Core set and the expansions what next

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Trumpet

Trumpet

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:42 AM

Right ive got the core set and one each of the expansions ,any recommendations on squads with this amount of ships also do you think its worth getting another tie expansion to add numbers or go for another core set for even more combo's both imperial and rebel.The only expansions im looking forward to later is the Falcon i will like to keep my battles like the films.

#2 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:44 AM

I would say get the core set again. Then you get the extra set of dice (which you need), a spare set of move markers (which are good for spares or so you and your opponent can each use their own set), a spare set of damage cards (for the same reason as having 2 sets of move markers) and you get a better deal on the ships that way (along with getting all the other stuff for free and you will really want the dice if nothing else)… its the ships that you want. You only need the Tie expansion once so you can get the pilot cards that it comes with. Since you can only have one of each pilot, you don't need duplicates of "Howlrunner", "Backstabber", and "Winged Gundark"… whether you have duplicates of those or duplicates of the pilots in the core set doesn't matter, its the ships that you want. Of course, after all my purchases, I can no longer tell which upgrade cards went where or where they came from as they are all in the same pile now so maybe there are good cards in the expansion set that you want more of. I just know that I only have one tie fighter and expansion and one Y wing expansion (though I have 2 x wing expoansions) and I don't feel like I am short on any of the cards. I have 4 x wings and a Y wing, 5 Ties and 2 tie advanced and I have all the cards that I want and don't seem to need more of any certain upgrade card, but that's me.

In regards to squad building, it depends on the size of game you are playing and which faction you want to play. I don't play games under 100 points anymore and since the game plays soo fast, I usually play 125+ these days, but many people play games in the 50-60 range, so which boat are you in? Are your games up to the 100 point level or do you play small, lower point games? Which faction do you prefer to play as or are you looking for sample squad lists for both?

#3 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

I strongly support the notion of getting 2 of everything.  The second Core Set, for exactly the reasons given above.  The 2 of each expansion ship because you get more model options to run.  Right now, I'm sticking with the 100pt games, and it's maddening trying to decide what to take, in the sense of having so many ways to go about it.  But that's OK, because it makes me really put some thought into which pilots make the final cut, instead of running the same load out each time.

If you're fond of a particular ship though, just focus on that

#4 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

If you prefer rebels, I would make sure you have a number of x-wings and a y-wing or two.  If you prefer Imperial you will may not need more than a single TIE Advanced, but you will want lots of TIEs.

Me I would want both (well I did.)

I have 6 TIEs and 3 of everything else.  It let's me pretty much field any squadron I could want.  I fully plan on buy three A-wings and at least 3 TIE inteceptors.  I will probably only buy 1 Falcon and Slave 1.

But I am used to GW table top games and in comparison to Warhammer this game is almost free. 

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#5 Trumpet

Trumpet

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:52 PM

At the moment I have 2 x wings 1 y wing 3 ties and vader but I'm the only one with the game so I have to equal the squadrons but I like the empire ties ( who doesn't) and at the moment I just want more ties so the cheapest option would be the core.with that I should be able to easy play 100 point games with both rebel and imperial. When the falcon comes out it will be flee the Death Star scenerio for me.

#6 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:55 AM

Trumpet said:

When the falcon comes out it will be flee the Death Star scenerio for me.

For me, when I get my hands on that Falcon, we'll be playing a little scenario called "Asteroids Do Not Concern Me", where you have the Falcon versus whatever the equivalent points in TIE Fighters happens to look like, and 2 Core Sets worth of asteroid tokens.  You'll also need a Games Workshop scatter die, or something like it.

You assign maneuvers, but before you reveal them, you scatter the asteroids.

Basically there's two ways this can go;

1)One Core Set's worth of tokens, and if two asteroids collide with themselves, you multiply them with an extra token each, to represent them splitting up, making a bigger mess

2)Two Core Set's worth of tokens, but no asteroid multiplication

I'm also trying to figure out when the best timing for scattering the asteroids will be.  I'm thinking after assigning movement, but before resolving, to add the flavour of difficulty in navigating the asteroid field, which should be about 3720 to 1 if my math is correct.

Victory will probably be "kill 'em all" kind of conditions, but I'd ideally like to make it a Falcon escape for the win deal, but again, without knowing all the specifics of the ship and pilot cards, I'll have to wait and see.

#7 mike6976

mike6976

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

I think i have lost my mind on this game.After watching a couple vids on the internet went out and bought core set being a long time SW junkie and only having my 12 yr old son to play with me. Long story short Love it we have had a blst already ordered another core set and some expansions.

2 core sets 

3 xwing exp

2  Tie

3 Adv tie

3 ywings

Did I go to far. seems most peep only bought 1 of each expansion but i envision some fun made up scenarios and huge dogfights.

P.S anyone know how to make a nice deathstar surfae map thinking piece of drywall but thats alot of hand carving

#8 Harleequin

Harleequin

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:44 AM

mike6976 said:

I think i have lost my mind on this game.After watching a couple vids on the internet went out and bought core set being a long time SW junkie and only having my 12 yr old son to play with me. Long story short Love it we have had a blst already ordered another core set and some expansions.

2 core sets 

3 xwing exp

2  Tie

3 Adv tie

3 ywings

Did I go to far. seems most peep only bought 1 of each expansion but i envision some fun made up scenarios and huge dogfights.

P.S anyone know how to make a nice deathstar surfae map thinking piece of drywall but thats alot of hand carving

You bought everything I bought, except for an extra X-wing, really don't see the need at all for 5 X-wings since you can only use 4 in 100 point games max. Well unless you go higher of course! I'm just sticking with tournament rules for now :b

#9 mike6976

mike6976

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

Nice to hear thats very reassuring thought i overrkilled it on minis

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS