still keeps some focus on playing Imperial Guardsmen.

Atleast there's a homebrew Siege Warfare specialty and Non-Ratling Marksman specialty. I'd like to see FFG do a Not-Adept specialty though. Something focused on the non-combat duties such as signalling and paperwork.

Adding in the Imperial Navy wouldn't really detrac from the theme of Only War, so long as the focus is on Armsmen and Aerospacecraft.

Even then, drop/paratrooper regiments DO make limited use of aircraft that are their own.

AtoMaki said:

H.B.M.C. said:

AtoMaki said:

BYE

How can you forget the Golden 'Everything and Nothing Is Canon' rule!?

And…yeah. The FFG fluff is great, but plenty of people run game set in different sectors, subsectors etc.

#53 deinol

deinol

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

So while 5/12 may be regular guardsmen, 12/12 are part of an Imperial Guard army and from the IG Codex. The only thing we are really missing is the Rough Rider, which is definitely coming here. I'm very happy with Only War so far. I just wish I could play it more.

I am very curious to see what else comes in Hammer of the Emperor.

#54 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

Getting some of those newer Abhumans from the 6e book (Felinids, Longhshanks) or some classics (Beastman or Squats would make me so absurdly happy) would be really, really cool. I'd love to se Beastmen, especially.

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS