• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

Narsil0420 said:

To my mind, difficulty should be determined by win/loss percentage of a quest with the available cards. For example a scenario that you win 50% of the time you play it should be difficulty 5 and a scenario you win 70% of the time you play it should be a level 3. This is why I keep a reccord on Google Docs of my wins and losses each time I play, for each scenario. This lets me look back and compare my win ratio to the difficulty level to see how close FFG got.

For instance, 'Into the Pit' and 'Watcher in the Water' both match up exactly with the difficulty level assigned to them. In contrast, Dead Marshes is way off because I've never lost a game of it out of 10 plus plays even though it's Level 5. Of course FF probably doesn't have the time to play a scenario as many times as it would take to get a clear picture every time.

Difficulty level is based on encounter sets which is create encounter deck. Look for example to second cycle: every quest which is content encounter set (i dont remember the name) with a Moria trolls, Orc Drummer and Drums in the deep is always difficult 7 or higher (in the case of Shadow and Flame is 8).

So actually in theory you can change encounter deck in any quest to make it more interesting and difficult.

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#22 RGun

RGun

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

Damn Zealous Traitor!  I finally made it to stage 3 for the first time and was all set to make a massive push when out springs Zealous Traitor and takes out 6 of my allies!  I thought I could still make it until to my dismay I realized it was not a Battle stage and the majority of my remaining party all had crappy willpower….

#23 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:48 AM

This quest is brutal.  There is no way a Gondor 5 = a Mirkwood 5.  

"Finally!" - Nalir the Dwarf

Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#24 impaulm

impaulm

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

Yeah, these quests are rough! The issue with the Battle keyword is that you have no attack power afterwards so the enemies just stick around. I almost wish there was some sort of effect where a successful quest phase would result in one damage on each enemy in play.

I was able to beat the first quest twice. Once with a Dain, Nori, Bifur deck and then with a Leadership Boromir, Lore Aragorn, Theodred deck. 

Second quest is a bear too, and I have not had any luck yet, after three attempts. 

#25 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

impaulm said:

Yeah, these quests are rough! The issue with the Battle keyword is that you have no attack power afterwards so the enemies just stick around. I almost wish there was some sort of effect where a successful quest phase would result in one damage on each enemy in play.

I was able to beat the first quest twice. Once with a Dain, Nori, Bifur deck and then with a Leadership Boromir, Lore Aragorn, Theodred deck. 

Second quest is a bear too, and I have not had any luck yet, after three attempts. 

So is mean you really need to cooperate with your partner in 2 or more player game. So this make game more difficult and feeling and andrenalin go up.

Also as i see there is no crazy powerful players cards like in previous sets so encounter deck geting more powerful and balance is better.

#26 impaulm

impaulm

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:33 AM

I agree Glaurung, it does seem like multiplayer cooperation must be emphasized with these quests.

I'm wondering what strategies will arise for the solo player, who doesn't want to change his/her deck for each quest, to tackle HoN. I sure have not found the balance yet. These quests just made the solo do-it-all deck that much harder.  This is a good thing! 

#27 raven614

raven614

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

Anyone have a problem with taking Beorn on this quest? He is the bear btw.

I do like the new keywords battle and siege it just adds one more dimension to the already complex problem, cheers ffg.

also on the last quest card (escape to the quays) the card effect says that the first enemy immediatly attacks the holder of the scroll. After that attack I put the enemy in the staging area. That's the way I thought best. Any comments?

#28 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

Loving the new scenarios and player cards!

I got worked once in 2 player but then had a great game where we won 3 player. Once you get over the initial hump it's not as bad (in 3 player anyway).

To answer the above question, the card says that the enemy attacks from the staging area.

#29 raven614

raven614

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:17 AM

Yeah your right duh. Also it attacks the player not specificaly the hero that carries the scroll. Also have to remember when that hero takes damage they lose the scroll to the enemy. Got to be patient and read everything.

#30 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:07 AM

Finally beat PiP with Glorifindel (Spirit), Aragorn (Lore) and Legolas.  An early Unexpected Courage on Aragorn was key as was his ability ro turn the threat clock back to 26 as I didn't get a Light of Valinor until late in the game.

Edit:  Forgot to add that Northern Tracker becomes even more valuable in siege and battle scenarios because then he is questing for 2 instead of 1 and adding travel tokens to locations.  Plus his three hit points helps keep him alive.

"Finally!" - Nalir the Dwarf

Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#31 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,803 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

just beat this on second go with two handed decks

beregond/legolas/hama

elrond/glorfindel/strider

very nice quest. the damage event is deadly though

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#32 ClydeCloggie

ClydeCloggie

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:46 AM

Beat it on the first go, with a Spirit Glorfindel, Tactics Boromir and Lore Aragorn deck. 

Leaving the Scroll unattached unless needed (end of stage 2 and 3) was crucial to reduce the risk of damaging a hero. I was lucky when the 4th Collateral Damage discarded just one location but also a great line-up of enemies including the assassin, a bandit and a traitor. The 2nd Zealous Traitor was taklen care of by a Ranger Spikes (really nice card that).

Cheap strong Tactics allies quested hard on the first two quests and then stage 3 was a bit of a survival with not an awful lot of willpower available. But because I had board control, the single card from the encounter deck couldn't do enough to keep me away from the win. Reducing threat to starting level was also crucial as Glorfindel, Boromir and Aragorn (with Local Trouble) were all making the threat dial go crazy.

Won on the 10th turn, with 9 wounds (4 on Aragorn, 3 on Boromir and 2 on Glorfindel), threat at 35 and the 3 VPs of The Lepaing Fish.

I liked this scenario a lot!

Onwards into Ithilien now.

#33 impaulm

impaulm

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:31 AM

I've been having luck with a spirit Glorfindel, Elrond, Legolas deck. The new tactics defender and some of the eagles had to be added to the deck to really make it excel. My goal is to still be able to use this all-around deck for willpower only quests too. We'll see how that works…

#34 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:29 AM

impaulm said:

I've been having luck with a spirit Glorfindel, Elrond, Legolas deck. The new tactics defender and some of the eagles had to be added to the deck to really make it excel. My goal is to still be able to use this all-around deck for willpower only quests too. We'll see how that works…

I just started using this hero combo.  Really working out great. Some wins and some losses for the first two heirs scenarios have not tried the third yet. Also tried it on journey along the aundin an into the pit without a problem.  I've been using 3 copies of light of valinor, rivendell blade, asfaloth, and blade of gondlin.  Which can be played on any of the heroes.  Not a lot of allies in the deck, and I have been winning the games with maybe 1 or 2 in play.  Which is a lot different my dwarf swarm method which also did well on the first two scenarios.

'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#35 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:27 AM

I was able to manage it fron the first attempt with my Aragorn/Frodo/Glorifindel(spirit) deck but it was hard. Then i play another 2 game and terrible lost.

Then i try my superpower Dwarf deck and win but it also was very hard. I love it! Quite cool! Looks like you really need Tactic to play against HON.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS