I'm in the process of wrapping up a short Rogue Trader campaign, and while me and my players have had great fun running it we have had a few issues with the rules as written. One of the biggest sticking points with my players are the Career skill trees, the jumbled skill system, and the pace of advancement, as well as some of the combat rules reguarding automatic fire. The things that worked well for us was the Origin Path system which allowed us to come up with unique backstories while building our characters.
Most of the problems me and my group have encountered are addressed in FFG's latest entry to the 40k RPG line: Only War. So for me the solution is simple, update RT character creation rules to OW standards and use OW combat rules. The problem is that I don't want to throw the Origin Path out, and thus it will have to be redone.
I've created a google doc folder here: https://docs.google....mZFdG1mdnM/edit
My thought process and rational: https://docs.google....JS3w1bDn-8/edit
Homeworlds - https://docs.google....JjgtC4tn-c/edit
Birthrights - https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing
Lure of the Void - https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing
Motivation - https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing
Careers - https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing
Crossovers - https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing
Henchmen (unfinished) - https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing
My current delimas are:
- General balance issues, are there optimal choices?
- Are characters too powerful for people heading a rogue trader dynasty?
- Does the new system promote specialists or generalists.
- Have I missed anything significant which might impact player's enjoyment of the game?
- Have I made any spelling or gramatical mistakes? (hint: yes, I have)
- What do people think of Horde Rules?
- What do people think of Henchmen Rules?
Latest update 13/04/13
Any input is appretiated.