Station Eismette/Deranged Diva

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 HilariousPete

HilariousPete

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

Yes, that's right, according to the FAQ and also to Damon. "Immunity prevents targeting, in any way, due to that kind of effect.". Like you said/ruled, Paul LeMond has a triggered ability, and the Explorer/Scientist would have to be targeted by it, but this is impossible because of the granted immunity. Even with Paul's ability only "reading from" and not "doing" anything to the target character.

#22 .Zephyr.

.Zephyr.

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

This kind of choose doesn't feel like targetting the effect for me.

FAQ on targetting:
The word target is used to indicate that an effect is directing a player to choose 1 or more cards for an effect to resolve on.

But other part of this paragraph doesn't focus on this "to resolve on" part and focuses on choose word. idk

And with effects like Apeirophobia:
Action: Choose a non-Ancient One character. That character's controller chooses to either have that character to go insane or discards X cards from his hand. X is the skill of the chosen character.

My interpretation would make Discarding cards still possible (and the only legal option) when targetting Immune character, so maybe with effects like lemond other choices must be made.

Seems like immunity will need more detailed description with new Knight and this MU support, as it looks like a quite powerfull protection type that's not that easy to understand.

#23 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

.Zephyr. said:

This kind of choose doesn't feel like targetting the effect for me.

The rules, however, don't care how you feel about them

'Choose' is a defined term signalling a targting effect, and as was clarified by Damon the immunity extends to both targeting _and_ affecting the character.

#24 .Zephyr.

.Zephyr.

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:33 PM

You're sure he was referring to this case?
I mean to every effect that has any choose character. And explicitly statling that even if effect does not resolve on this character its still targeting this character.

Because it's really easy to use non 100% precise wording whan you didn't think about some interaction.

I guess "immune character cannot be chosen" semantics is simpler so its better, but i would not be 100% sure it's as simple as that.

#25 AUCodeMonkey

AUCodeMonkey

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:58 AM

Paul Lemond's ability can't choose an Explorer or Scientist as a target when Station Eismette is in play. Despite my original objections, it's pretty cut and dry.

#26 HilariousPete

HilariousPete

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

I submitted a rules question and got a really fast answer from Damon Stone:

Q: Station Eismitte + Dr. Carson: Is his Action triggerable because of Eismitte? (Dr. Carson has to be exhausted as a cost, and I'm unsure if costs are prevented through immunity, too.)

A: Correct. Paying a cost is a player action not a card effect.

Q: Is the Claret Knight's Response ever usable? (It's a triggered effect, and he's immune to such effects due to his passive ability. Erratum?)

A: A card can never be immune to its own effect.

Q: Station Eismitte will prevent a Reckless Elder Thing from wounding itself?

A: Reckless Elder thing would be wounded

#27 godnecro

godnecro

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

I have a question. Does Station Eismette protect vs sacrifice effects, like from Cthulhu or Cthyla character?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Cthylla

Secret Spawn of Cthulhu
Type: Character Faction: Cthulhu
Cost: 5 Skill: 5 Icons: (T)©(A)(A)
Game Text:
Ancient One.
Invulnerability. Villainous.
Action: Sacrifice a character to have each opponent sacrifice a character with a printed cost equal to or greater than the character you sacrificed. Limit once per phase.
Flavor Text: Should Cthulhu ever be destroyed, he will be reborn through Cthylla.
Set: SoK
Number: 45
Illustrator: Lin Bo

Cthulhu

Lord of R'lyeh
Type: Character Faction: Cthulhu
Cost: 6 Skill: 8 Icons: (T)(T)©©(A)
Game Text:
Ancient One.
Villainous. Invulnerability.
Action: Pay 3 to force each opponent to choose and sacrifice a character.
Set: TWB
Number: 64
Illustrator: Jeff Himmelman

Edited by godnecro, 17 August 2013 - 09:54 AM.

#28 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:56 AM

I think the key to find the answer is to check if the triggered character ability actually targets one of the characters protected by Station Eismitte.

Based on that, I think they are not protected from Cthylla's ability. Cthulhu's ability, however, requires you to choose a character, so because of Eismitte you cannot choose an Explorer or Scientist. Of course, if you have any character that is neither an Explorer or a Scientist, you'd have to choose that character.

#29 godnecro

godnecro

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

Question:

I have the card Station Eismitte in play. My opponent has the card Cthulhu and all my characters are Explorer and Scientist. If my opponent uses his Cthulhu's action, should I sacrifice a character?
And if instead of Cthulhu has Cthylla, what would happen?

Answer from Damon Stone:

Nothing happens. The owner is not able to choose/target them. If there are no legal targets to be chosen the effect cannot be triggered at all. Also those effects cannot resolve on a character who is immune to character abilities so even if targeting  was allowed they still could not be resolved on.

#30 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:50 AM

Hmm, I had forgotten that Damon had already provided an answer to bsaically the same question in post #18.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS