Jump to content



Photo

Playmat?


  • Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 benhanses

benhanses

    Member

  • Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:22 AM

John85 said:

I don't know (haven't read), the guy (hooded) in the center's on a throne with a wolf, a striking serpent is over his shoulder (in the background), and on the other side is a man with a helmet. I'm trying to figure out who they are; since I haven't read it yet it's difficult. On another forum it was suggested that Morgoth was in the center with Carcharoth. The other guy is Turin maybe? The snake is maybe Sauron?

John85 said:

I don't know (haven't read), the guy (hooded) in the center's on a throne with a wolf, a striking serpent is over his shoulder (in the background), and on the other side is a man with a helmet. I'm trying to figure out who they are; since I haven't read it yet it's difficult. On another forum it was suggested that Morgoth was in the center with Carcharoth. The other guy is Turin maybe? The snake is maybe Sauron?

 

Quite sure that is Morgoth/Melkor and Carcharoth (alhtough not at all how I had them depicted in my mind).  I can't think of any stories overtly that involve snakes as major plot points, but if I assume that the picture is supposed to be around that same theme, it may be representing Sauron.  During his battle with Haun, Sauron shape-shifted into various forms, one of which was a snake, before escaping as a vampiric bat (if memory serves).  I think the most questionable part about the picture is the man/orc in the upper left…  I saw it suggested in another forum (cuz I obviously have no life but to surf for Tolkien-themed forums out there… lol) that it might be Turin after getting burnt by Glaurung?  If so, I think it's horribly out of place in this particular painting, but can't honestly think of who else in the Melkor/Carhcaroth/Sauron/Huan theme would be represented by such an odd looking figure…  Beren doesn't match at all.  I could maybe think it was Hurin possibly?  He was improsined/tortured by Morgoth for 20 years, and his children figure heavily in those stories?  Just an odd, but definitely conversation-provoking, picture.


"... but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend...."       -Faramir, The Lord of the Rings, Book IV, The Window of the West)

 

"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."     - C.S. Lewis


#42 benhanses

benhanses

    Member

  • Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:30 AM

For the record the my favorite cover of Unfinished Tales uses this painting by John Howe:

http://www.john-howe...hp?image_id=963


"... but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend...."       -Faramir, The Lord of the Rings, Book IV, The Window of the West)

 

"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."     - C.S. Lewis


#43 John85

John85

    Member

  • Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:54 AM

benhanses said:

For the record the my favorite cover of Unfinished Tales uses this painting by John Howe:

http://www.john-howe...hp?image_id=963

Oh the one with Posiedon errr I mean Ulmo



#44 richsabre

richsabre

    Tea Drinker of the West

  • Members
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:51 AM

Brownmantle said:

very good!


My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

 


#45 Asterisk

Asterisk

    Member

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

Nobody got playmats from the art suggested here did they ? Surely it would be blocked for copyright.



#46 richsabre

richsabre

    Tea Drinker of the West

  • Members
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

Asterisk said:

Nobody got playmats from the art suggested here did they ? Surely it would be blocked for copyright.

mmm…aparently the forum isnt putting up posts i make now…anyways ill retype…

….no this is just a 'what if' thread….turned into an art appreciation thread.


My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

 


#47 Asterisk

Asterisk

    Member

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:37 AM

richsabre said:

Asterisk said:

 

Nobody got playmats from the art suggested here did they ? Surely it would be blocked for copyright.

 

 

mmm…aparently the forum isnt putting up posts i make now…anyways ill retype…

….no this is just a 'what if' thread….turned into an art appreciation thread.

 

Yea i had that prob lastnight also.

aah k :D thought so, would have to be dam lucky to get some of the art posted as playmats, wish we could though :(



#48 Asterisk

Asterisk

    Member

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

This would be an awesome playmat http://i.imgur.com/sr3n6.jpg



#49 Brownmantle

Brownmantle

    Member

  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

I kinda like this one…kinda artsy. http://www.tolkienli...lf-glaurung.jpg


But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.
 

 


#50 Brownmantle

Brownmantle

    Member

  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:01 AM

These two ideas are really sharp.

I'm hoping to have this done by the time I have another game night,

http://boardgamegeek...game?size=large

I also really think this one is perfect for a one to two player game…

http://boardgamegeek...game?size=large

Thoughts?

 


But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.
 

 


#51 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

    Member

  • Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:23 AM

Brownmantle said:

These two ideas are really sharp.

I'm hoping to have this done by the time I have another game night,

http://boardgamegeek...game?size=large

I also really think this one is perfect for a one to two player game…

http://boardgamegeek...game?size=large

Thoughts?

 

 

Wow, I'm not really that big of a fan of Magali Villeneuve but that second playmat is amazing! I think it captures the look of this game perfectly.


"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."


#52 GeckoTH

GeckoTH

    Member

  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

Gizlivadi said:

Brownmantle said:

 

These two ideas are really sharp.

I'm hoping to have this done by the time I have another game night,

http://boardgamegeek...game?size=large

I also really think this one is perfect for a one to two player game…

http://boardgamegeek...game?size=large

Thoughts?

 

 

 

 

Wow, I'm not really that big of a fan of Magali Villeneuve but that second playmat is amazing! I think it captures the look of this game perfectly.

Thanks! It's still a work in progress for me… Trying to figure out the best placement of things, etc. (as you can tell, I'm defintely a fan of Magali, lol).



#53 Brownmantle

Brownmantle

    Member

  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:01 AM

GeckoTH said:

Gizlivadi said:

 

Brownmantle said:

 

These two ideas are really sharp.

I'm hoping to have this done by the time I have another game night,

http://boardgamegeek...game?size=large

I also really think this one is perfect for a one to two player game…

http://boardgamegeek...game?size=large

Thoughts?

 

 

 

 

Wow, I'm not really that big of a fan of Magali Villeneuve but that second playmat is amazing! I think it captures the look of this game perfectly.

 

 

Thanks! It's still a work in progress for me… Trying to figure out the best placement of things, etc. (as you can tell, I'm defintely a fan of Magali, lol).

It really is great. Very, VERY thematic. It would make a lovely birthday presssent.


But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.
 

 


#54 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

    Member

  • Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

I really like "The North Stair" From THoEM.  That would make a great playmat.

here it is    http://www.cardgamed...rth-stair-thoem

 

 

 

 

 


Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales


#55 gatharion

gatharion

    Member

  • Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

That one BGG with the Magali art is incredible. I need to find away to have that.



#56 Brownmantle

Brownmantle

    Member

  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

http://2.bp.blogspot..._sketch-063.jpg

wish it were bigger, but I do like this one:

http://4.bp.blogspot...it-mythical.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot..._sketch-050.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot..._sketch-070.JPG

for my Dwarven deck:

http://2.bp.blogspot..._sketch-076.JPG

 


But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.
 

 


#57 Brownmantle

Brownmantle

    Member

  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

This Guy has some amazing stuff, his name is Donato Giancola & he has my favorite Rohan hero in all her honorable glory…

http://img-fotki.yan...b6b4021_XXL.jpg

Same artist, different setting…

http://3.bp.blogspot...nderofRohan.jpg

Here are some more of the same subject but different artists…

http://2.bp.blogspot...l-final-cjs.jpg

http://25.media.tumb...ricoo1_1280.jpg

This would be funny…again Donato Giancola:

http://muddycolors.b...rr-tolkien.html

This one gives me shivers…

http://media.imagine...hobbit_epic.jpg

& a little something for custom sleeves…

http://www.spectrumf.../1285197057.jpg

http://25.media.tumb...d79ozo1_500.jpg

http://bluefooted.de...azgul-258220725

http://tolkien.devia.../11067893&qo=13

http://tolkien.devia.../11067893&qo=27

for Benhanses

http://imgfave.com/view/2081876


But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.
 

 


#58 richsabre

richsabre

    Tea Drinker of the West

  • Members
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:09 PM

the execution is great, however the layout does not suit my way of playing, especially with two hands (afterall i have to have both beside me)

rich


My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

 


#59 benhanses

benhanses

    Member

  • Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

Brownmantle said:

This Guy has some amazing stuff, his name is Donato Giancola & he has my favorite Rohan hero in all her honorable glory…

http://img-fotki.yan...b6b4021_XXL.jpg

Loved this one…  Very dark feel to it…

 

Brownmantle said:

Here are some more of the same subject but different artists…

http://2.bp.blogspot...l-final-cjs.jpg

This may honestly be my favorite one of this fight EVER.  Just has an epic feel to it (I know, that word gets way overused)… but I LOVE the perspective and depth this one has!  It almost feel 3D without being so… just amazing!

Brownmantle said:

This one gives me shivers…

http://media.imagine...hobbit_epic.jpg

THIS on may be one of the better ones for playmats yet… very simple.  Not overly busy and cluttered…

 

Brownmantle said:

& a little something for custom sleeves…

Honestly didn't care much for these… the Galadriel ones just didn't really do much for me, but perhaps that is because she is probably one of my least favorite characters in Middle-Earth lore…  The Frodo/Gollum/Sam one was a bit disturbing… honestly thought Frodo was either breaking up a very akward moment between Sam and Gollum… oooooor was about to join in.  Just saying.  Treebeard was okay… just seemed a bit cartoonish, but perhaps fit his personality in the books and the movies.  Looks both naive and wise, all at the same time.

 

But THIS one…

Brownmantle said:

… I LOVE.  Love the theme, (as you are probably aware by now, that's one of my favorite scenes in the entire Ring Cycle… but 'ol Brownmantle here still loves it more, I believe!) 

 

Brownmantle said:

I WANT THIS ON A TSHIRT!


"... but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend...."       -Faramir, The Lord of the Rings, Book IV, The Window of the West)

 

"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."     - C.S. Lewis


#60 Brownmantle

Brownmantle

    Member

  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:43 PM

This is just cool, had to add it to the collection. I love the way it looks like a tapistry. Sorry about the bump...

 

http://intuitionstud...Rider-423130377


But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.
 

 





© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS