Kenner Blockade Runner - re-paint

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#21 bulldoguk

bulldoguk

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:18 AM

Hi nazull, yes they are. Was lucky enough to pick one up for about 25 quid, seems people may be cottoning on though so you're looking at around 30 to 40, suppose when you compare what you get in relation to an x-wing or the incoming falcon, etc its a fare lump of plastic for the price ;)

regarding the plastic bases there isn't really much to say to be honest, grab yourself a chunk of acrylic (at least a few mm thick) cut it to shape, create some form upright from tubing and jobs a good 'un!

Just finished painting a Kenner star destroyer btw, will post pics tomorrow, looks nice, not to scale of course but we intend on using these larger ships as generic models and objectives. We can always really beef up the stats on the SD to make it a little more imposing. Important thing is they look cool with the smaller fighters whizzing around them. All eye candy to set the scene :)

picked up one of those hallmark shuttles too after a reco on this forum. They are brilliant, light up and play the imperial march too…how cool is that lol

#22 Tellos

Tellos

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

Bulldoguk,please tell me your in the southwest somewhere

#23 HokieStone

HokieStone

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

Very nice work!  Can you give a little detail on how you did the paint job?  Thanks!

#24 jtfoto

jtfoto

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

Excellent repaint. Love the template on the base as well.

#25 bulldoguk

bulldoguk

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

Sorry Tellos, up in deepest darkest Yorkshire!

New printed starfield mat arrived the other day. Brilliant! Also painted up a Kenner Star Destroyer, defo not to scale but good to represent a generic Imperial 'large ship'. Made up some Asteroids from lava rocks, didnt even have to paint these, jobs a good un!

Oh and a hallmark shuttle added, nice scale and it lights up and plays the imperial march!

#26 bulldoguk

bulldoguk

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:17 AM

No particular reason why I decided to build this, I just always loved the look of the Sundered Heart with those big fins on the back!

Built from card and magnetised they can easily detatched depending on what you need for the game in hand

I knew saving all those superglue caps would pay off one day!

#27 ElWray8

ElWray8

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

The asteroids look great. Can you tell us how you did the painting?

#28 EmperorCorwin

EmperorCorwin

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

I love this. Inspired me to go purchase one from ebay. While I'm interested in the paint job as well, I agree that the bases are stellar. How are you lettering them? It's clean, precise, and legible.

#29 Stormtrooper721

Stormtrooper721

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

Love the Star Destroyer! What rules do you have to go with it? I'm now hoping FFG hires you!

The 731st Imperial Flight School - "The Vornskrs" - 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 10 TIE Fighters

23 Victories, 1 Defeat, 0 Draws - 69 kills versus 46 losses

#30 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

Great looking stuff, BullDogUK!  How about a pic of how you mounted the base stem to the Corellian Corvette?  I have one also and bas made from Lexan.  have not decided on material for the stem or how to mount it to the vessel.

Enimo Et Fide

#31 EmperorCorwin

EmperorCorwin

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

I know one of the guys on the AFM boards removed the bottom communications dish and put his dowel straight in there. I've been considering a 80x160mm base in Lexan myself, maybe even adding the movement nubs since I'll be taking the time to hand cut it anyway….

#32 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 969 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

Oh man! The Sundered Heart looks AMAZING! And so cleverly put together, to boot. You are a man of talent.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#33 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:07 AM

your work is amazing

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#34 bulldoguk

bulldoguk

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:40 AM

Appreciate the compliments chaps :)

Right, few questions to answer

Mounting the stand, approached in my usual manner, like a caveman, and simply drilled a big hole where the lower radar array is, I figures ironically by giving it a much better paint job I had reduced it's collectable value to zero so a big hole in the bottom wouldnt make much difference!

The lettering on the base is just printed on paper and secured under the plastic by bluetak, tried it on top at first but tended to curl at the edges and looks nice n shiny underneath, just use your favourite DTP program (I have coreldraw) and have a play! This is a good approach I think as it allows me to play around with the base design for different class of ships the actual model might represent, oh the text is called 'impact'

Regarding both ships, typically havent had the time since I did them to play x wing again, hopefully be rectified over x-wing-mas (see what I did there)

But rules can be as simple or as complicated as you like really, ships this big I think on the 4x3 mat I have will mainly be stationary objectives, maybe both the big guys trading broadsides as the x-wings and ties wizz around in between, or simply get from one side of the board to the other before area 'a' is destroyed on the ship

Even though the destroyer is not to scale I dont see why you cannot beef it up by giving it numerous 'lives' for the turbo lasers representing formidable defenses there are also secondary objectives such as the hangar bay and shield generator etc. I figure keep it simple hence the clear areas of the ships, basically if you can lay your range ruler over the area, you have hit an roll the dice…easy! still means you have to show some skill at piloting especially if the large ships are allows basic turned to screw up your own attempt to line up targets <evil grin> I am not one of these players who insist on realism in most cases so it's more important as far as I am cocerned for a game to be fun and look cool!

When I do FINALLY get some solid games in I will be sure to stick some battle reports on the websites ;)

#35 LarryBrennan

LarryBrennan

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

Terrific paint job and fantastic base!

#36 RedWilde

RedWilde

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

Sweet!  And I really like the scenario idea of the cripple trying to escape, that's very manageable for movement.

#37 bulldoguk

bulldoguk

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:04 PM

Had a little spare time between other stuff so picked up this cheap snap together Republic Star Destroyer. Comes painted but nothing to get excited about so gave it a quick work-over with the old airbrush andit presents a nice little bit of additional eye candy for X-wing. Looks great trading broadsides with the Imp destroyer while all the little fighters are darting around! btw, havent had time to knock up a base for her yet hence the corvette and destroyer bases used (although the base for this will be pretty similar to the Imp Destroyer with maybe a couple of tweaks)

• straetski likes this

#38 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:23 AM

Very nice stuff!

Enimo Et Fide

#39 Kraytslayer

Kraytslayer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:25 AM

Very nice. 

#40 Ken at Sunrise

Ken at Sunrise

• Members
  • 756 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:57 AM

Where is you get the base?

Not terribly handy myself, do you know where I could buy one?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS