189 replies to this topic

#21 avec

avec

• Members
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:25 AM

Avi_dreader said:

dkw said:

The point is that no one is going to even consider using it.  Beat it or lose the game.  Toss into the "ignore bin."

Wouldn't it make an annoying random encounter though? ;'D

It could be part of an awesome Other World encounter, e.g., "The Abyss: The Bringer of the Apocalypse appears!"

#22 thecorinthian

thecorinthian

• Members
  • 767 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:51 AM

It's a good concept, just needs to be a lot less harsh. The benefit of an ability like that is that it creates a pleasing sense of dread about what will happen if the dice roll fails. "Oh God, oh God, he really needs to pass this combat check..." is suspenseful and fun (I think so anyway).

However you don't need it to be anywhere near as extreme as 'losing the entire game' to create that effect. It could simply add a Doom token when you fail the combat check - which would make sense with the concept of what the monster is meant to be, and still make it one of the more dramatic random monster encounters. You could make it instantly awaken the Ancient One (thus still giving the investigators a slim chance of victory) but it's still a fairly arbitrary and unsatisfying way of cutting the game short.

dkw has a point. Why would anyone use it, in its current form? Maybe if I had a butler who packed and unpacked the game board and cards for me, I wouldn't mind the game being randomly ended on turn two...

#23 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:33 AM

thecorinthian said:

It's a good concept, just needs to be a lot less harsh. The benefit of an ability like that is that it creates a pleasing sense of dread about what will happen if the dice roll fails. "Oh God, oh God, he really needs to pass this combat check..." is suspenseful and fun (I think so anyway).

However you don't need it to be anywhere near as extreme as 'losing the entire game' to create that effect. It could simply add a Doom token when you fail the combat check - which would make sense with the concept of what the monster is meant to be, and still make it one of the more dramatic random monster encounters. You could make it instantly awaken the Ancient One (thus still giving the investigators a slim chance of victory) but it's still a fairly arbitrary and unsatisfying way of cutting the game short.

dkw has a point. Why would anyone use it, in its current form? Maybe if I had a butler who packed and unpacked the game board and cards for me, I wouldn't mind the game being randomly ended on turn two...

Double doom tokens :')

#24 avec

avec

• Members
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:49 PM

thecorinthian said:

Yeah that's true.  I'm just glad to see more custom monsters, which IMO we need a lot more than custom investigators.

#25 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:54 AM

edit: Fthgn deals 1 stamina damage.

#26 thecorinthian

thecorinthian

• Members
  • 767 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:56 AM

That's the stuff! Those all work.

#27 The Message

The Message

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:46 AM

thecorinthian said:

I see your point, but I guess I don't mind it as much. I usually leave AH set up for several days at a time anyways, and if the game really ended on turn two, just start over.

If the awareness was dropped to -1 I'd print and use it, but as is it's far too easy to just avoid so I see no need for it.

#28 MrsGamura

MrsGamura

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:12 AM

Was wanting to make everything Random on this guy but that might have been a little crazy.

I'm not sure I like monsters that Give you injury/ madness it is different though so that good!

#29 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:33 AM

2 difficult monsters:

#30 dkw

dkw

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:08 AM

Technically, your Lurking Terror will never move as Green means Special Move Condition, not special effect from Moving.

#31 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:16 AM

dkw said:

Technically, your Lurking Terror will never move as Green means Special Move Condition, not special effect from Moving.

Drak Druid would beg to differ.

This is exactly my wording, only with different effects.

Unless there's a special movement condition, green monsters move normally.

#32 dkw

dkw

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:24 AM

And the official ruling of the Hound says that if no Investigator is at a Non-Street Location, the Hound does not move.  Same goes for Flying Monsters and no Investigators in Street Areas.

Dark Druid also specificlly says that it is treated like a Cultist.

#33 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:40 AM

But the Hound does have a special movement condition. Mine does not. And the "treated as a cultist" is for the purposes of ancinet ones worshippers ability.

#34 thecorinthian

thecorinthian

• Members
  • 767 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:11 PM

You're both right (well, sort of, anyway). The wording from the v1.1 Rulebook is:

"Unique (Green Border): Monsters with unique movement (such as the Hound of Tindalos) have special movement abilities listed on the combat side of their monster markers. Turn such a monster marker over and follow the instructions there."

Based on that, having a green border does NOT explicitly immobilize the monster - it just doesn't tell you what to do. Dark Druid is probably the only case in which they really drop the ball here. For Cthonians, the Dunwich Horror and Colours Out Of Space, it doesn't matter what form the movement would take because the special ability occurs instead of the entire movement. For the Werewolf and the Hound of Tindalos, the back of the marker tells you exactly what to do.

Black-bordered movement is presumed to be the normal type, and the rulebook is phrased in a way that seems to set this as the 'standard' for all monster movement, then describes the other border colours in terms of them being exceptions. The Dark Druid seems to assume this too, so if you think that's ok, I think it's ok for this new custom monster to make the same assumption.

P.S. The fact that Dark Druid is treated as a Cultist does not make it a black-bordered monster, any more than being a Cultist changes its movement symbol from hex to crescent.

#35 dkw

dkw

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:11 AM

#36 Sothis

Sothis

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

The Chaos Spawn is awesome!  I see you're breaking out the Magic cards a lot lately.  ;)  You'd have to make sure you had a sanity loss preventer in case the roll came up 3 or more...

Even though the Lurking Terror works fine, it would be simpler if it was black bordered.  The text on the back would still apply, just like how you put text on the back of Undead Army.  No real reason for it to be green.

And please please get a different picture for the Mondra! ;)

#37 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:54 PM

MrsGamura said:

Was wanting to make everything Random on this guy but that might have been a little crazy.

I'm not sure I like monsters that Give you injury/ madness it is different though so that good!

What card was that?  Cosmic Horror?

#38 Sothis

Sothis

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 03:27 AM

Yeah, lol I think it was like 7/7 First Strike.  :P

#39 Sothis

Sothis

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 03:59 AM

Couldn't resist this one.  Better be quick enough to stand back when you kill him! ;)

And how can we have aquatic creatures without the Sirens?

#40 thecorinthian

thecorinthian

• Members
  • 767 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:58 AM

Boomer is great!

...but here's my usual list of nitpicks: in many situations it's ambiguous how you resolve the ability. For example, it doesn't work in Other Worlds, and it's unclear what you do if there are a lot of monsters equally near to you. It also clashes a bit with some special monster movement abilities, and it will move monsters that are ordinarily immobile. So how about this version instead:

"You when fail an Evade or Horror check against Boomer, a monster surge occurs."

That's not quite the same effect but it would be in the same spirit I think. You could make the Evade/Horror checks -2 instead of -1, just to make things interesting.

Siren is fine, except that it doesn't give you any way of remembering that your maximum sanity is one point lower than the number on your card. One of the Golden Rules of AH is that there's always a card or a marker on the table for any on-going effect (except for that stupid Dunwich Black Man encounter thing, for some reason). You could try something like:

"If you fail a Horror check against Siren, your maximum Sanity is reduced by 1. Place a Doom token on your investigator sheet to indicate this."

That's a bit flimsy but at least there's something there. You could use the monster marker itself as the indicator of the reduced sanity, but then it can't be that AND a trophy, and also there's probably not enough space on the marker to explain. That idea does suggest a variation on the ability, though: "While you have this monster marker as a trophy, your maximum sanity is reduced by 1." That's an interesting dilemma.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS