Photo

Alternative Campaign: The Silken Threads - PDF READY!

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 Zwergenkrieger

Zwergenkrieger

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

it looks brilliant! thanks for this great job! ;)

#42 any2cards

any2cards

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Morthai said:

that all is actually in the addeddum or the part 3 we talked about - i still have some templates missing to finish that but in the meanwhile you can find it here:
http://boardgamegeek...lieutenants-rel

Sorry … I guess I was jumping the gun.  When I saw that the title had been changed to PDF Ready, and you described it as all inclusive, I thought it meant all of the parts we had discussed, not just ACT I, II, Interludes and Finale.

I have to stop assuming things … lol.

Will

#43 Rico

Rico

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

Looks fantastic! Is it possible to get the left and right page templates you used? I'm working on a campaign as well, although not as deep as this.  Nice work!

#44 Morthai

Morthai

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

Rico said:

Looks fantastic! Is it possible to get the left and right page templates you used? I'm working on a campaign as well, although not as deep as this.  Nice work!

I have multiple backgrounds with some layers as jpeg datas, but the open group traits are in  a file that i cannot give out, so it is a bit pointless to use them without being able to edit the open groups.

btw guys page 31 had an error that i fixed now, I will also edit the first post:

http://www.file-uplo...hreads.pdf.html

#45 Schmiegel

Schmiegel

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

Hi Morthai, thank you so much for creating and sharing "The Silken Threads", and congratulations on this spectacular accomplishment! The quality of your work is completely mind-blowing. So far I have completed the Intro and the Lost in the Woods, Struggle for Sanity and The Shadow Realm quests. I'm just playing it solo, and have been pleased to find that Descent Second Edition plays quite well in that mode. Call me a raving lunatic, but this has been a trememdously fun experience.

As far as specific feedback…I really like your reinforcement rules, for starters. I find them more fair and more finely nuanced than those in the "The Shadow Rune" campaign. I prefer the specificity and tighter control of your rules, in that regard. Also, I like your approach to the initial monster setup. Again, the control seems tighter than in "The Shadow Rune" and I like the way you tailor the available monster groups to the quest environment/theme. (My intent here is not to criticize the design of "The Shadow Rune", I think it's great…only to say that I like the way you have reacted to possible perceived weaknesses in that design.) Very well done!

There is an elegant simplicty in your work, particulary evident in the Intro and Lost in the Woods, which I also applaud. Additionally, I find the storyline of all your quests fascinating and I think some of your quest plot ideas are simply brilliant. I could go on, and I don't mean to be overly dramatic, but this stuff is just genius. All your flavor text is also interestingly crafted. All of the quests so far have been perfectly balanced too. This must have taken extensive playtesting. The encounter with the Shadowdemons ended with two red runelocks destroyed and Shadowdemons likely one turn away from destroying the other two when Jain Fairwood locked the portal with a successful knowledge attribute test. Great drama! (And what a great idea to involve heroes with the story in this manner!) And I like the way the relics that are earned are so cleverly integrated into the story as well. "Fangblade", I caught that..

Where do you get your ideas and inspiration? I see another campaign is in the works….. That's incredible! You have made me want to try my hand at campaign designing, but I don't think I could produce anything as good as you have done. So you used the Vassal module for your maps? That's interesting. Personally, I've never tried the Vassal platform…..didn't even know Descent Second Edition was available there.

One last thing, you really seem totally responsive to people's comments, questions and concerns. That's another terrific attribute that is nice to see. If I could ask one question…I saw your comment in regard to downloading your completed PDF file where you stated that it's necessary to have an ad-blocker installed in order to find the "correct button" to hit, is how I believe you stated it. Actually, I had tried to download off of a link that I believe was on page 4 (November 21 post) of Board Game Geek, where there were two links within the post. I was obviously a bit overly cavalier about it….and the next thing you know I had installed the V-Grabber tool bar, which then proved quite pesky to remove. So now I'm hesitant to go ahead and download your 69mg PDF file, as much as I'd like to have access to it, out of fear of going through that type of hassle again…. I know you have better things to do than hold people's hands while they muddle through mundane issues such as this, but any advice about "safely" downloading your Silken Threads PDF would be very much appreciated!

In the future, I may ask you other design-related questions, if you don't mind, now that I've emerged from lurker status here.. Just mainly wanted to inform you that your work is very much appreciated!!! How in the world you have enough material in your imagination to create another entire campaign, I have no idea..  :)

#46 Morthai

Morthai

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

just a quick fyi, since i am in a rush atm:
Ideas and Inspiration? Hmm,… i guess i am a creative mind who totally digs this awesome game!

Vassal module? Check out BGG in the PBF subforum, there you can find the Vassal module. A friend designing even a The Silken Threads Vassal module atm which is really awesome! If it is ready, I will tell more about it.

Other than this, Wow! Thanks to your awesome feedback!
It is hard to find a good and secure uploader, especially if you work with ad-block and don't know how others see that side I am uploading to, i quickly tried a different upload-page, maybe this works for you:

http://www.filehosti...ken_Threads.pdf

or:

http://rapidshare.co...ken Threads.pdf

If you have more problems I will try to find another alternative hoster.

#47 Schmiegel

Schmiegel

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

Thank you for providing the link(s?). I'm probably overly paranoid, but Morthai, did you add a second link following your original post? When I first viewed your post, there was only one link there. (It shows up in green on my computer and includes the words "filehosting" in the link.) Then when I came back to your latest post again later, there was a second link there. (Shows up in blue and includes the words "rapidshare".) My question is, did you place that second link there? I don't know enough about Internet security and the ways of those who attempt to cause sabotage or whatever they are trying to accompish - data mining I suppose…to know what is possible in this particular realm.

Anyway, I tried the first link I referenced here, and did not have success with downloading the pdf file. Everything appeared to be going well, but somehow I ended up not downloading the file and looped back to a dialog box that asked me to upload a file from my own computer. I don't think I messed anything up as there weren't any options other than the ones I selected as I went through the process..

I'm guessing this isn't supposed to be this difficult. I didn't try the second link within your post as, since it wasn't there the first time you posted, I'm suspicious that a third party interceded and inserted that one for some nefarious purpose. (After my first negative experience at the BGG site, I've become extremely cautious, probably paranoid..)

If I hear back from you that it was indeed you who inserted that second link, I'll try that. For now, I'm going to be cautious about that one. Otherwise, I may just wait for my stepson to come over to my house tomorrow (to play Descent Second Edition, but we have a "Shadow Rune" campaign going..) and maybe between the two of us, we can successfully download your original pdf link off of BGG. 

Thanks for your efforts! I just wanted to say that you have a stunning gift for game design, and I know that I speak for more than just myself in saying that it's very much appreciated! I'm about finished with the Interlude (Follow the Widow). It's brilliant, really a lot of fun. The carriage is a wonderfully innovative concept. You've outdone yourself.

#48 Morthai

Morthai

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

both links are from me - I edited the rapidshare link in, as an additional alternative hoster.

Maybe consider stongly an Ad-Block for your browser if you keep having problems with troyans and false links:
https://www.google.a...lient=firefox-a

edit: okay - i tested the filehosting side with a download and it seems appearently broken - try out the rapidshare upload - that should work 100% sure (now also tested - 100% sure - slow but 100%!).

http://rapidshare.co...ken Threads.pdf

#49 Schmiegel

Schmiegel

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

Yay! Got it, thank you Morthai!! My god! It's absolutely breathtaking. I'm speechless. That's all I can say. This is better than Christmas.

The rapidshare worked beautifully. (And I did install Adblock, thank you.) Are you a big fan of Descent First Edition? I can't say I recall you posting on that forum. Obviously you've played it. Apparently there must be something about Descent Second Edition that resonates with you at a deeper level…

I really appreciate your attentiveness to this "issue"!!! Just awesome! Thanks again!

#50 Schmiegel

Schmiegel

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

A quick question about  "A Test of Faith".. (encounter one). You state that anytime a hero is "moved by a monster on an Edge," he must test Might. When you say "moved", I presume you're referring to being moved by Knockback, correct? In other words, if Knockback would move a hero off an edge into a gap, the hero can test Might to prevent that, right? Thanks!

#51 Morthai

Morthai

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

Schmiegel said:

A quick question about  "A Test of Faith".. (encounter one). You state that anytime a hero is "moved by a monster on an Edge," he must test Might. When you say "moved", I presume you're referring to being moved by Knockback, correct? In other words, if Knockback would move a hero off an edge into a gap, the hero can test Might to prevent that, right? Thanks!

If a hero is moved by a monster by any means(knockback, trow, etc.) on a encounter marker (the edge) he tries to grab something to hold onto to not loose his balance and fall down the gap. If he passes the test he stays on the edge space, if he fails place him at the gap "space" between the tiles. Maybe I will recheck that wording to make it more clear.

#52 Schmiegel

Schmiegel

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

Thank you, ok. As it turned out in this encounter, the last two heroes to fall into the gap (Jain, Ispher) were both knocked out with attacks that included two surges (knockback). I made the interpretation that since they were knocked out, they were not entitled to test their Might attribute. Earlier, the overlord attempted to march Ispher off the edge via Dark Charm, but he passed the Willpower test and it didn't work.. I assume all these options are "legal".

Speaking of Might tests, for Encounter 2 of Test of Faith, what is the Broodmother's Might rating? I couldn't find that anywhere (may have missed it). I'm going to assume "4" until I hear back from you. Maybe "5"?

Encounter One of Test of Faith is awesome! At the same time, it was absolutely brutal on the heroes. They had done well with the Act 1 quests, lost the Interlude (Follow the Widow) and then were completely slaughtered in their first Act II quest. It didn't help that Reynhart fell into the gap on his first attempt when the rope slipped from his grasp. Jain made the other side (Awareness), but Ispher and Lyssa lacked the courage to try it after seeing what happened to Reynhart, so stayed on the original side and fought from there, until Ispher eventually leapt over somewhat later (only to be butchered relentlessy…).

Anyway, if you could let me know the Broodmother's Might rating when you get a moment, I'd very greatly appreciate it. Thanks again!!

#53 Schmiegel

Schmiegel

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

Oops, never mind on that Broodmother question… I just found all her ratings on the On the Run quest posted on BGG. (It wasn't in the pdf file notes about  the Test of Faith encounter 2.) I must have missed an additional post about lieutenant ratings and such. Is there a separate listing of lieutenants somewhere (other than within the body of the encounters that you posted on the BGG pages)? Sorry to be so dense. I see the rating is "4" by the way.

#54 Morthai

Morthai

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

Schmiegel said:

Oops, never mind on that Broodmother question… I just found all her ratings on the On the Run quest posted on BGG. (It wasn't in the pdf file notes about  the Test of Faith encounter 2.) I must have missed an additional post about lieutenant ratings and such. Is there a separate listing of lieutenants somewhere (other than within the body of the encounters that you posted on the BGG pages)? Sorry to be so dense. I see the rating is "4" by the way.

don't forget the supply! - there you can find all components!

http://boardgamegeek...lieutenants-rel

#55 Schmiegel

Schmiegel

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

I had somehow managed to miss that…Wow! It's like stumbling into a gold mine. Thanks! This is quite the Magical Mystery Tour.

#56 Marcel Cwertetschka

Marcel Cwertetschka

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

In the next weeks i can probably finalize a rar data with all the components in pdf format and an updated Questguide - FFG finally brought out its editor and i have to rework all the mapimages :D

#57 Rico

Rico

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

The FFG Editor is here: http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=3871

Custom GOODNESS!

#58 Schmiegel

Schmiegel

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

These are heady times indeed! 

Stupid question department: Is there a quick way to copy, for example, a lieutenant card, from the Silken Threads supply web page (or any card for that matter) and have it print out in the intended size? (My Broodmother card came out too large, although of course it "still works".) Do I need Photoshop? 

#59 Schmiegel

Schmiegel

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

Never mind the stupid question.. I figured out a system that works.

#60 Morthai

Morthai

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

Rico said:

The FFG Editor is here: http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=3871

Custom GOODNESS!

I am no longer special =(

^^ funny joke.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS