Tie Defender Values?

• Please log in to reply
346 replies to this topic

#341 Endgame124

Endgame124

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:46 AM

Hmm, if the Defender had no 1 maneuvers, Daredevil would suddenly be a very interesting EPT choice for it.

#342 Bilisknir

Bilisknir

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:21 AM

Indeed!

As an alternate idea, why not give it a red speed 1 turn, but put a special rule on the ship.

"Immediately after a speed 1 manoeuver you must attempt to perform a boost action. If you are unable to boost take an additional stress token. You may not perform any further actions, even free actions, this round." (We might have to add an anti Adv sensors caveat if we give it a system slot)

Bilisknir corrupt ver of Bilskirnir (Old Norse "lightning-crack"). The hall of the god Thor in Norse mythology.

Rebel: 5 X-Wing, 5 A-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 4 B-Wing, 2 YT1300, 3 HWK-290, 1 GR-75 Transport, 1 Corellian Corvette

Imperials: 9 Tie/ln, 10 Tie Int, 4 Tie Bomber, 3 Tie Adv, 2 Firespray-31, 2 Lambda-Class Shuttle

#343 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

I always thought that the Defender would be heavier and a little bit slower than ties, and certainly slower than interceptors. 

Defenders have all that extra equipment.  Cannon slot, shields, etc. 

I'm thinking, y-wing-ish.

Edited by Viceroy Bolda, 27 January 2014 - 09:57 AM.

Bulldog

"What's 'e going to do?  Nibble my bum?"

#344 Effenhoog

Effenhoog

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:18 AM

Regardless of how grossly exaggerated its capabilities have or have not been in various video games, the defender has been established in EU as an Imperial top of the line starfighter.  Whether you want to give it agility 2 or some other strategy to try and make room to fit in the avenger or whatever, the TIE defender's capabilities are clearly far superior to a Y-wing.  Even if you go the route of trying to make it some kind of multirole heavy weapons platform it would still have to be a very fast and maneuverable weapons platform, or you have basically discarded the premise of what the ship actually was/is.

• BattlePriest likes this

#345 TheRealStarkiller

TheRealStarkiller

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:50 AM

Background says that a TIE Defender is about 4 times the costs of a TIE Fighter.

So about 40 - 50 points for the TIE Defender base model would be 'quite realistic'.

Thats about the region of the unique falcon pilots.

Now imagine a small base model with large base model qualities and you have it.

Sir, rebel transports sighted \                              / Affirmative.                                                           

(-o-)  (-o-)    (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)    (-o-)  (-o-) 

Excellent! Gamma wing, prepare for torpedo run. We'll provide cover.

|-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   (<o>)   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   

#346 xevier77

xevier77

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:24 AM

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. I think your stats are off. I would go:

A:3

D:3

H:3

S:3 or 4 has to be balanced

Maybe 30 points or 28 would have to be heavily play tested

I could also see a Dodge of 4 with an attack of 2 maybe in a defensive mode.  As they were extremely agile even while not moving fast, but That might be reserved for Tie droid.

Reason: First off the Tie defender is the second most advanced Tie. First is the Tie Phantom.  Cant wait to see those.  Also the tie has the same base structure of the regular Ties, but with more advanced guts in it. Hence the 3 Hull.  It did have shields so I would give it shields. How many? Not 8! thats just broken.  I would do no more than 4 maybe 3.  You have to remember that Tie defenders are not a cheap or easily learn ship.  Pilots were practically  aces and the systems were very expensive.  Thats why i give it a high cost.  Mine would also be a base tie defender with about 5 or 6 PS no name pilot.  Again everything has to be heavily play tested.

Cant wait to see what they come up with.

#347 Kaimuund

Kaimuund

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:25 PM

@Black Knight Leader

I made a Royal Guard TIE Defender. I was thinking about giving the Royal Guard Title to them, but now that they have been released, I think that would be a HUGE point dump. I had them about 2 - 3 points less than they are now, but had a less effective movement dial for them. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS