• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:25 AM

I didn't even know those were in the book. I certainly don't remember them being in the version I read (though we did test that book a long time ago).

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#42 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

I hope we get to see the Umbra in a book sometime soon.

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#43 Captain Ventris

Captain Ventris

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

Sorry, I said 'Harlequin', but failed to specify that the character is a Shadowseer in particular.

#44 Polaria

Polaria

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:30 AM

About a year ago I finished a long-time Dark Heresy campaign of mine where the plot was basically that the Acolytes would find out about the existence of Necrons and the threat they pose to the Imperium. In the end they had to pick a side on whether to try to go public with the information (and risk being killed by other Inquisitors because of it) or to stay silent and try to fight it from shadows… They decided to stay in shadows, trying to find more information while not provoking the Necrons into waking up.

You can imagine my surprise when I picked up a copy of The Outer Reach last night and, reading through it, realized that this is EXACTLY what the Dead Cabal is doing in it… They have decided to keep their mouths shut about Necrons, not wake up the slumbering giant and trying to fight it from the shadows with research and exploration. Now the really brilliant thing is that this ties nicely up with all the earlier fluff from codices, Black Library and such… Even in the very first Necron Codex the first encounters with necrons were long, long time ago somewhere around M36, in Black Library books Inquisition and Adeptus Mechanicus knew things long before Necrons attacked openly but Imperium never made their existence public until they had to.

Brilliant book, all in all.

#45 exseraph

exseraph

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:19 AM

bogi_khaosa said:

Well what has also changed is the targets that a bolter can actually damage. 1d10+9 and 2d10+5 are about the same average damage, but the latter can damage targets with much higher damage soak that the former can.

The average is close, but not as close as it seems at first. Since boltguns are tearing, the average value of their d10s is about 7.2. So, unless I'm misunderstanding the rules, an original boltgun does 19.4 damage on average, while an Errata-pattern boltgun does 16.2 and has half the chance of righteous fury. I think most errata weapons also have lower rates of fire.

I haven't played enough to say how much of a difference this makes, but I'd be curious to know if both versions were used in playtesting for supplements like The Outer Reach.

#46 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:07 AM

The "errata" (or more correctly, "optional") weapon rules are the one big issue with Deathwatch in my mind. The change in stats were perfect for balance, that certainly isn't a problem. However, FFG has been a little… inconcistent, in their approach since they released the errata (or at least slightly unclear). While most new weapons based on existing Space Marine weapons have been clearly based on the errata, it is less clear which was used as a basis for non-Space Marine weapons, and in some of the supplements the original "official" stats are used. Combined with this is the fact that many enemies published since the errata seem to be built with surviving the original stats in mind (massive wound totals in order to try and stave off "instant death by RF-tastic Heavy Bolter).

Oh, and as far as the thread title: No it's not. Not here at least.

I really wish FFG wouldn't release their products at such wildly varying times in different markets. Britain got the Primaris Primer about 6 weeks before the US did (the point at which FFG announced it as "released"), but then some of the other books have taken several weeks to get here after "release", and some of the LCG card packs seem to have taken about 3 months to get here.

#47 Dok Martin

Dok Martin

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

Just read through half of it. My impression: This is FFG's best 40K supplement since they took over from BI. Whoever was in charge of this: thanks!

#48 Zappiel

Zappiel

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

oooh, that's a bold statement :) ….I'm willing to be convinced:  what stood out, for you?  Why is this one better than, say, Rites of Battle or First Founding (which are probly my favourites)?  Is it the writing?  Background?  Rules?  Equipment?  Goodies?  Bad guys - are you a big necron fan?  I've sworn off buying ffg products as the mistakes and inconsistencies make me cry; but if this one is exceptional…..

#49 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

Swore off buying FFG products? Bit melodramatic, no?

Anyway, this is probably my fav book since The Jericho Reach because it achieves the same sort of thing as Jericho reach - giving new stuff for the players whilst simultaneously broadening the scope of the Jericho Reach setting in a way that immediately gets your mind whirring with new campaign ideas. Even just skimming it for the first time had me filled with new ideas for different scenarios, and it also goes over one of the things I like the most in 40K - the mysteries in the 40K universe, especially the ones where we sorta know what the answer is (Dark Pattern = The Necrons), but we're only 99% certain, meaning there's always a level or doubt and a fear that maybe something worse is out there. Sure, some of the Necron stats leave a bit to be desired (not because they're badly written, but because DW Marines will simply walk over them) and there's no Monolith (avergonzado_triste), but as a 'racial expansion book' that adds a new faction of enemies to the three we already have, it's a winner.

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#50 signoftheserpent

signoftheserpent

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

Is this coming out in the UK?

#51 TorogTarkdacil812

TorogTarkdacil812

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:52 AM

It available through bookdepository for some time until it got temporaly out of stock, so I guess yes (missed it :( at least my Navis Primer is on the way)

There is nothing as good as seeing rebel scum running out of a cave full of gas, right into the blasters of your battalion-–well, except sunrises, but for those you have to get up early.

#52 Dok Martin

Dok Martin

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

What HBMC said. Also I get the feeling that this book is not just scraps and pieces but actually gives you an in-depth view of the matter. Reminded me of the Radical's Handbook a bit. The description of the Dead Cabal and the Dark Pattern is thorough, detailed and well written. I love the NPCs, they're just on the right side of weird. There is a common theme to the whole book, it feels so complete. Good work indeed!

#53 Ophariel

Ophariel

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:10 AM

In Germany is it the same thing - I've orderd since you can reserve by Amazon… today I get a mail: Delivery not before Feb 2013 -.-

Mails to FFG stay unanswered about this… I'm tired about this, because the book is a Christmas present. I've got sympathy about technical problems or something else… but no answer leaves a bad feeling behind.

#54 Dok Martin

Dok Martin

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:54 AM

Well honestly: if you order from Amazon, you should complain to them. There's really not a lot FFG can do about it.

#55 Ophariel

Ophariel

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

Amazon can't get it from FFG - thats the problem. And so its a problem by FFG. If  FFG would say: Hey Guys, we got a problem - everything was alright. But nothing as silence… isn't nice -.-

#56 Dok Martin

Dok Martin

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

As far as I know FFG does not provide to Amazon directly. Amazon got their own distributors. And these guys are slow.

#57 Ophariel

Ophariel

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

I've tried to get one by a GW Distributor… and so far I know, thy order via FFG oder via GW and GW via FFG… and there is nothing too.

If I can get WHERE the problem is, I will be a big step further…

If I could buy by FFG directly - yeah, this would great. But only with paypal, without a Creditcard it seems impossible -.-

#58 Zappiel

Zappiel

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

Thank you HBMC!!  And, no, not melodramatic:  true.  My veneration of achilles assault and jericho reach does not match yours…..but thank you for the insight into outer reach!  So, this is the necron sourcebook (minus the ubiquitous Monolith, y'say??!!  Egad!!  That's a bit of an oversight…..)….intriguing….but i've already statted them…..however, the 'feel' of the book sounds nice…

#59 Caliban77

Caliban77

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

Any word on when this book might hit the shelves in the UK? Doesn't seem to have made it over here. Which is odd considering I have copies of Novis Primer and Only War on my bookshelf, not to mention Tome of Blood is in stores next week here.

Regards

Cali

#60 Dok Martin

Dok Martin

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

Caliban77 said:

Any word on when this book might hit the shelves in the UK? Doesn't seem to have made it over here. Which is odd considering I have copies of Novis Primer and Only War on my bookshelf, not to mention Tome of Blood is in stores next week here.

Regards

Cali

I got mine from the UK several weeks ago. Odd indeed.

Try Celestial Games and Books.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS