29 replies to this topic

#21 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:39 AM

Surtur said:

Vonpenguin said:

I thing that's because the cockpit is meant to remain on the same orientation, allowing the ship to manuver without putting extra gs on the pilot.

How does that make sense in 0 gravity where you have no orientation and your guns are drastically changing firing angles while your ship is constantly moving about you? Damn it b wings, can you see what you made me do? You made me try to bring logic to Star Wars!

How do TIEs make that horrifying scream in space? o_O

#22 Dergidan

Dergidan

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:37 AM

A: There's a speaker in the cockpit with the full collection of Ben Burtt's effects which play on cue as the ship flies by. It's a Pilot Aid.

B: All the rebel pilots use the same ringtone, and when they see a Tie Fighter they All call each other.

Simple Physics.

Dennis

@AzogamesDennis

www.facebook.com/azogames

#23 Surtur

Surtur

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

dbmeboy said:

Some quibbles with your physics there.  First, gravity is a force which is proportional to the masses of the two objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them (given by the equation F = G*M1*M2/r^2).  On the surface of Earth, the distance is close enough to constant and the Earth's mass is constant so that you can consider all but the mass of the other object as constants which gives you the simplification F = mg.  While it is true that the force on an object is (usually) equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration, it is generally more accurate to consider forces as causing acceleration rather than acceleration as causing forces.  Easier to see with the full version of Newton's 2nd law which states that the time rate of change of an objects momentum is equal to the net external force (F = dp/dt), which simplifies in many cases to F = ma.

But your description of "G-forces" and why they would still work as normal in space is right on.  I think somewhere in Star Wars canon ships have a device to cancel out G-forces so that they can do cool maneuvers without having to think about physics.  It seems to me that the B-Wing's only real benefit from the rotating cockpit would be in pilot orientation (it would allow the ship to keep 1 direction as "up" and make recovering from spinning easier and such things).  It also allows the ship to maintain right-left symmetry (like all of the other ships the pilot might be used to flying) and still be able to land (which is what I suspect made them do that in the movie in the first place).

ACCORDING TO STRING THEORY!… I got nothin. You win the science off.

#24 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

Yeah, sorry… that was probably too minor of a quibble to be worth posting…

Personally, I hope they find a way to make the B-Wings "vertical" because that's how they flew in RotJ.

#25 Dergidan

Dergidan

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

Heck no, there was no sarcasm in my comment at least - Your comments are correct. I figured someone on here would 1-up my physics.

Dennis

@AzogamesDennis

www.facebook.com/azogames

#26 Surtur

Surtur

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

dbmeboy said:

Yeah, sorry… that was probably too minor of a quibble to be worth posting…

Personally, I hope they find a way to make the B-Wings "vertical" because that's how they flew in RotJ.

No need, I was just trying to be silly. :)

#27 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

Laser Brain

• Members
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

In Star Wars space battles, the G forces come from the same place as the engine and laser sounds.

Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

#28 cert13

cert13

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

If I recall correctly the cockpit spinning was Kenner"s idea reusing mechanics from a former toyline that seems to have been absorded as cannon…

Wedge Antilles: The only character from the original series that appears in all three movies, has only one costume, and still manages to help destroy TWO Death Stars.

#29 Grape Starburst

Grape Starburst

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:27 AM

Surtur said:

Well objects in space are subject to momentum still, it's just hard to tell you're actually moving as there is no other force such as gravity or friction to give you a relative point. Acceleration is from a force just as gravity causes force to be applied to an object. So when you turn or change speeds you would feel some G's from that, but going in a straight line at constant speed would feel like nothing.

True, momentum would hardly matter going in a straight line at a constant speed, but they're rarely going to be doing that in a battle if they want to stay alive. In a fight they're going to be changing speed and zig zagging (is there a 3 dimension version of zig zaging?) all over the place while trying to hit TIE's and avoid being hit themselves.

#30 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:28 AM

MarkNorfolk said:

I seem to remember it was B for 'blade' as with it's S-foils open it resembles a dagger.

Acceleration would have an effect on pilots in space. Objects under acceleration behave as if under gravity (as I remember from my Physics of Star Trek).

All the background for the b-wing I've read says it kicks out some top grade firepower so I'm hoping that the rules reflect that being in front of a b-wing is the worst place to be!

Cheers

Mark

Wait Physics may exist is Star Trek, but nothing so limiting exists in Star Wars.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS