48 replies to this topic

#41 magadizer

magadizer

2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

• Members
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

Theterrainstudio said:

Taking into all what you have said about, why people will or will not shoot Wedge/Luke first.

Thoughts about a power house set-up

Wedge

- squad leader

- R2F2

Luke

- protons

- R2D2

Dutch

- ion cannon

- R5K6

Personally I'd rather have Expert Handling on Wedge than Squad Leader, for that extra maneuverability to set up his range 1 kill shots.

Be seeing you.

#42 TrueFiction

TrueFiction

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

I haven't gotten around to trying this list out yet but i was thinking about:

Wedge - no upgrade

Biggs - no upgrade

Gold Squadron Pilot(x2) - Ion Cannon Turret(x2)

The idea being keep Biggs at range 1 of Wedge to soak up fire, giving Wedge more time on the board. If outnumbered, the Y-Wings will attempt to keep 2 enemy ships immobilized, setting them up for Wedge and Biggs.

What do you think?

#43 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

TrueFiction said:

Wedge - no upgrade

Biggs - no upgrade

The idea being keep Biggs at range 1 of Wedge to soak up fire, giving Wedge more time on the board. If outnumbered, the Y-Wings will attempt to keep 2 enemy ships immobilized, setting them up for Wedge and Biggs.

What do you think?

I like this list

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#44 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

Hrathen said:

Theterrainstudio said:

Taking into all what you have said about, why people will or will not shoot Wedge/Luke first.

Thoughts about a power house set-up

Wedge

- squad leader

- R2F2

Luke

- protons

- R2D2

Dutch

- ion cannon

- R5K6

This is a pretty solid list, but R2D2 on Luke make a ship that is already hard to kill harder to kill.  Wedge and Dutch will attract all your enemies fire and Luke's (and R2D2's) abilities will be waisted.

You have three Different Droids, I don't have them all memorized, but that is a lot of points for them

If you want to go with three ships, giving Wedge Proton Torpedoes (especially if Dutch is around) is a good idea.

r2f2 is a horrible idea for wedge, hes much better at survivng when he focus (or needs a kill shot) 

R2D2 is great on luke, mainly because either they can choose to go after wedge first (hes their biggest threat in the short run) or luke -if they dont focus fire on him during the first few rounds, they wont have enough fire power to keep his sheilds down when its endgame

This is one of the main reasons Xwing is awesome! http://community.fan...ake-long/page-4

#45 MerryVulture

MerryVulture

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

TrueFiction said:

Wedge - no upgrade

Biggs - no upgrade

What do you think?

I have had much success with this list. More importantly, I have had much fun with this list.

Rebel: More than most, less than some.

Empire: Ditto

#46 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

ScottieATF said:

If you still have ship advantage after A is achieved, your opponent should concede…unless he's a tool, or just that good. (in a tournament game)

I question the bolded statement.  Luke with R2 is a third of a 100pt squadron.  He is particularly difficult to kill as well.  I would see no reason to concede that game unless the Imperial squadron was untouched.  I think it's really unreasonable to expect a concession with a third of a squadron still active, particularly in a tournament where Luke would out-point two TiEs (depending on pilots).  Based on how scoring works in tournaments concession is always a poor choice as forcing your opponenent into a Modified Match Win could allow you to place ahead of them in the end.  For example in a three round tournament if in the final round you have to Match Wins and your opponent has two Modified Match Wins, you'd take the tournament by fighting off the Match Win.

Allow me to clarify. Ship advantage in this instance is 3 TIEs to  Luke, and concede can be an outright concession, or a loss due to time.   Yes, Luke can make green maneuvers  and focus, but green maneuvers mean predictability which means he gets shot.  Luke might be able to eke out a timed win, but not with green maneuvers and not when the TIEs take evade every round and decide not to attack.

Point is, once a game has been reduced to 3 TIEs on Luke, it just becomes tedious. It's not a hopeless situation, but it doesn't look good for Luke. Play it out a few rounds. Great. But if the game is leaning more towards a timed loss for the rebellion, take the timed loss,  go get a snack, and spend the remaining time making a friend. That's my opinion.

#47 Theterrainstudio

Theterrainstudio

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

Ok….

Wedge

- Protons, Marksmanship, R5K6

Luke

- Squad Leader, R5

Dutch

- Ion Cannon, R5D8

Ideas:

Wedge - hits hard with protons, and marksmanship. Use R5K6 to attempt to keep the target locks on for free.  Worse case Dutch gives him one, allowing the marksmanship to be effective.

Luke - Gives out free actions to dutch - to allow him to use R5D8 and minmize damage, Luke has surviability, and with the extra droid he can hope to minimize the damage he is dealt should it be critical.

Dutch - Hits hard with ion cannon to slow ships down, Uses actions to acquire target locks and gives freebie to Wedge.  Minimize damage via the R5D8 droid and the free actions from Luke.

This group obviously works best clustered and within range 1-2 of each other, outside the formation each ship has its weakness but in close they have some nice overlapping coverage I think.  Thoughts?

#48 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

you should have wedge and dutch swap astromechs, squad leader on luke is very wasted since the only person who can benefit from it is dutch, i suggest you take that and his R5 astromech out and give him marksmanship instead. R5D8 is inferior to R2D2, I only consider R5D8 when i already have R2D2 in the team. something like:

Wedge

-Ptorps, R2D2, expert handling

Luke

-Marksmanship

Dutch

-ionC, R5K6

R5K6 given to Dutch because of the synergy between them, if R5K6's ability goes through, Dutch ability activates again. This frees up actions for both Wedge and Luke, who can then use it for other things like marksmanship etc. i switch marksmanship over to luke to make him a bit more combaty, and gave expert handling to Wedge. He can do things like green maneuver, repair 1 shield via R2D2, then barrel roll out of an enemy firing arc, then still plummet somebody with Dutch's free target lock. On the next turn, another green maneuver to get rid of stress and repair 1 shield, and you can barrel roll again, i think you can see where this is going. Luke with marksmanship is pretty good since now he has Dutch to give him the target locks, he doesn't really need focus either due to his ability.

if you need more staying power because you are a 3 ship build and find yourself taken out too quickly, toss the R2D2 over to Luke with this exact same build.

#49 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:34 AM

That's pretty much the same build I was going to try out.  Hopefully after Christmas I'll have a few more ships to throw into my squad, but for now I'm on a buying freeze per my wife's orders so that things can be used as presents…

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS