• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

radiskull said:

Wait…yes, that's exactly what they would do.  Carry on then.  (But I'm pretty sure that's not what FFG was thinking when they made that choice.  Cf. the ridiculous umlauting in Tannhäuser.)

I don't know if you're refering to any particular elements in the Tannhäuser game, the word "Tannhäuser" itself is however an actual name spelt exactly like that. "Wünderkind" I do chalk up to FFG wanting to invoke a l33t culture flavor, so I'm not too bothered by it -- just a little ;)

#22 Messenger

Messenger

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

I'm happy enough seeing a new Agenda to replace Private Security Force in my Haas-Bioroid deck but with Cyber Exodus giving HB more ways to retrieve Archived cards and with Project Vetruvius likely being one of them, this piece of news just makes my day. 

#23 cyberfunk

cyberfunk

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:49 AM

Toqtamish said:

alpha5099 said:

Man, Sunset is such a tease. I think the only text you can make out is that the flavor text is a quote from Mac.

Anyone have any guesses about what Joshua B. does? "When your turn begins … click. If you do, take … ends."

maybe gain a click and take brain damage at end of turn. 

Hate to break up the umlaut discussion, but, yeah, I'd be surprised if this isn't Preying Mantis. So far we're seeing lots of powerful classics that get smacked with uniqueness to keep them sane. 

#24 Messenger

Messenger

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

If I wasn't a Criminal player, I'd love to give Chaos Theory her shot. I'm a huge believer in slimmed-down, minimalist decks.

Originally, I was thinking a deck using her could just use Diesel to power it. No need for search cards, like Special Order as the article suggests, since the deck's so lean and stacks the odds in your favor anyway. This route is kinda thematic with Chaos Theory's name: smaller deck size means you're likelier to draw the cards you really need, but you're still drawing blindly, randomly.

Then, I realized that there wasn't anything wrong with throwing in Special Order anyway: it would thin the deck down further, especially if Diesel is part of the deck (which is likely anyway, as Theory's a Shaper).

Tempt me to switch Factions, Chaos Theory, tempt me some more. 

#25 ffaristocrat

ffaristocrat

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

cyberfunk said:

Hate to break up the umlaut discussion, but, yeah, I'd be surprised if this isn't Preying Mantis. So far we're seeing lots of powerful classics that get smacked with uniqueness to keep them sane. 

It's not Preying Mantis. It says "If you do, take". Stimhack uses the language that the Runner should "suffer" brain damage, not "take" brain damage. On Account Siphon however, the Runner is instructed to "take" 2 tags.

It's likely the card reads something to the effect of

"When your turn begins, you may gain [click]. If you do, take 1 tag when your turn ends."

Basically allows the Runner to bank a click because the Corp will almost certainly trash it the next turn. Would have great synergy with Account Siphon because you would usually deny the Corp the credits to do anything serious with the tag.

#26 cyberfunk

cyberfunk

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:02 AM

Good point. I guess Preying Mantis would be pretty horrible as a unique. And without bad publicity as a win condition. Seems like there's a lot of support needed to make Johnny B. worthwhile… at least something making a lot of actions on the same turn preferable to actions spread out over several turns. And probably some defense against the nastier tag punishments. Account Siphon is nice, but that'd mean at least one influence for Johnny B.

#27 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:28 AM

Saturnine said:

radiskull said:

Wait…yes, that's exactly what they would do.  Carry on then.  (But I'm pretty sure that's not what FFG was thinking when they made that choice.  Cf. the ridiculous umlauting in Tannhäuser.)

I don't know if you're refering to any particular elements in the Tannhäuser game, the word "Tannhäuser" itself is however an actual name spelt exactly like that. "Wünderkind" I do chalk up to FFG wanting to invoke a l33t culture flavor, so I'm not too bothered by it -- just a little ;)

The title of the game isn't problematic for me, just some character names: "Marquis General Hermann Von Heïzinger", the Korlïtz twins.  Basically anything with an ï that isn't a diaresis is problematic.

#28 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

radiskull said:

The title of the game isn't problematic for me, just some character names: "Marquis General Hermann Von Heïzinger", the Korlïtz twins.  Basically anything with an ï that isn't a diaresis is problematic.

I don't know anything about the game, but I guess it's supposed to have a German flavor to it -- yet obviously there's no ï in the German alphabet, so that's an odd spelling choice indeed.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS