NEW HERO PREVIEW

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

My biggest concern with the article is the fact that it implies that these new mechanics (battle/siege) are only for one expansion + cycle.

Which means that the previous mechanics (secrecy) are also only for one cycle - which is okay in the case of battle/siege, which can be applied as it makes sense. But secrecy is the kind of deck building concept that needs constant support throughout the life of the game to maintain (or arguably to become) viable.

We really need secrecy keyworded cards to be released at a reasonable rate (2-3 per cycle, + 1 per expansion perhaps) to make it a viable compared to just having 3 heroes. Otherwise it will become increasingly poor.

Alternatively more fetch cards (that are cheap) might make it work better, even just a cost 0 or 1 card that said, search your deck for a secrecy keyword card and put it into your hand. (This would enable you to increase the hit rate on important cards before you go over 20 threat).

Edit: On the other hand I really like the look of this expansion + cycle, I think it will be great, but I was hoping for more sustained support rather than bursts of support for one theme then another.

#22 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

Sounds like a good set……… Very gooooooooood seeeet!!!

What i like about HON: encounter cards is quite powerful but players cards is quite balanced and less power then before. which is good, cose we have already a lot powerful players cards from the last sets. sounds like this will be a good challenge for advanced players also.Also i really like the idea of Battle and siege questing.  Cannot wait!

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#23 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

Rapier said:

My biggest concern with the article is the fact that it implies that these new mechanics (battle/siege) are only for one expansion + cycle.

Which means that the previous mechanics (secrecy) are also only for one cycle - which is okay in the case of battle/siege, which can be applied as it makes sense. But secrecy is the kind of deck building concept that needs constant support throughout the life of the game to maintain (or arguably to become) viable.

We really need secrecy keyworded cards to be released at a reasonable rate (2-3 per cycle, + 1 per expansion perhaps) to make it a viable compared to just having 3 heroes. Otherwise it will become increasingly poor.

Alternatively more fetch cards (that are cheap) might make it work better, even just a cost 0 or 1 card that said, search your deck for a secrecy keyword card and put it into your hand. (This would enable you to increase the hit rate on important cards before you go over 20 threat).

Edit: On the other hand I really like the look of this expansion + cycle, I think it will be great, but I was hoping for more sustained support rather than bursts of support for one theme then another.

As i say  before we need to forget about secrecy for now. Maybe is coning again in the future but not in this cycle.

#24 Moses2813

Moses2813

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:03 AM

If I read the article correctly, we will be seeing the box set next week!!!

#25 monkeyrama

monkeyrama

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:48 AM

Another cost 1 ally! Fun! He can lament with the Snowborn Scouts about always being cannon fodder. :(

Actually, it looks like a useful ally, so maybe not so much with the dying for the Errand-riders. SoG plus the cheap Errand-riders allows for some really nice resource manipulation, which really looks to be a Gondorian theme. Which is awesome.

#26 monkeyrama

monkeyrama

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

Actually, Gondor looks like it's all about resources. The new Boromir requires them, Blood of Numenor gets better the more resources you have, two attachments give resources from Gondor, characters reduce in cost via other characters being in play, you can move resources around, or just get them straight up through an event, plus the Master of Lore can help cut costs for lore cards. Very, very nicely done theme, and we haven't even got one of the APs yet.

#27 starhawk77

starhawk77

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

monkeyrama said:

Actually, it looks like a useful ally, so maybe not so much with the dying for the Errand-riders. SoG plus the cheap Errand-riders allows for some really nice resource manipulation, which really looks to be a Gondorian theme. Which is awesome.

Yeah, several of those cards have really nice synergies with the new Boromir and the Blood of Numenor attachment. Also, take a look at the Envoy of Pelargir--it's essentially a 1/1/0/1 for 1 resource in a Gondor deck. If you're using Boromir (which you are), it's 2 attack for 1 resource. That's crazy good.

#28 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 729 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:31 AM

Love the new Boromir and the artwork. Absolutely love Magali's work and even though the character doesn't look as rugged as I've always imagined him, I love the pose of him high up in the white city looking across the plains. Granted I was really looking forward to a hero Faromir, but I guess I can wait. Looking forward to the new deck compilations this set will require

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#29 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

Pharmboys2013 said:

Love the new Boromir and the artwork. Absolutely love Magali's work and even though the character doesn't look as rugged as I've always imagined him, I love the pose of him high up in the white city looking across the plains. Granted I was really looking forward to a hero Faromir, but I guess I can wait. Looking forward to the new deck compilations this set will require

I suspect you'll only be waiting for one of the AP packs.

#30 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

Rapier said:

Pharmboys2013 said:

I suspect you'll only be waiting for one of the AP packs.

I bet your are right. Faramir might make it in Steward's Fear, though Denethor would be nicely thematic. I guess Denethor will be hero #4 who get a second copy. We should have a thread about what sphere the hero Faramir shall be. Maybe Lore to go with the new Rangers? Spirit is a stern candidate also…

#31 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 729 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:53 AM

I agree that thematically Denethor makes the most sense for the first AP obviously but I can def see Faramir being in the 2nd. I can see him tracking enemies through the forest; or at least I'm hoping we won't have to wait more than 2 APs for a fan favorite 

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#32 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:01 AM

Yes Faramir Lore with some traps, snare and rangers will be quite cool thematically.

#33 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:12 AM

Pharmboys2013 said:

I agree that thematically Denethor makes the most sense for the first AP obviously but I can def see Faramir being in the 2nd. I can see him tracking enemies through the forest; or at least I'm hoping we won't have to wait more than 2 APs for a fan favorite 

Interesting you mention a fan favourite. I have not seen any such polls recently but it does seem people in general (and maybe Tolkien himself) favour Faramir over Boromir (and many others, of course). For myself, Boromir has always been a far more interesting character, though I certainly felt for Faramir also.

#34 jjeagle

jjeagle

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:55 AM

lleimmoen said:

Interesting you mention a fan favourite. I have not seen any such polls recently but it does seem people in general (and maybe Tolkien himself) favour Faramir over Boromir (and many others, of course). For myself, Boromir has always been a far more interesting character, though I certainly felt for Faramir also.

I don't have the reference to hand, but I believe that Tolkien did in fact state that Faramir was the character that he most identified with.

"I have no help to send, therefore I must go myself."

#35 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

Yes. I have heard the same. And it is quite a good choice as Faramir does show a great spirit. For me it is probably the rough deal Boromir get to strongly identify with the character, and his redemption. I have heard/read also that the redemption of Boromir was very important to Tolkien as a writer.

#36 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&campid=&toolid=10001&customid=UID-410645-TH-FLINK&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FHeirs-of-Numenor-LotR-Lord-of-the-Rings-Card-Game-NEW-SEALED-deluxe-expansion-%2F261132163321%3Fpt%3DGames_US%26hash%3Ditem3cccb098f9

Here is some cards pictures

#37 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

ETA for the UK release is Tuesday 

http://www.the13thfloor.co.uk/product.asp?item=46013

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#38 jjeagle

jjeagle

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

jjeagle said:

lleimmoen said:

I don't have the reference to hand, but I believe that Tolkien did in fact state that Faramir was the character that he most identified with.

"As far as any character is 'like me', it is Faramir - except that I lack what all my characters possess….Courage" [letter of 14 Jan 1956]

Tolkien knew something about courage, having fought in the Battle of the Somme.

#39 jjeagle

jjeagle

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:11 PM

spalanzani said:

ETA for the UK release is Tuesday 

http://www.the13thfloor.co.uk/product.asp?item=46013

On sale now at Gameslore in the UK:

http://www.gameslore..._Expansion.html

#40 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:00 AM

jjeagle said:

jjeagle said:

lleimmoen said:

"As far as any character is 'like me', it is Faramir - except that I lack what all my characters possess….Courage" [letter of 14 Jan 1956]

Tolkien knew something about courage, having fought in the Battle of the Somme.

Yeah, indeed. It is a very humble statement by mr Tolkien. And thanks for the quote. So it was not exactly his favourite but closest to him.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS