This is why we hate Kate Winthrop

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 demozon

demozon

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:12 AM

Well, at first, it is a luck test, so you cannot use a skill token to increase the chance.

"A player may never spend a skill point to add his Luck to his Luck"

... and Kate can only READ the objective, not REVEAL it. This is actually a larger difference than it sounds like. It still feels broken, but not quite as bad as it could be.

#22 willmanx

willmanx

• Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:00 PM

You can't add luck to a luck roll.

#23 broutefoin

broutefoin

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:22 PM

As we were playing scenario 5, there were 6 total clues out of which we'd found 3, although we were only two players. Hence, I get a rating of 8 on the roll. Wanting to make sure, I ask if it's a skill check to which the keeper agrees it is, and so I add my luck onto the check again and then roll... a 9. The keeper then declares that it's game over, since I now know we just need to get out to win and I'm standing right next to the entrance. Hilariously, the other player had the "Loss of Will" card on him and thus killed the witch in his space (that spawned from me) and then happily ran into the freezer... only to realise that he died from doing so, which meant that the keeper won and he still lost, even though I would've won on the very next turn.

Umm,  fun, but that would be been a failure, you can't add luck to itself when testing.

• willmanx likes this

#24 Zakator

Zakator

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:04 AM

You can't add luck to a luck roll.

We realised that after we ended the game, but the point still stands. I get it if only I, as the Kate player, were allowed to read the objective - but in this case, I would simply have camped out in the foyer, clutching my flux stabiliser to my chest to prevent any monsters from appearing in my room, and waited for the objective to reveal itself via time counters and then taken one step outside to win. Of course, it wouldn't have prevented the other player from trying to murder me beforehand, but it still kinda kills the game for me and the others. Or have I done something else to make it work differently to the intentions? 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS