SW LCG Dream Cards

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#141 Demas

Demas

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:21 PM

I was listening to Geoff Engelstein's Ludology GameTech segment on the Dice Tower podcast recently and he raised a mechanic which I would love to see somehow employed in a game, and could probably find a place within Star Wars.

He called it Liturgy & Antidosis; the elemental example given was Player 1 having the freedom to divide a pie in two any way she likes, with the understanding that Player 2 has the freedom to elect which player gets which portion.

I can already think of half-a-dozen ways to apply that which could be interesting... it's a mechanic that would tend towards a balanced mean but also show the impact of wild imbalance.

Edited by Demas, 09 April 2014 - 01:25 PM.

#142 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:38 PM

The Black Sails agenda from AGoT works like that: you cut your deck, and sn opponent chooses one portion to be your draw deck, and the other to be your Hold, which you can pull cards from during the game as per the agenda's text.
"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable."
– Beethoven

#143 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:30 PM

Hm, that's interesting.  The dagger or the poison, as Eleanor of Aquitaine would have asked.

#144 CooMasterCoo

CooMasterCoo

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:54 PM

We actually discuss this very topic on Star Wars TCG podcast! www.starwarstcg.com Love the Darth Maul. 

#145 Marshal Lambert

Marshal Lambert

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:49 AM

Okay - so I worked out how to upload photos finally..

Thought I would share some cards to see what you guys think. Particularly any thoughts on balance etc, or ways to improve design (I don't know font for card titles for example) woulb be welcomed

This objective set is based on Darth Talon's exploits. I know it's set a few years later in the SWEU, but this is fan stuff so, what they hell...

D01-1of6-mission-to-vendaxa_zps43c933a3.

IIRC Darth Talon uses the force to get creatures to attack Skywalker Jnr and Co. Thought it would be good to get some synergy with creatures as the sith have a few, but mechanically this card does not truly represent the story point as the ability should be in offence, not defence

D01-2of6-darthtalon_zps3d6f7b30.png

Art is a little cartoony, but its still a cool picture.Stats reflect her decent combat ability (are there any sith/jedi who are not good in combat?) and her effects reflect her ability to heal using the force and again her control of creatures - this time in offence. Whilst she has not got objective damage this is more than compensated for with her ability, which she can activate whilst out of the combat - perhaps it is too powerful once a few creatures are dropped on the boards? Instant kill for objectives if there are enough - though this is no more powerful than a tooled up Yoda, and 5+ creatures would stand a chance of destroying an objective in combat anyway

D01-3of6-acklay_zpse779e8a7.png

One of the better creature designs from the prequels. This art is a direct lift from the story the objective set tells. Decent in combat, but a slow creature so icons are edge enabled

D01-4of6-talonsabre_zpse008344f.png

This card was made using a lower quality scan (anyone know where to get better quality ones?). Also, not sure where to get icons from for the text box - though I actually prefer the graphic based icons as it is more immediately obvious whether they are edge enabled etc. Ability for Talon reflects her loyalty to her master and combos nicely with her regen ability, Also at potentially 4 unit damage icons she can take down most units in the game

D01-5of6-beastmastery_zpsc2867f7c.png

Another card for the creature synergy. I wanted a 0 cost card. Not sure if the other cost is too high as a result. I forget the name of the alien in the art but I think she is a nightsister who controls a group of Wampas using the force.

D01-6of6-Succumb_zpsed60bc0d.png

Whilst the effect is limited I think placing focus tokens outright would be too unbalanced, plus I liked the idea of wounded units actually suffering due to their injuries/damage. A very Sith concept I think....

Edited by Marshal Lambert, 10 April 2014 - 01:53 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS