Yet more Ion Cannon questions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Capsaicin

Capsaicin

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:07 AM

I recently played the X-Wing miniatures game and am hooked.  I had the (un)fortunate experience of playing 2 Y-Wings while my partner had 2 X-Wings and our opponents had a total of 6 TIEs and 2 TIE Advanced.  I actually chose the Y's because I love the quirky ship.  Anyway, no to the questions.

1.  How does one resolve two hits from an Ion Cannon on the same turn.  For example, what if my two Y's scored two ion hits on the same target.  Would the target be disabled for two turns (one for each ion token)?  Can a single target have more than one ion token?

2.  Do Ion cannons get the +1 attack die at range one?

3.  How are ion cannons best utilized?  Should the Y's drive straight into the enemy force using their 360 degree arc to disable TIES or should they skirt the edge of the fray annoying the pilots within.

Thanks!

#2 kmanweiss

kmanweiss

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:40 AM

Capsaicin said:

I recently played the X-Wing miniatures game and am hooked.  I had the (un)fortunate experience of playing 2 Y-Wings while my partner had 2 X-Wings and our opponents had a total of 6 TIEs and 2 TIE Advanced.  I actually chose the Y's because I love the quirky ship.  Anyway, no to the questions.

1.  How does one resolve two hits from an Ion Cannon on the same turn.  For example, what if my two Y's scored two ion hits on the same target.  Would the target be disabled for two turns (one for each ion token)?  Can a single target have more than one ion token?

3.  How are ion cannons best utilized?  Should the Y's drive straight into the enemy force using their 360 degree arc to disable TIES or should they skirt the edge of the fray annoying the pilots within.

Thanks!

1. Two Ion hits would behave just like 1 ion hit.  It would only be disabled for 1 turn.  The ship could have more than one ion token, but again, it would be pointless really.

2. Secondary weapons don't receive range bonuses or suffer from range penalties.

#3 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:59 AM

Capsaicin said:

Thanks!

1. The card text instructs you how to handle this.  Do a 1-straight white maneuver, then discard all ion tokens.

3. I'm not 100% sure, but if asteroids aren't a problem, staying at long range might be good.

#4 Warchitect

Warchitect

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

In My Opinion, You want to 180 turn as little as possible with the Ywing. try to pass the TIEs by at a slight angle so you dont just crash into eachother, while Koiorgan turning any xwings you might have as you pass by from another angle. With the Y wing use target lock, and evade tokens to stay alive while spamming Ion control. I realize you didnt have x's on your six, but most of the time one does. ANd because your Y wing is slow, the xwings can 180, do a green move and catch  up with you (again only works with slight angle to eachother at the beginning of the dogfight). if the follow the Ywing and you're targeted, the xwings come from behind to protect you with guns and bombs!. and if the TIEs stay on the x wings they get shot by the x wings turning around, AND the slow Y wing hanging around..spamming the little red Ion Cannon button like crazy in the cockpit yelling "FIRE DAMN YOU PLEASE OF CRAP SHIP! FIRE" lol. 

#5 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 845 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:32 AM

1. As others have said, the Ion effect only lasts one turn, so having numerous Ion tokens on the same ship on the same turn only means that it will move straight 1, and then discard the tokens on its next turn. It does, however suffer 2 damage, which may be important to consider.

#6 halfyank

halfyank

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:29 PM

1. I have a question, from a game tonight.
  2. Slave 1, with Bobba fett (pilot skill 8) and (big, non turret) ion cannon
  4. Situation. Xwing (pilot lvl 4) was ion-cannoned previous round. loses 1 shield, coasts fwd 1 - may now perform actions, and eventually shoot... Well. Bobba re-shot him. x wing is now re-ion'd, before his pilot skill level in the combat phase.
  5. We get to the ion'd x wing pilot. Can he attack at all?
  6. RAW says ion cannon has ZERO effect in attack phase, just shuts your engines down, so to speak.
  7. If the ion cannon disables shooting, is that too OP? It disables engines, but pays for this by only ever doing 1 (non-crit) dmg

We house ruled it that the ion recipient is knocked out until their system resets... directly after they move fwd 1 straight, and the ion token is removed.

Does this smell right?

#7 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:42 PM

The RAW is what you think it is.  The only thing being ionized affects is your ability to select and perform a maneuver.

Lots of people seem dissatisfied with this.  You can probably find a variety of house rules floating around out there that make the ion function more like what people expect.

#8 Drakhan Valane

Drakhan Valane

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:44 PM

Item 6 is correct.
Rebel Alliance: 3 X-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 4 A-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290s, 1 YT-1300
Empire: 2 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Advance, 1 Lambda Shuttle

#9 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:15 PM

Only time hitting someone with 2 ions in one turn would be useful is if it was a large base ship like the Falcon, Firespray, or Lambda, since it takes 2 ion tokens to affect them.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS