Establishing a strong base and farming

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guards

Guards

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:41 AM

So what are rules for farming and establishing a base of operations? My players are wanting to start and its kind of a part of our ongoing discussion right now. Feedback is appreciated thank  you for your time. We may switch to only war right now we are in Dark Heresy.

#2 Musclewizard

Musclewizard

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:59 AM

Farming?
You mean like planting crops, raising cattle and thelikes?

Only War is about being part of a large organization. You don't built a base of operation, you are assigned to one at best, maybe you construct one as part of an assignment but unless you are a high ranking officer you won't have any say in where to dig the trenches and where to deploy turrets.

#3 DJSunhammer

DJSunhammer

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

Nor would the Guard be caught dead farming on a large scale. That is reserved for, well, farmers.

#4 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

An Imperial Navy transport full of Imperial Guard goes off course in the Warp and is terribly damaged. It makes planetfall on an uncharted life-sustaining world. Too bad the planet already has orks/eldar exodites/whatever…

Now you can have Only War + farming!

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#5 trentmorten

trentmorten

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:40 AM

You could invent some trade skills or give additional functions to the one you use for riding beasts. I can see how on a desert world a stronghold with good water and fuel would be crucial, but the game mechanics don''t really favour anything so dull…. try inventing a series of flashpoints (raiders stealing crops, stampede of local wildlife to be caught, orks poisoning the water from upstream) and run it like that.

#6 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:57 AM

It is likely that, unless under a prolonged and massive siege, any large guard regiment would depend entirely upon off-world support.

Unless severely isolated in some way, you'd probably be hard pressed to turn any part of the guard into farmers.

Gamergate Primer

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#7 DarkWinds

DarkWinds

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:56 PM

I like the idea of fighting on a young Knight/Exodites planet, I've loved that lore since Epic Space Marine and fighting a campaign there would be cool. The sustainability of agriculture and livestock on these worlds is key to their importance. Not sure that a Guard Regiment would be wasted on digging anything that wasn't a trench, but I could see them fighting on these types of worlds. Helping establish and protect colonies and secure large areas would be the key goal, after that I suspect there would be a lot of scouting and skirmishing. I've always envisaged these worlds to be sparsely populated so the Regiment would probably have quite a bit of ground to cover. Once the major threats had been dealt with and some decent PDFs had been raised I think the Regiment would be lifted out of their quite quickly, assuming the Departmento Munitorum didn't forget about them.

As for worrying about agricultural output, that's not really a Guardsman's remit until his Regiment gets disbanded and left to found its own home.

DW

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS