Photo

What would you think of a ground unit version?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

As you sort of alluded to, my problem with a 28mm (or thereabouts) scale minis game is basically "been there, done that." Could maybe be done BETTER, but I'd still like to see something different. Tactical Ground is the only thing that hasn't been tackled yet, and I really think there's a place for it.

It IS worth pointing out that there are more options for the Rebel camp, if you and FFG are willing to accept a bit of EU: Remember the West End Games D6 RPG? The Rebel Alliance Sourcebook offers up the Freerunner, "Tramp Shuttle" armed landspeeder, ULAV, and Heavy Tracker. None of these are up to the threat level of an AT-AT or Juggernaut, but they DO mean the Rebel Scum aren't confined to airspeeders and hairy ponies.

And, of course, there's the Clone Wars. Yep, I think that would be fun.

#42 Zehmyan

Zehmyan

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

Hrathen said:

IG-58 said:

Well, actually, if I could snap my fingers and have my druthers, I'd go for 1/144. It'd be perfectly manageable; if you want an idea, look no further than F-Toys. The ground vehicles in that line consist of the AT-AT, AT-ST, AT-TE, TIE Crawler, AAT, snowspeeder and even a trooper on speeder bike. Oh, and Lord Vader. The scale works real nice for a table.

1/270 would allow for bigger, cheaper combats and a smaller required play area; but yeah, infantry pretty much disappears at that size. 1/144 is really the smallest size where foot units are recognizable, and viable as miniatures.

At those scales how would you handle infantry?

TOKENS~!

#43 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

The whole point of a miniatures game is the flippin' MINIATURES. Otherwise, just play Squad Leader. Good game; not a minis game.

So NO, no pogs or tokens. Minis game. Miniatures.

#44 flvolunteer

flvolunteer

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:58 AM

IG-58 said:

As you sort of alluded to, my problem with a 28mm (or thereabouts) scale minis game is basically "been there, done that."

I agree that we have "been" there, but for those of us who were not lucky enough to pick up some of the miniatures we are left flapping in the wind unless we want do drop $25+ each to get Scout troopers on bikes or some of the other rare miniatures.

IG-58 said:

The Rebel Alliance Sourcebook offers up the Freerunner, "Tramp Shuttle" armed landspeeder, ULAV, and Heavy Tracker….And, of course, there's the Clone Wars. Yep, I think that would be fun.

Exactly what I was thinking! There was also an enterprising individual who expanded SWMB by publishing a home-grown 3rd edition that included Droid control centers and even more of the EU material.  I'm of the opinion that, once FFG establishes a foothold in the market, they will have a lot more freedom to explore the material outside the films.  It could dovetail nicely with projects that will be coming out of Disney, too.

What I'm REALLY hoping for is that they expand the game across several scales and formats.  There is no reason they can't create a 28mm Rebellion Era miniatures game and an epic scale Old Republic Era Game then eventually do a crossover with them!

Thanks,

FL Volunteer

(aka "Mr. Cupcake")

http://www.thejustdiceleague.org

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS