Sanguiniary Priest

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cardinal Nicodemus

Cardinal Nicodemus

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

Can this advancement be taken by Blood Angel Successors? The reason for me asking, is that, for example, under Flesh Tearers notable characters in Jericho Reach there is a certain Sanguiniary Priest named Jevael. Is this a typo or maybe a general term how all apothecaries of BA and their successors are named since it is clear from the First Founding that only Blood Angels can be Sanguiniary Priests?

#2 Alekzanter

Alekzanter

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:14 AM

Blood Angels, and all of their Successor Chapters, have Sanguinary Priests within their ranks. Two key factors determine this: the Red Thirst and the Black Rage. Even Blood Angels Successor Chapters that have somehow learned to control these signs of the "flaw", such as the Blood Drinkers (who actually just give in and drink themselves full on the blood of…well, anyone really, friend or foe) and the Lamenters, have Sanguinary Priests to tend to their Battle-Brothers' physical and spiritual needs, though in the case of the Lamenters their Sanguinary Priests are instead referred to as the Calix Priesthood but serve the same function and agenda.

Via table-top, any Blood Angels or Blood Angles Successor army may field Sanguinary Priests.

#3 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 934 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:23 AM

I would easily allow any blood angel successor to take a sanguinary priest.

Except the blood Angel successor from the 'never-heard-of-before-chapter' with the 'special-solo-mode-specially-designed-for-that-chapter' chapter. (In other words… I don't like power-gaming and abusing rules.)

#4 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

We’ve got a Flesh Tearer Sanguinary Priest in the campaign we just started. We don’t have a problem with BA successors getting them, as all BA and BA successor Apothecaries are Sang Priests.

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#5 Zappiel

Zappiel

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

yes, what HB said:  apothecaries in Blood Angel successor chapters are called "Sanguinary Priests".  They have the apothecary's function, plus the added burden of certain ritual duties which are pretty much mandatory for those with Sanguinius' curse…

#6 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 934 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

Zappiel said:

yes, what HB said:  apothecaries in Blood Angel successor chapters are called "Sanguinary Priests".  They have the apothecary's function, plus the added burden of certain ritual duties which are pretty much mandatory for those with Sanguinius' curse…

Interestingly too, they take over a lot of the responsibilities for teaching BA initiates the secrets, traditions, and history of the chapter from the chaplains. Since the chaplains are a bit busy seeing to, and being on the look out for, the black rage.

#7 Zappiel

Zappiel

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

indeed!  good additional point to keep in mind; that's something often overlooked…

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS