• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,918 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

Zappiel said:

are you sure about that?  because the errata weapon rules are a significant change from Rules As Written….heavy bolter RAW is most definitely NOT heavy bolter errata….

And Gauss Flayer only has one set of stats so it doesn't matter which heavy bolter you use since it will be the same either way. Appendix I was primarily intended to rebalance the weapons used by the Astartes.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#22 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:34 AM

HappyDaze said:

And Gauss Flayer only has one set of stats so it doesn't matter which heavy bolter you use since it will be the same either way. Appendix I was primarily intended to rebalance the weapons used by the Astartes.

The Astartes ones are the baseline against which the others are set, using the tabletop stats to determine where one weapon compares to another,. A gauss flayer should do about the same as a bolter, for instance.

#23 Zappiel

Zappiel

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

Indeed, bogi, which is why this issue is an…issue…is the 'official' ffg 'baseline' based on a RAW bolter, or a 'nerfed' errata bolter?  Cause i love canon; i love to know what the parameters are….but just what are the parameters of dw?  RAW or errata?  And are the newcrons in 'outer reach' supposed to go toe-to-toe with RAW marines or errata marines?  These are important questions, cause a RAW newcron can be expected to be a lot different from an errata newcron, based strictly on considerations of the bolter as a baseline for damage output.

#24 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

Given that the biggest result of the changes to bolt weapons was the reduction in frequency of RF, I'd say that this is a much of a muchness. We're talking about a difference of 5-6 damage per hit, and some differing Rates of Fire. Neither of those things have as big an effect as extra RF rolls would.

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#25 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:42 AM

Well what has also changed is the targets that a bolter can actually damage. 1d10+9 and 2d10+5 are about the same average damage, but the latter can damage targets with much higher damage soak that the former can.

#26 crisaron

crisaron

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:59 AM

The real difference is the Rightious Fury.

2 Dices per shot means you can roll an additional 10 each time…

If the stats of a creatures uses 2dices then RAW else then use a 4-6 dmg mod and one dice.

#27 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

Is there just the one Specialty or are there others?

Player options are my favorite part of Deathwatch books. New gear, too.

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#28 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,918 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

Just one specialty. It's mostly a GM-aimed book.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#29 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

Yeah, it's very much a 'fodder for missions' book. Other than the Dead Station Vigilant and a few new pieces of equipment it really is a GM's book.

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#30 Captain Ventris

Captain Ventris

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:44 AM

Though the Singularity Rounds that let you shoot around corners are hilarious and high-five worthy.

Also, freaking C'Tan Shards. Has no one mentioned that yet? You roll for their stats and abilities, and they are pretty serious fellas.

#31 Ferau

Ferau

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

C'Tan shards?!? Tell us more!

#32 Captain Ventris

Captain Ventris

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

I know, right?

So, each stat has a minimum, usually 35 or above, and then several D10s, the exact amount depending on the stat, are rolled. For reference, the minimum strength and toughness are 49, and the max is 85, as they start at 45 and you roll 4D10 to add to it. From there, they have all manner of terrible traits and talents, a couple being a This or This, Rogue Trader style selection (Assassin Strike or Hatred (All) is one instance).

C'Tan Shards ignore cover when attacking - period, their natural attack has 10 pen and raises the overload on a field they hit by 10, they have a natural forcefield (45 with no overload), are immune to any and all environmental effects (Black holes and super novas are among the examples) and get 2 or 3 abilities off of a table you roll on. The abilities are crazy things like causing an extra mission complication and forcing characters to make Perception tests or count as blind and deafened, or things like the area around them counting as a high gravity environment, or darkness that no tool can see through.

High-rolled C'Tan Shards could definitely stand their ground against Greater Demons. They're pretty cool. There is a lot to them, and you can make one Shard a COMPLETELY different combat experience from another. FFG did a great job with them.

#33 ddunkelmeister

ddunkelmeister

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

For anyone still wondering, the Necron weapons are roughly the same as those presented in BC's Tome of Fate. If anything, the DW versions are weaker. The warscythe, for example, deals 11 points fewer damage in DW and is unwieldy, while BC's version is merely unbalanced. The Necrons themselves, however, are by-and-large a tad beefier in DW.

On a related note, FFG seems to have adopted the optional errata'ed weapon rules for their newer works. From what I remember, the relics in both First Founding and Honour the Chapter seem to work from the errata's baseline. NPC stat lines, interestingly, do not seem to follow this trend.

#34 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:40 AM

How is the fluff for the Necrons writen? Are they easy to get into the setting or does it feel like a side-thing to the Crusade's main business with Chaos, the Tyranids and the Tau?

#35 Captain Ventris

Captain Ventris

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:27 AM

Basically, they have a good reason lined up for why the Necron haven't just popped up and started wrecking things wholesale. They are restricting their operations for hardship-related reasons well explained in the book, but the Deathwatch has encountered them previous to 817.m41. The encounters are still highly mysterious and limited, and the Imperium has no idea just how big the threat is (i.e. Galaxy-wide). They leave plenty of room for creativity on the part of a GM.

In short, it allows the previous timeline to remain intact while allowing you to bring in some crazy Necron stuff. I like it.

#36 Zappiel

Zappiel

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

thank you for that, ddunklemeister!!    You are one of the good ones, sir!  that certainly helps.

#37 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

I'm too lazy to try to track it down, but I seem to recall seeing a picture of some Astartes fighting a big Lovecraftian monter in an illustration on one of the previews for EotA. Is that an actual thing in the book, or just a funky illo?

#38 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:52 AM

D'oh! I meant Outer Reach, not EotA… Basically, are there stats for weird Adversaries other than Necrons?

#39 Captain Ventris

Captain Ventris

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

There stats for a Farseer, a Corsair King (and his crazy space-gator pet), a Haemonculus, and a Harlequin, but they are special characters. Other than that, it's all Necron.

#40 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:06 AM

Captain Ventris said:

There stats for a Farseer, a Corsair King (and his crazy space-gator pet), a Haemonculus, and a Harlequin, but they are special characters. Other than that, it's all Necron.

That's a bit disappoining to hear actually. I was hoping that there would be some non-Necron weird Xenos and stuff in there but I guess I was wrong.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS