What is the future of AGoT?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mauler78

mauler78

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:46 AM

I am looking to get into AGoT, and of course to buy complete into the game all at once at this point is completely overwhelming.

However, I heard a nasty rumor that FFG was not going to continue to expand AGoT after they finish with the planned number of expansions.

So, I have few questions regarding this information.

First, is FFG planning on not continuing to expand AGoT?

Second, how many expansion was FFG intending on doing but they were going to make a choice about continuing the line?

Third, if they did decide to stop expanding the game ( the horror), are they going to continue to print that game, or will it slowly fade out of existence?

Thanks

#2 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:54 AM

No idea where you heard any of that but AGoT is FFG's most successful LCG. They have been reprinting old expansions as they are selling out. The game is even bigger now since the HBO show started. It is the most played at their competitive level events.

#3 -Istaril

-Istaril

• Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:54 AM

We already know that there are 6 more chapter packs "finalized" and coming out (the "Song of the Sea" cycle), and none of us doubt that work on the next cycle is underway.

There has been no sign that FFG support for AGOT is waning (in fact, support for organized play is definitely on the rise), except that they aren't releasing "deluxe" expansions - given that they released one for every house, that may have been the end-goal anyway. 

So to assuage, if not eliminate your doubts, there are no warning signs that the game is losing popularity or support from either the players or the company.

#4 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,659 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:34 AM

-Istaril said:

except that they aren't releasing "deluxe" expansions - given that they released one for every house, that may have been the end-goal anyway. 
Do we actually know that? Yes, "deluxe expansions" centering on one of the 6 houses, were coming out regularly for a few years, and now that there is one for each House, there doesn't seem to be another one in the near future, but was it announced somewhere that there will be no more "deluxe expansions" ever again?

That said, this is probably the source of the "there will be no more expansions" rumor. FFG is certainly still going to continue "expanding the game" through Chapter Packs, no matter what ultimately happens with deluxe expansions.

#5 Reldan

Reldan

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:16 AM

Yeah, I'm not really sure what direction they could go with deluxe expansions at this point that wouldn't make just as much sense to implement as a chapter pack.  Maybe some sort of Neutral-focused box?

The last time the game was lagging was back when they made the decision to cut off the CCG and start this whole new "LCG" concept.  It certainly worked well enough that they've kept it going for years now (and continue to copy it for other games as well).  It seems like, if anything, they're selling more new packs than ever, and I can only imagine what the HBO show and the new starter based on it will continue to do for the game.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS