• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:06 PM

Just for my understanding since we couldn't find anything in the rules.

Movement - due to the abstractness of range, how does movement work? I couldn't find it mentioned much in the ruleset but I suppose it counts as a maneuver?

All characters can do ONE action and a maneuver on their turn.  One maneuver takes you one space on distance (example from  medium to close).  You can get additional maneuvers for one fatigue each.

Here's the bit on movement:  http://fantasyflight...ws.asp?eidn=799

Shooting into melee. The other systems have a penalty on this, but this situation does not seem to be included in the standard system? Is it meant to be up to the GM to set difficulty ad hoc?

This game is rules light.  There isn't a chart for everything and this is one of the things that they don't get hung up on (that and stuff like flanking).  This is a good example where the GM may wish to start a chart for his game (example, add an additional purple and if a chaos star comes up, he has to roll again against one of his own guys).  Other effects you may wish to add to this chart are:  medium  ranged attack (add 1 purple), long ranged attack (add 2 purples), extreme range (add 3 or 4 purples).

But I'm overall very impressed, and will be spending some money on the other rulesbooks mentioned to get some more advanced careers for people to aspire to.

I would HIGHLY advise that you check out the pregenerated characters (all 44 examples of them) at:  http://www.liberfana...F7download.html

#22 flyndad

flyndad

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:17 PM

Just a FYI :     I happened to come across the "fantasy" coins I had mentioned above: 

Their web link is here:     http://www.campaigncoins.com/

Not cheap but VERY VERY nice!!   

gallery-0.jpg

• JA_42 likes this

#23 TormDK

TormDK

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

#22 Awesome!

Sadly their starter kits are sold out, so I guess it'll be mostly copper and silver coins needed for newly created characters?

#24 Gallows

Gallows

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:43 AM

I'd get the core box. and 2 packs of extra dice for each player as a minimum.

But really, you need heros call and some others before your players get to rank 4, because those new defence cards really help balance combat at that rank.

Some of the adventure products might also be relevant if you don't want to write your own stuff.

#25 TormDK

TormDK

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:00 AM

Two dice bags per player? Does the game ramp up that bad? Our test characters would role with up to five of a dice type, and the base set has six of each.

#26 Gallows

Gallows

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:26 AM

finding dice does take some time.

At rank 3 a dice pool could easily have 20 dice in it.

The issue is that there are too few challenge dice and misfortune dice.

#27 JA_42

JA_42

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

20 dices??? I Forget something or don't understand something?

- regular dice pool, for any non combat check (so 80% of time, minimum)
4-5 blue/red/green from caracteristic
2-3 yellow from expertise
2-3 purple from difficulty
2-4 black/white side effect dices
so 10-15 dices (and it's maximum, big caracteristic value, huge difficulty, amazing expertise, ...)

- combat dice pool, for a boss (1/ session max)
5 b/r/g
2-3 y
2-3 p
5-9 b/w

but it's rare... But 20 dices are possible

we play with dices from
core set + 4 add on
for 1 GM and 4 players
and it's perfect... But we begin only with 1 add-on
we buy other along our campaign

#28 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

There are also plenty of downloads on both rpggeek.com and other online sites to help you out. 

If you don't have  a lot of dice, don't fret.  You can always roll the dice more than once :)

#29 Keeop

Keeop

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

I've got the dice from the Core set and GM vault, and I was just able to snag 2 new sets from my favorite retailer last week. Not sure if they were sitting in a warehouse or what, but an email hit my box the other night and I snatched them up as soon as I read it. Should get the job done. I mostly just enjoy having plenty around so players can start pre-building their pools.

#30 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:44 PM

photos re updated

#31 lordmalachdrim

lordmalachdrim

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

My players are interested in check out 3rd but we still want nothing to do with the cards and all the extra bits that would be floating around the table. Has there been any mention of doing book version of the later release so we can avoid the extra grabage?

#32 Keeop

Keeop

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

* edit.

nvm, not having this conversation again :) :) 

Edited by Keeop, 20 October 2013 - 12:09 PM.

#33 Ralzar

Ralzar

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:21 AM

My players are interested in check out 3rd but we still want nothing to do with the cards and all the extra bits that would be floating around the table. Has there been any mention of doing book version of the later release so we can avoid the extra grabage?

If you are not interested in the cards and bits, there is honestly no reason to play 3rd edition. 2nd edition is way better for a pure PnP experience.

That said, you might be having the wrong idea about the cards. Its actually just a really handy substitute for writing a bunch of rules on your character sheet. In most rpgs I end up with a sheet of paper with small handwriting squeezed into all kind of boxes that I wind up never using because I don't remember everyting at the spur of the moment. The cards just makes this easier by making it easier to organize.

WFRP2 is still a great rpg system with a much richer selection of careers and fluff. WFRP3 is getting there, but still has quite a way to go.

Edited by Ralzar, 21 October 2013 - 12:21 AM.

#34 Gallows

Gallows

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:40 AM

If you are not interested in the cards and bits, there is honestly no reason to play 3rd edition. 2nd edition is way better for a pure PnP experience.

That said, you might be having the wrong idea about the cards. Its actually just a really handy substitute for writing a bunch of rules on your character sheet. In most rpgs I end up with a sheet of paper with small handwriting squeezed into all kind of boxes that I wind up never using because I don't remember everyting at the spur of the moment. The cards just makes this easier by making it easier to organize.

WFRP2 is still a great rpg system with a much richer selection of careers and fluff. WFRP3 is getting there, but still has quite a way to go.

If you don't want the bits I suggest downloading the Savage Worlds Warhammer companion (Savage Warhammer). SW is an amazing system, fun and fast and fitting the WFRP theme and mood very well. It's a quite deadly system though, both in terms of getting killed and going insane. Because of exploding dice a player/NPC can go from full health to instant death in a single attack. It doesn't use hit points, but a great wound system and especially the shaken status adds a lot to the game. You can download free test drive rules if you're curious :-)

Edited by Gallows, 21 October 2013 - 01:42 AM.

#35 lordmalachdrim

lordmalachdrim

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:06 AM

If you are not interested in the cards and bits, there is honestly no reason to play 3rd edition.

So the answer is: No.

I'll keep waiting for 4th Ed and hope it goes back to something more sane.

If you don't want the bits I suggest downloading the Savage Worlds Warhammer companion (Savage Warhammer).

Tried SW and don't like.

#36 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:53 AM

This is called the players guide. This is what the "abilities" pages look like.  No cards/bhits/bits necessary.  

I'd recommend that you take some page markers, just like we did in old-school gaming a wizard IN 2ND EDITION WARHAMMER or D&D and mark them.  Write everything else down on your character sheet..just like old school gaming.  ..in fact, there's an ENTIRE SECTION in this book on how to run WFPR3 with just a sheet of paper (no card, no bits)..just like old school gaming.

:)

PEOPLE, IT'S NOT THAT FRAKKING HARD TO FIGURE OUT      :P 

;)

Enjoy!

book-open.png

Edited by Emirikol, 21 October 2013 - 10:26 AM.

• Keeop likes this

#37 lordmalachdrim

lordmalachdrim

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:17 PM

The questrion was will there be a book version of the LATER items. You know the stuff not in the PLAYER'S GUIDE

#38 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:00 PM

Like a players guide 2?  No.  They're done with this game.  Just POD's and podunk junk from here out. The guides evidently weren't an acceptable replacement, so it seems they've simply abandoned the idea. Best just to print out a copy of your cards and stick them in the back of the players guide.  its what I do.  It's pretty easy to do with all the cards being in album sheets   :)  I'm actually pretty cheap about it. I print them in black and white and then write red or green on the side of the page, as most of the time I'm just trying to quick reference.

Edited by Emirikol, 21 October 2013 - 09:10 PM.

#39 brrak

brrak

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:51 PM

Well, the later info can always be purchased as PDFs if you really don't want the cards and punch outs. They are pretty cheap. Though, some info might only be available on the cards, which is too bad for the lite players. I wish FFG had digitized the cards for the PDFs. I like the box sets though.

Edited by brrak, 24 October 2013 - 09:02 PM.

#40 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:18 PM

The cards do not come with the PDFs.  Its a total scam to buy the PDFs other than the Player's Guide, GMs Guide, and Creature Guide.  Everything else doesn't have any Action/Talent/Monster cards.  It's just the books without the cards.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS