Favorite squads

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tawnos

Tawnos

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

Not necessarily the most powerful or "meta", mind you….but things that are just fun, or that you think might be fun.

I haven't tried it yet, but I want to give this a try:

• 4x Gray Squadron Pilot
  • 4x Ion Cannon

GG

#2 Harleequin

Harleequin

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

Not sure how well that would work. Your ships would still be very weak, and if imperials had a higher level ship than you they still attack first, and still perform their attacks if they get ionized. The Y wing, even though the hull and the shields are great, only get 1 defence remember, you can easily take out all the shields in one turn ,and deal a damage to them or two, if you're mauler mithel with focus, or howlrunner next to him.

#3 Tawnos

Tawnos

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

Heh, or hell….at that point, you may as well do something like:

• 4x Gold Squadron Pilot
  • 4x Ion Cannon
  • R2-D2
  • R5-D8
  • R2 Astromech

Honestly, what's the difference between 4 and 2 in most battles.

#4 Tawnos

Tawnos

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

Harleequin said:

Not sure how well that would work. Your ships would still be very weak, and if imperials had a higher level ship than you they still attack first, and still perform their attacks if they get ionized. The Y wing, even though the hull and the shields are great, only get 1 defence remember, you can easily take out all the shields in one turn ,and deal a damage to them or two, if you're mauler mithel with focus, or howlrunner next to him.

They're gonna get their attacks regardless of whether they're ionized first or not.

I think the idea with this squad would be to weather the first salvo and get behind the enemy ASAP, ionizing a couple of their ships in the process, then chain ionizing them to death.  I would question the ability of the remaining ships to stop this in time to prevent the ionized ships from being destroyed.

#5 bullyboy

bullyboy

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:13 AM

Vander, ion, R5K6   30

Garven Dreis, R2 mech  27

Rookie X wing  21

Rookie X wing  21

99pts. Since I don't have super high initiative ships, going 1 pt under may help with those ties. :)

or something more geared on X wings…

Wedge, R 2 mech  30

Biggs, R2F2  28

Rookie X wing  21

Rookie X wing  21

#6 Tawnos

Tawnos

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:21 AM

bullyboy said:

99pts. Since I don't have super high initiative ships, going 1 pt under may help with those ties. :)

I've actually found that having initiative isn't always a good thing, especially if you're playing Rebels.  Remember that initiative means that you both attack AND move first, no matter what.  Since the Rebels tend to utilize Target Locks more than Imperials, moving 2nd is advantageous a lot of the time for Rebels to make sure those Target Locks stay in range.

Also, when attacking first, any pilot you have with a Focus is creating a situation where they are taking a risk based on unknown knowledge: are they going to need that Focus for defense later?  Should they use it now, or risk taking extra damage?  When you fire second, you have a better idea of your defensive situation before you have to make any offensive choices.

#7 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

I haven't played any 100pt games yet (needed more TIEs which just arrived in the mail today) But there are a few ship combos I love to work into my lists:

Backstabber and Mauler Mithel as wingmen.  They get inside range band 1 with Backstabber attacking from outside the firing arc and you've got 8 dice to use to hammer a ship.  I've cut X-Wings down pretty well with that pair backed by a TIE-Adv.

I've found Concussion missiles to be quite nice despite it being a one shot weapon that may not do anything.  A cheap Tempest Squadron Pilot with a Concussion Missile for 25pts is easy to mix in with lots of Named TIE pilots.  The best success I had was a 4x hit roll against a Y that rolled a blank.  Stripped all the shields and put one on the hull in one shot.  Can't beat that kind of damage at Range Band 3.

-DavicusPrime

#8 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

I love Vader with concussion missiles and swarm tactics backed up by Howelrunner (I usually give him swarm tactics too) and then a bunch more TIEs 

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#9 bullyboy

bullyboy

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

Tawnos said:

bullyboy said:

I've actually found that having initiative isn't always a good thing, especially if you're playing Rebels.  Remember that initiative means that you both attack AND move first, no matter what.  Since the Rebels tend to utilize Target Locks more than Imperials, moving 2nd is advantageous a lot of the time for Rebels to make sure those Target Locks stay in range.

but you've already decided your move at that point so it's irrelevant. You don't get to react to your opponent's move. They will either be in range or not! Better to move first and lock on to a level 6 Imperial ship before he gets to move away. At least you know exactly where he will be. Can't know the level 5 ships or below. As for target Locks, you don't lose them if they move out of range (if that's what you were thinking). heck, I could lock a TIE at the beginning of the battle and leave it on him all game no matter where he went. Not a great move, but I don't have to stay in range of him to keep it.

#10 Tawnos

Tawnos

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:10 PM

But it IS relevant, for the exact reason you mentioned.  If you move first and Target Lock, your target might then move out of range.  Sure, you don't lose the lock, but you could have possibly had a better, more immediately-useful Action, for that turn.

When you move second, you know that your Target Lock isn't going to move away.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS