• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 karagh

karagh

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

mr.thomasschmidt said:

Ah okay. My bad. I'm still playing through the first cycle so didn't know of any rules about only using 2 heroes. How does that work? And from what expansion did we get that option?

You have that option from the Core Set rules. You are limited to a maximum of 3 heroes, but not to a minimum. Some cards appeared in Dwarrodelf cycle that cost less resources if player has a Threat Level less than 20. These cards have the Secrecy keyword printed.

#22 mr.thomasschmidt

mr.thomasschmidt

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:29 PM

I see. But there has been other rules that has been interpreted in one way and then Nate has clearifyed against it. Do you know if this has been cleared with Nate? If it has it's a nice flavour to the game. Don't know if I'd sacrifice a hero just to get below 20 from the beginning. There's plenty of other ways to drop in threat than leave out a hero. I'd be interested to know if anyone plays with less than 3 heroes but I think I'll make a new thread about that. Don't wanna hijack this one ;)

#23 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

mr.thomasschmidt said:

I see. But there has been other rules that has been interpreted in one way and then Nate has clearifyed against it. Do you know if this has been cleared with Nate? If it has it's a nice flavour to the game. Don't know if I'd sacrifice a hero just to get below 20 from the beginning. There's plenty of other ways to drop in threat than leave out a hero. I'd be interested to know if anyone plays with less than 3 heroes but I think I'll make a new thread about that. Don't wanna hijack this one ;)

this is pretty much the design of secrecy yes…glorfindel was just about made for this. overall secrecy is a poorly developed part of this game though i expect it shall get expanded as we go into this cycle

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#24 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:01 AM

richsabre said:

mr.thomasschmidt said:

this is pretty much the design of secrecy yes…glorfindel was just about made for this. overall secrecy is a poorly developed part of this game though i expect it shall get expanded as we go into this cycle

rich

I hope we will see Secrecy get expanded with this cycle. However it may be that the "battlefield" type theme will take up all the card slots - meaning that secrecy might have to wait for an entire cycle to go past before being revisited.

It might fit the political intrigue angle of this cycle's story though so we may get some packs with secrecy and some without?

If we don't get any secrecy cards at all it might mean ffg have abandoned the idea (which would make most of the secrecy cards bad - since their biggest problem is lack of choice).

#25 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:03 AM

Also does anyone think that Glade of clensing says 

"Wose enemy in play"

It would be interesting to have the Woses be an enemy that wasn't always hostile I think. (since they're neutral but suspicious of strangers) similar to how the bear was done in the road to Rivendell.

I hope they don't only make the Woses only enemies though, they're friendly to elves for instance.

#26 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:12 AM

Rapier said:

Also does anyone think that Glade of clensing says 

"Wose enemy in play"

It would be interesting to have the Woses be an enemy that wasn't always hostile I think. (since they're neutral but suspicious of strangers) similar to how the bear was done in the road to Rivendell.

I hope they don't only make the Woses only enemies though, they're friendly to elves for instance.

i think is basically says increase archery  for the amount woses in play. i didnt really read the enemy part as there could be 'woses ally' but you make a good point

i also hope they arent all enemies

rich

#27 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:25 AM

I am hoping if Woses are made enemies, it will only be a temporary feature, as I think there is nothing in Tolkien's canon to show they were enemies of either Rohan or Gondor. And the only mention of them in the Lord of the Rings would make one thing quite the opposite.

I too think secrecy will be put on hold in this upcoming cycle, battle and siege mechanice, together with the above mentioned mono-sphere allignement will surely take too much card spot to leave anything for secrecy. But I do hope we come back to it soon enough.

#28 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:48 AM

Traditionally the Woses are enemies of Man (Gondor/Rohan) but only in the loosest sense.

They don't have a real society, and they're enemies because they do things like steal food. Which they mostly do because man is encroaching on their lands.

They don't really have an agenda beyond being left alone, but their is friction between them and humans.

#29 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:42 AM

Rapier said:

Traditionally the Woses are enemies of Man (Gondor/Rohan) but only in the loosest sense.

They don't have a real society, and they're enemies because they do things like steal food. Which they mostly do because man is encroaching on their lands.

They don't really have an agenda beyond being left alone, but their is friction between them and humans.

Source? I don't remember reading this in any of Tolkien's work, or in the likes of Encyclopedia of Arda.

#30 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:54 AM

I also felt weird about the Woses being an enemy. However, perhaps the idea is that the Woses are hostile UNTIL Theoden makes peace with them during their march through the Druadan Forest during the Return of the King. In that way, since our game takes place before ROTK, they could justify the Woses attacking outsiders.

Or maybe we have some way to make "peace" with them during the events of the game and get their help against whoever we're tracking into the forest.

I love the art for the main Wose on the cover though!

#31 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:55 AM

to those interested theres an entire chapter for them in the UT…cant remember the details so im going to have a refresh read

#32 RGun

RGun

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

Anyone know what this new Prowl mechanic mentioned in the News article is all about?

#33 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

i think its the first we've heard of it. the packs seem to be all about traps and archery and so on, so im assuming a mix of the two

rich

#34 benhanses

benhanses

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:26 AM

My concern with all the new mechanics and keywords that are being introduced (siege, battle, archery, prowl?, etc), that some of the old ones that we've been waiting to get more developed (Secrecy, Silvan, etc.) may not see any more traction for a while….  Really hoping FFG proves my doubts unfounded!

"... but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend...."       -Faramir, The Lord of the Rings, Book IV, The Window of the West)

"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."     - C.S. Lewis

#35 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:34 AM

benhanses said:

My concern with all the new mechanics and keywords that are being introduced (siege, battle, archery, prowl?, etc), that some of the old ones that we've been waiting to get more developed (Secrecy, Silvan, etc.) may not see any more traction for a while….  Really hoping FFG proves my doubts unfounded!

Silvan is definitely not getting love this set, you'll be lucky if you get 1 card. (Possibly a hero?)

#36 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:37 AM

Rapier said:

benhanses said:

Silvan is definitely not getting love this set, you'll be lucky if you get 1 card. (Possibly a hero?)

I think the same. As I'd said before, I feel the theme of the player cards is getting more in tune with the theme of the scenarios. Thus I feel this will be mostly Gondor, some Dúnedain or Rohan, and very little of everything else (and hopefully no Dwarves).

If we get a detour, I do hope it is Silvan. Not only that the faction is the least developed (of the big ones) but there is a hint of the Elven blood in Dol Amroth.

#37 ClydeCloggie

ClydeCloggie

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

There was an Elf haven in southern Gondor called Edhellond, although in the Third Age it had been deserted by the Elves.

Nevertheless the king of all games, MECCG, used Edhellond as one of its four Havens where your fellowship would be safe from all hazards and could heal etc. 

So if we're looking for a little Silvan love  in this cycle, it may have to come from Edhellond.

#38 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:06 AM

That could be an adventure detour. Although I think detours are less likely to occur with the new narrative focus.

#39 ClydeCloggie

ClydeCloggie

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:15 AM

Yes, I wouldn't expect a scenario to go there, but it might provide a nice excuse to include a few Silvan or Noldor characters in the packs.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS