X-Wing Squad Builder

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 voidstate

voidstate

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

Another little addition: the total in the Squadron List is now live, so you can see when other users have saved a new squadron.

Cheers

vs

· Try my Unoffical X-Wing Squadron Builder, see the 97,000+ squadrons other players have created or a list of all the X-Wing components.
· I spent the last year backpacking around SE Asia for a year with my wife and three identical triplet girls. Check out our blog to see where we got to: Travels With Triplets.

#42 AncientAngel

AncientAngel

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

Do you mind if I put a direct link to your squadron builder on my blog?

#43 voidstate

voidstate

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

AncientAngel said:

Of course not!

BTW, not sure if you've noticed but you signature is broken…

· Try my Unoffical X-Wing Squadron Builder, see the 97,000+ squadrons other players have created or a list of all the X-Wing components.
· I spent the last year backpacking around SE Asia for a year with my wife and three identical triplet girls. Check out our blog to see where we got to: Travels With Triplets.

#44 AncientAngel

AncientAngel

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:39 AM

voidstate said:

AncientAngel said:

Of course not!

BTW, not sure if you've noticed but you signature is broken…

I have tried to fix it several times with no luck on getting it to display correctly. Might be an issue with the software on my tablet. 

#45 Grape Starburst

Grape Starburst

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:07 AM

voidstate said:

Kaxel Vofer said:

It is a wondeful work, I really enjoy it, thanks for the page, greettings.

Thanks pillo

Also, just a quick bump to say I'e added a couple of improvemenets to the squadron lister. It now shows you how many squadrons match your filters, and also lets you filter squadrons by a specific ship type.

Cheers

vs

I've gotten a lot of use out of the squad builder and was wondering about the ship type filter. I don't kniow if this would take way too much work to do, but figured it doesn't hurt to ask.  Right now you have it so you can click on a ship type it will list all squads with that type in the squad. Any future plans on making the filter more in depth with something along the line of a quantity box for each ship type so players could search for squads containing multiple ship types and limit the number of each. So for example a new player who has a core set and one of each wave one expansion could search for squads including up to 1 Y-Wing and up to 2 X-Wings and not end up with a bunch of results that use more ships than he has available. Seems like it would be very useful for new players as well as vets who can't just go out and pick up 100 points worth of each ship type just in case they might eventually build a squad that needs that many ships of that type. Also very handy for when new waves comes out and players are slowing picking up the new ships as funds allow.

#46 voidstate

voidstate

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

Grape Starburst said:

I've gotten a lot of use out of the squad builder and was wondering about the ship type filter. I don't kniow if this would take way too much work to do, but figured it doesn't hurt to ask.  Right now you have it so you can click on a ship type it will list all squads with that type in the squad. Any future plans on making the filter more in depth with something along the line of a quantity box for each ship type so players could search for squads containing multiple ship types and limit the number of each. So for example a new player who has a core set and one of each wave one expansion could search for squads including up to 1 Y-Wing and up to 2 X-Wings and not end up with a bunch of results that use more ships than he has available. Seems like it would be very useful for new players as well as vets who can't just go out and pick up 100 points worth of each ship type just in case they might eventually build a squad that needs that many ships of that type. Also very handy for when new waves comes out and players are slowing picking up the new ships as funds allow.

I'm glad you like it and I like your suggestion a lot.

Unfortunately, the squadrons are not stored as a relationally as they should be but as text. I did this when I started the Squadron Builder to save time but it now means I can't query the data very effectively. That'll learn me, I guess.

I may be able to add a filter for individual pilots (so Luke Skywalker not just X-Wings) but I don't think I could do numbers.

I have thought about something in the builder where you put what sets you have and it disables everything you don't own but I wasn't sure people would use it and it'd be quite a lot of work to implement. Do you think that's something you'd find useful?

Cheers

vs

#47 Grape Starburst

Grape Starburst

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:49 AM

voidstate said:

Grape Starburst said:

I'm glad you like it and I like your suggestion a lot.

Unfortunately, the squadrons are not stored as a relationally as they should be but as text. I did this when I started the Squadron Builder to save time but it now means I can't query the data very effectively. That'll learn me, I guess.

I may be able to add a filter for individual pilots (so Luke Skywalker not just X-Wings) but I don't think I could do numbers.

I have thought about something in the builder where you put what sets you have and it disables everything you don't own but I wasn't sure people would use it and it'd be quite a lot of work to implement. Do you think that's something you'd find useful?

Cheers

vs

Glad you liked the suggestion even if, as I expected, it can't be done. I basicly thought of it because when I first decided to try a Rebel squad I only had 3 X-Wings and a Y-Wing so I wanted to search for builds that I could put together without going through a bunch of 4 X-Wing builds.

The disabling ships would be a step up from the current search where you can limit it to squads containing a particular ship, but unless a lot of people really want it its probably not worth the effort it would take to implement it.

#48 voidstate

voidstate

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

I've gone ahead and expanded the ship type dropdown to allow you to search for squadrons with a specific pilot.

Check it out: x-wing.voidstate.com/list

vs

#49 Slamdunk74

Slamdunk74

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

Tried to access the builder tonight and can't get there. Has something happened?

#50 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

• Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

Slamdunk74 said:

Tried to access the builder tonight and can't get there. Has something happened?

It's only appear a blank page, but i really enjoy the Squad Builder, thanks, greettings.

"That the reward for you, don´t be so high".

Kaxel Vofer.

#51 ForceM

ForceM

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

Hi guys,

i have to admit i have not red all of the thread, so if this problem i will bring up has been posted, sorry for that. Just ignore this.

I have used your squad builder a lot, especially to get my tournament lists right. I have no Facebook account, but even if it does not let me save it, it is still a great tool, and i can print. On IE it works perfectly too.

But i tried to access it with Safari on my Iphone 5, and there it shows some problems.

First of all sometimes it breaks down so i have to restart since the "working" symbol wont go away for several minutes.

Second, sometimes when i add a ship, the first one appears on top like it should but the rest is not visible until you scroll down… So they "hide" in the bottom of the page to say.

Third thing is that whenever i want to add an option,in the popup window i can only scroll a certain distance diwn, so i can't select anything below. I can scroll to be precise but as soon as i release my finger from the touchscreen, it always snaps back to a certain position.

I hope you can understand what i mean. This is no complaint, just wanted to point out some problems on the IOS the squadron builder still seems to have.

#52 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 973 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

Voidstate, I liked this before, but now it is even better! A friend of mine came to game night with the printout and I said, "Hey, I know that -- it's Voidstate's squadron builder!" So I have started using it again.

When you make a squad, it tells you how many times that squadron has been made before. Is it possible to talley up total wins losses for a squad that's used by multiple people? It would be cool to see how the squad I came up with is doing in the hands of other commanders with like minds.

Even if you can't, this is a great tool, and I appreciate all the work you've put into it.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#53 Sentry71

Sentry71

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

Great work on the builder. I noticed an issue in IE10… the icons for Rebel and Empire are displaying correctly at the top of the app, but the list of ships has the icons off by about 1/4 to the left. If you need a screenshot, PM me and I'll send what I can. Keep up the great work!

#54 voidstate

voidstate

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:12 AM

Parakitor said:

Voidstate, I liked this before, but now it is even better! A friend of mine came to game night with the printout and I said, "Hey, I know that -- it's Voidstate's squadron builder!" So I have started using it again.

When you make a squad, it tells you how many times that squadron has been made before. Is it possible to talley up total wins losses for a squad that's used by multiple people? It would be cool to see how the squad I came up with is doing in the hands of other commanders with like minds.

Even if you can't, this is a great tool, and I appreciate all the work you've put into it.

Thanks! it was a LOT of work but I'm proud of how well it turned out.

Anyway, it already does what you want. Build a simple 8 TIE swarm and you'll see: "win rate 100%" under how many times it's been built.

#55 voidstate

voidstate

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:20 AM

Sentry71 said:

Great work on the builder. I noticed an issue in IE10… the icons for Rebel and Empire are displaying correctly at the top of the app, but the list of ships has the icons off by about 1/4 to the left. If you need a screenshot, PM me and I'll send what I can. Keep up the great work!

Seems fine in IE10 to me…

Can I have that screenshot, please? If you look at the bottom left of the page on the squadron builder there's a feedback button. Could you post a screenshot there? That way it'll get put directly onto my to do list. Thanks.

#56 Sentry71

Sentry71

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

Info sent. Thanks!

#57 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

• Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

It's works again and wonderful like always do, it's a goo work, greettings.

"That the reward for you, don´t be so high".

Kaxel Vofer.

#58 darthbaugh

darthbaugh

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:50 AM

This squad builder is awesome.  Very  helpful to a new player like me. Thanks so much. 

#59 voidstate

voidstate

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:48 AM

Hi All

Thought you might like to know that I've added a couple of new features recently.

The Squadron Builder now generates random squadrons and prints out turn order charts.

Check it out and please feel free to pass on any feedback you have.

Cheers

vs

#60 ForceM

ForceM

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

Hi Voidstate.

The builder still has some issues with iPhone, although it is really a great tool.

The only thing i don't like about it is that it is made for facebook. i don't have it and i will probably never get it, and there is no other way of saving lists. I see why it is that way, just i have to print out all the lists i wanna play. Is there any possibility you will include another way of saving a list… perhaps as a small downloadable file or whatever.

Thank you!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS