• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 LethalDose

LethalDose

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

venkelos said:

Odd place for this, but how may erratas ago did someone way disruptors aren't important to Star Wars, and pull their primary effect? Was it  because nobody likes "save vs death" effects? Because while I agree I don't, either, it seems weird to have disruptors that don't disintegrate people. I think they are still high Vicious, and maybe that does cover it, but I am still sort of surprised that the whole mechanic was pulled.

This was pulled on week 3.  I thought it was actually earlier.

-WJL

"All models are wrong, but some models are useful."  - George E. P. Box

#22 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

LethalDose said:

EldritchFire said:

The "insta-death" thing was never part of disruptor weapons. It was perpetuated when people see the final shot that does in the target, but that was after a few good hits already.

Yes.  

Yes it was.  

pg 111.  Top of the first column.  Any hit can spend 5 adv and reduce the target to dust.  The target is permanently, irrevocably, completely f*cking dead.

-WJL

I think he is referring to other sources - like EU novels, comics and the like - when saying this about disruptors - not the beta book. And I tend to agree with him, can't recollect any sources (except the beta-book) that had this take on the weapon. Although I haven't really checked or looked for it.

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#23 EldritchFire

EldritchFire

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:34 PM

Jegergryte said:

LethalDose said:

EldritchFire said:

The "insta-death" thing was never part of disruptor weapons. It was perpetuated when people see the final shot that does in the target, but that was after a few good hits already.

Yes.  

Yes it was.  

pg 111.  Top of the first column.  Any hit can spend 5 adv and reduce the target to dust.  The target is permanently, irrevocably, completely f*cking dead.

-WJL

I think he is referring to other sources - like EU novels, comics and the like - when saying this about disruptors - not the beta book. And I tend to agree with him, can't recollect any sources (except the beta-book) that had this take on the weapon. Although I haven't really checked or looked for it.

Yeah, sorry. I meant that the insta-death was never part of the EU disruptors. They were nasty, and hurt like a ***** - much worse than a blaster bolt - but we're never actually capable of 1-shot kills.

-EF

#24 GM Chris

GM Chris

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:49 AM

EldritchFire said:

Yeah, sorry. I meant that the insta-death was never part of the EU disruptors. They were nasty, and hurt like a ***** - much worse than a blaster bolt - but we're never actually capable of 1-shot kills.

-EF

This is pretty much correct.  We didn't start to see 1-shot kill disruptors until the "EU" spawning from video games.  The Jedi Knight series comes to mind, with Jedi Knight II and Jedi Knight III: Jedi Academy being the major culprits, here. 

Host of The Order 66 Podcast:  http://www.d20radio.com

Find all the EotE Order 66 Episodes right here:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/Order66

#25 EldritchFire

EldritchFire

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:46 AM

GM Chris said:

EldritchFire said:

-EF

This is pretty much correct.  We didn't start to see 1-shot kill disruptors until the "EU" spawning from video games.  The Jedi Knight series comes to mind, with Jedi Knight II and Jedi Knight III: Jedi Academy being the major culprits, here. 

You mean Dark Forces III and Dark Forces IV? I mean, the Jedi Knight game's full title is Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight. They decided that Kyle Katarn, the main character of Dark Forces, needed to be a Jedi. So they made the second game his "coming of age" story. Then they did two more games with Kyle Katarn in his Jedi role, and just seemed to forget the actual title of the series :P

[/soapbox]

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

-EF

#26 GM Chris

GM Chris

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:26 AM

EldritchFire said:

You mean Dark Forces III and Dark Forces IV? I mean, the Jedi Knight game's full title is Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight. They decided that Kyle Katarn, the main character of Dark Forces, needed to be a Jedi. So they made the second game his "coming of age" story. Then they did two more games with Kyle Katarn in his Jedi role, and just seemed to forget the actual title of the series :P

[/soapbox]

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

-EF

ROFL!  Tru.dat

Kyle was much, MUCH cooler before becoming a Jedi.  But it sure was fun stompin' around with your lightsaber, then spying a rodian on a far-away ledge on Nar Shadaa, switching to first-person with my Disruptor Rifle, then VAPORIZING him!  Muahahahahaaa!

Host of The Order 66 Podcast:  http://www.d20radio.com

Find all the EotE Order 66 Episodes right here:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/Order66

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS