Elder Sign Statistics Reports

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:50 AM

Haha oh, I wish. I'm not responsible for getting the Arkham stats thread pinned, but I did ask them to re-pin it when it got un-pinned. I think I know how that happened anyway, and I won't do what I did to un-pin it.

Anyway, yeah! The site still looks good. 1.78 submissions per day is lower than the 2.8-or-so around launch, so I hope it picks up concurrent with the release of Unseen Forces.

#22 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,449 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

Re-upping this for visibility... Tibs, have you tried contacting someone at FFG to have this thread pinned?

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#23 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

Nah. I didn't ask to get the Arkham Stats pinned originally. I'm more interested to see if it gets pinned on its own merit, or if someone else requests it.

Thanks for the visibility bump! And, keep submitting! We need more Unseen Forces entries.

#24 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,449 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

Aye, I just submitted another game (Shudde). I'm trying to do two complete rotations of all AOs (one without, and one with Master Mythos in) just to see how UF impacts my games

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#25 CaptnM

CaptnM

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:30 AM

Ahoy there, fellow investigators,

first I got washed up on these shores here, after several encounters my lady and I faced against 3 unspeakable horrors from beyond. However, it seems the eldritch mechanics that assist us in keeping those darned Ancient beasties in check have changed before we had to confront the horrors (using the basic revised printing rules, playing very smoothly).

In short: first time on the FFG forum, I just had to register when I found this forum and this thread in particular. First of all, hats off for creating that statistics report. Seems like we're all on a winning streak here,  or maybe we can expect some skewed results with people not registering losses?

Cheers,

Captn M.

#26 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

Ahoy, CaptnM.

My best answer to your question is that it's actually just too easy to win. I'm sure future expansions will help to take care of that (not that I'm implying there are any). I myself have a project nearly through the tube and ready for upload...

#27 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:13 PM

Interesting news!

A sufficient number of games has been submitted to declare that the Master Mythos option has a difficulty of 17.02%, as opposed to the 16.17% difficulty of using no option.

Edited by Tibs, 31 August 2013 - 07:14 PM.

#28 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,449 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:49 AM

A slight increase then! Good to know :) Just for curiosity... how many games is "enough games" to have data entered to generate some sort of output statistics?

#29 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

Enough so that its difficulty is higher than when using no option/expansion :P

This of course means it's possible that it'll fall back into "insufficient" sometime in the future...

• Julia likes this

#30 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:38 AM

Hey everyone. Apparently I forgot to add the two new defeat conditions (Abhoth's and Shudde M'ell's) to the submission form. This has been corrected and I've corrected the two submissions I suspect were affected by it.

#31 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:33 AM

To follow-up from my last post, someone submitted the first World Cracking defeat! Gnarly!

#32 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,449 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:35 AM

Gnarly!

Nope, Nyarly is another AO : shudde® :

:P :P :P

#33 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

Gubirobi has suggested that I add a "game length" question, and the spreadsheet has been updated with such.

After some poking at it, I've also added a Time page on the report. It's blank now, but that's because you guys need to submit more games! If I've done my formulas correctly, the Time page will update fluidly as more info is added.

Edited by Tibs, 18 March 2014 - 07:22 PM.

#34 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:22 AM

Just a friendly reminder: the Time entry requires the play time in minutes. If you put something like "2.5 hr" it is a string and the formulas would crash. I've now hard-wired my code to ignore anything besides numerical entries outright.

I'll try to catch and correct such entries if I find them.

#35 ObsessiveGamer

ObsessiveGamer

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:35 AM

Question: How important is Game length in these statistics?  I want to submit my data, but my game lengths are always iffy because I'm playing on Vassal on my computer and I can't think of a time when I've sat down and played all the way through without getting distracted by email, my cell phone, my husband, etc....

Should I guess how much time was ACTUALLY spent on the game?  Should I put the time from start to finish as if I didn't spend many minutes away from the game?  Should I leave that slot blank?  Should I keep my data out and save it for the serious players that don't have the distraction issues I do?

#36 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,449 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:08 AM

Point for "time" is to allow Tibs to do an actual statistical inference on how much the game lasts when played tabletop. So, since you play on pc, I think the best is if you simply skip reporting the length of the game

• ObsessiveGamer likes this

#37 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:13 AM

Yeah that's what I'd recommend. If you were playing the tabletop version, chances are, you'd be playing with other people and you'd be less likely to be distracted by non-game stuff. The entry is geared toward the "actual" copy anyway so don't bother entering a time.

...which kills me because as you can see, there are so few timed entries that I only have (tenuous) stats for two player counts, and not nearly enough info to draw up a best-fit line. I'm starving for times. Ugh. 

Edited by Tibs, 13 April 2014 - 10:13 AM.

#38 ObsessiveGamer

ObsessiveGamer

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:19 AM

Thanks, Julia and Tibs.  I'll definitely keep stats the next time I play in person, including time in minutes, but I'm leaving that part out for my Vassal runs.

Question, though: under the Investigators tab, why are some Win %s and Battle %s missing under Team size?  Those seem like they should have entries even if there's only been one game won with that many people...

#39 ObsessiveGamer

ObsessiveGamer

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:25 AM

Question: what exactly is the purpose of recording games that were forfeited?  How do you define a forfeit?

I ask because, when I'm playing solo on Vassal, I forfeit games ALL THE TIME.  As a way of forcing myself to be careful and think about the rules, I forfeit when I realize I've broken one and I can't remember what happened well enough to go back to the point I think I messed up and play properly.

I'm assuming, however, that you wouldn't want those reported - that you want reported the games that multiple people were playing tabletop, and they felt that failure was too inevitable, so they just gave in and let the Ancient One devour them?

Am I correct on this?

(I'm of the personal opinion that forfeiting is lame.  Play the game through to its bitter end.  My husband was CONVINCED that the last game we played together was going to be a failure - things just kept going so terribly.  He wanted to just start over before one day had even passed.  It came down to the final battle, and my investigator ultimately won against Hastur.  But if I'd listened to my husband, Hastur would have won!)

#40 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:47 PM

Certain percents are missing because I don't have sufficient data to produce a meaningful answer. As more games trickle in eventually that entry will display.

Forfeit is supposed to be when you've played a game to the point where you have to give up because of either time or hopelessness. It's also interesting to see what percentage of games end prematurely because players don't want to play through the end.

Yeah, a game where you made such a significant rules mistake that it would compromise the game result shouldn't be reported, right.

Congrats on your Hastur win! Unless you beat down the monster count, he can be DAUNTING.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS