After asking a few questions over at the rules forums, I've decided I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. To summarize…
AM do not seem all that game changing to me given that they:
(1) cost 5 points -- making them one of the most expensive upgrades,
(2) require a target lock,
(3) work only at range 2-3,
(4) require the target locked ship in your 90 degree firing arc,
(5) require that you actually hit the targeted ship -- and you've already spent your target lock so you can't reroll,
(6) that the targeted has to have one or more ships within one of them to really be worth it -- otherwise, there are cheaper alternatives,
(7) that they also effect friendly ships that happen to be near the target,
(8) are available to both sides,
(9) work only once per ship, and
(10) you have to be prepared for all types of squads and not just swarm squads.
Am I missing that makes some folks think these are a game changer (besides the fact that there is a vary remote chance that they could do a lot of harm every now and then).
I'd say the possibility of successfully using Assault Missiles to take out an opponents entire squad are approximately 3,720 to 1. Though I have been known to make mistakes… from time to time… Oh dear.
I know, I know… never tell me the odds.