• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#41 Sothis

Sothis

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:24 AM

Very nice feedback, thanks!

I can add "in Arkham" to clarify that the Boomer's ability doesn't matter in OW.  I don't really mind that it will move monsters that normally couldn't.  And every situation in the game where there's a tie, first player decides if everyone can't agree.  That's all over the rules.  The monster surge variation is actually really cool though.  It is certainly in the spirit, although I think I'd rather have both!  The Boomer makes the most sense with the ability the way it is, and I don't think the issues you raised are a big deal.  So I'll use the monster surge ability for a new monster instead!  :D

It's also kind of funny that you mention the Siren not giving you a way to track your maximum Sanity.  Neither does Cthulhu or Mythos Lore, which are probably the two most common ways to have your stats permanently reduced.  How do you track those?  Do it the same way for the Siren.  ;)  (Or just use a doom or yellow sign or whatever, as you said.)  Again your version will be an awesome idea for another monster though.

You better use these ideas first, or I will!  XD

#42 Sothis

Sothis

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:43 AM

Too late!  XD

#43 thecorinthian

thecorinthian

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:05 AM

Here you go! Variations on a theme I guess.

(Re: the point about the token/marker. Cthulhu and Mythos Lore are both cards that 'stay in play', so that if you consult the card, it reminds you that your sanity is lower. If the card is gone, the effect is gone too. There's no marker on individual investigators, true, but it's still a more permanent reminder. In the case of the Siren, if you got your Sanity lowered, and then Siren ended up back in the monster cup, there's no indicator in play that the ability is in effect. Things that work like that in AH are really rare, they obviously tried to make it so that there's a token or card for everything. In theory, if you're using all the cards and counters in AH correctly, you can tell everything that's going on just by looking at the board. The only exceptions are that there's no counter or card that indicates what phase it is, and there's that daft Wizard's Hill encounter which tells you to remember something. I dunno what they were smokin' when they came up with that one. Anyway, isn't not that big a deal really, and it's probably not worth the effort of coming up with a custom card or counter to represent the penalty.)

#44 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:40 AM

I hope you like BGotW as much as I do:

#45 MrsGamura

MrsGamura

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:31 AM

Yes its a cosmic horror from legends.

The Boomer seems cool I would write up to 3 monsters...

Siren hell yea! Plus use Eihort tokens for the reduced max/ min san/ stam!

Whelp a monster you have to spend wuhaha

Harbringer gonna die, monster surge or no, but some AO like MS ><

Yith MS for failed horror check lol why? Interesting though!

#46 thecorinthian

thecorinthian

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:22 PM

Yep, Elder of Yith makes no sense. I just had a cool picture of a Yithian so I thought I'd use that. I guess it's an important Yithian who can tell the other Yithians to use their advanced technology to control the gates or...something.

Good work on the Black Goat things, although I'm still not sure it's enough. Is it just me, or does the 'Cult of One Thousand'/Corruption stuff do almost nothing? I guess the cards that make it happen are too infrequent in my games because I've usually got two or three expansions mixed in.

#47 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:36 PM

Play with the Black Goat herald and I assure you that corruptions will be everywhere. In my last game one of my investigators had 7 coruptions, and 2 out of the 3 investigators had a cult membership. I had 3 cult encounters that game.

#48 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:24 PM

thecorinthian said:

Boomer is great!

...but here's my usual list of nitpicks: in many situations it's ambiguous how you resolve the ability. For example, it doesn't work in Other Worlds, and it's unclear what you do if there are a lot of monsters equally near to you. It also clashes a bit with some special monster movement abilities, and it will move monsters that are ordinarily immobile. So how about this version instead:

"You when fail an Evade or Horror check against Boomer, a monster surge occurs."

That's not quite the same effect but it would be in the same spirit I think. You could make the Evade/Horror checks -2 instead of -1, just to make things interesting.

Siren is fine, except that it doesn't give you any way of remembering that your maximum sanity is one point lower than the number on your card. One of the Golden Rules of AH is that there's always a card or a marker on the table for any on-going effect (except for that stupid Dunwich Black Man encounter thing, for some reason). You could try something like:

"If you fail a Horror check against Siren, your maximum Sanity is reduced by 1. Place a Doom token on your investigator sheet to indicate this."

That's a bit flimsy but at least there's something there. You could use the monster marker itself as the indicator of the reduced sanity, but then it can't be that AND a trophy, and also there's probably not enough space on the marker to explain. That idea does suggest a variation on the ability, though: "While you have this monster marker as a trophy, your maximum sanity is reduced by 1." That's an interesting dilemma.

The way I keep track of max stam/san losses is I keep san/stam on each character's card.  If it's off, it's assumed it's lost.  If it's removed due to lowered max, I return it to the bag where I keep those chips.

P.S. The idea of monsters that do permanent damage is a good one in my opinion.  Adds to the game's mood :')

#49 avec

avec

• Members
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:16 PM

Does anyone have ideas for more Mask monsters?  There were some good ones on the old boards, but I don't know if they still exist.  I think adding Mask monsters is a great, simple way to make Nyarlathotep more interesting.  

#50 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:23 PM

#51 CorruptJeff

CorruptJeff

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:26 PM

Played with her in our ongoing series last night where she's evil. We didn't draw her from the cup, just started her out at Silver Twilight Lodge and let her roam. Proved to be a real pain in the balls.

#52 thecorinthian

thecorinthian

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:42 PM

avec said:

Does anyone have ideas for more Mask monsters?  There were some good ones on the old boards, but I don't know if they still exist.  I think adding Mask monsters is a great, simple way to make Nyarlathotep more interesting.  

I came up with a couple for Cult Of The Golden Scarab. One of them was just a big tough crocodile (not that interesting in retrospect) but I'm quite proud of this one. It's a sort of mini-Nyarlathotep that eats clues.

The evade modifier might be a bit harsh, now that I think of it.

#53 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:27 PM

There's an ally whateley and a monster whateley so why no monster william bain?

Flavor: William Bain drags you to his house.

#54 The Message

The Message

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:45 PM

kroen said:

There's an ally whateley and a monster whateley so why no monster william bain?

Flavor: William Bain drags you to his house.

This seems like it could potentially be a great boon, in regards to the Great Seal.

#55 thecorinthian

thecorinthian

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:02 AM

That's pretty good. If that was wandering around Arkham, obviously what you'd do is wait for someone to be able to afford the Great Seal (is that how that works, I forget) and then run into Bain and deliberately fail the check. He probably only ought to work once for each time he appears - so if you fail the check and get sent to the Strange High House, Bain should go back in the cup at the same time.

On the other hand, this guy is a real pain if you meet him in an OW, since he's got a hard combat check and if you fail it, you're sent back to Arkham with no chance to close the gate you went in through.

#56 avec

avec

• Members
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:13 AM

thecorinthian said:

I came up with a couple for Cult Of The Golden Scarab. One of them was just a big tough crocodile (not that interesting in retrospect) but I'm quite proud of this one. It's a sort of mini-Nyarlathotep that eats clues.

The evade modifier might be a bit harsh, now that I think of it.

Cool. thanks!  It's a little Shadowy Figure-esque, but I like that it approaches clue loss in a different way.  And yeah, the evade modifier is a bit steep.  -3 or -2 might make the Chaos Mask more balanced.

#57 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:43 AM

We have monsters that grant common, unique, spell, money and clues. But what about skill, ally and blessing?

#58 thecorinthian

thecorinthian

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:13 AM

kroen said:

We have monsters that grant common, unique, spell, money and clues. But what about skill, ally and blessing?

I like Kraken and Cursed Cultist, but I think Pirate is too good. Allies are absolutely brilliant - they're worth ten toughness or two gate trophies. The monster you have to kill to get one for free should be extremely difficult. I reckon it should be 'Kidnappers' rather than pirates, and making it like one of those KiY Riot monsters - 4 toughness, Overwhelming 1, and combat -2, so it represents a whole bunch of people. Then obviously the Ally is the hostage that you rescue. And obviously you shouldn't also get the Kidnappers as a trophy - they should go straight back in the cup or perhaps even back in the box.

#59 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:29 AM

Yeah, I guess Pirate is a little too good, but you do know he grants a random ally, right?

#60 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:53 PM

Heh...  I'd rather see Cursed Cultist give you a curse if you defeat him.  Then again, I do prefer brutality ;')  Some are into S&M, some are into A&H.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS