• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Herr Arnulfe

Herr Arnulfe

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:33 AM

Ceodryn said:

Of course people who WANT the stuff will buy the stuff, even if it costs $100. The issue is to convince people who are lukewarm, the majority of potential buyers out there. The hardcore fans will always fall, they are not the one FFG needs to convince. 

As far as having friends who bought WFRP3  (or other editions for that matter) and can showcase it… ha ha! Right… like WFRP is such a well known universe and game. In the U.S., finding a WFRP group is like the Grail's Quest. 

A Beginner's Box for v3 wouldn't sell people on the game. It might convince them that the basic system is good, but that's not the issue for most people - there are tons of good systems out there. The issue is whether the components are worth the hassle overall, and that's something you can only figure out by getting the core box and giving it the old college try. EotE doesn't have the "X-factor" of massive fiddly bits, so its Beginners Box is a more accurate representation of what you'd actually be getting yourself into after buy-in.

Also, as you say yourself, a Beginner's Box for WFRP wouldn't be able to cover the WH setting. So a WFRP Beginner's Box would only be showcasing the system and players would still have to do their own research on the setting. Everybody knows the LotR and SW settings already.

#22 sepayne7l

sepayne7l

• Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:51 AM

So I'm guessing the Pathfinder and D&D beginner boxes were not financially successful and did not convice potential customers to ultimately buy the books? I mean, their settings and rulesets are well known enough to gamers RPG gamers, and if they are willing to spend a hundred instead of $30, why bother producing it?

#23 Herr Arnulfe

Herr Arnulfe

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:21 AM

sepayne7l said:

So I'm guessing the Pathfinder and D&D beginner boxes were not financially successful and did not convice potential customers to ultimately buy the books? I mean, their settings and rulesets are well known enough to gamers RPG gamers, and if they are willing to spend a hundred instead of $30, why bother producing it?

WFRP v3 is in a class of its own in terms of component-bloat, and it will probably remain alone in that class forever.

#24 asri

asri

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:35 AM

My guess is that every beginner's box etc. falls short on delivering the full experience of setting/ game mechanics/ components etc. Their purpose IMHO is to give beginners a first impression and hands-on experience with the game. What parts of the game should be presented in a beginner's box is open to discussion, of course. Often, rules for character creation and advancement are left out or severely cut down. Only a selection of races/ classes/ careers/ archetypes will be playable. Et cetera. There would never be hundreds and thousands of cards, blips, tokens and similar coffin nails in a beginner's box. ;)

So, Herr Arnulfe is right: A beginner's box would fail at offering the full WF experience. But I think most people will happily admit they are fully aware they won't get a full experience with such a starter's set, and never expected that much. If they get a fun evening out of it, that's great. If they're buying the core set or guides & vaults and, generally, more stuff after that: A++, success beyond expectations!

#25 Herr Arnulfe

Herr Arnulfe

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:32 AM

asri said:

So, Herr Arnulfe is right: A beginner's box would fail at offering the full WF experience. But I think most people will happily admit they are fully aware they won't get a full experience with such a starter's set, and never expected that much. If they get a fun evening out of it, that's great. If they're buying the core set or guides & vaults and, generally, more stuff after that: A++, success beyond expectations!

If the v3 Beginner's Box provided the following rules and components in addition to the custom dice and Intro adventure with pre-gens, then it would probably give newbies enough of a taste to decide whether the components are worth the hassle:

- Stance meters and Progress tracks

- enough Action and Talent cards to provide a sense of how they work

- Refresh tokens

- a few Status Condition cards

- a sample Party sheet

- a few spell cards

Now FFG could probably do a bare-bones version of these components that fits on 2 cardstock sheets, but they'd also have to include rules for using them, and that's where I think it would extend beyond the scope of a Beginner's Box.

#26 diversionArchitect

diversionArchitect

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:03 AM

Thought I'd share my two cents from someone who's following the DNDNext stuff.

Instead of treating the beginner's box as a "stripped down version" it could be presented like this:

Present the core mechanics and create simplified versions of the more compicated rules with the explanation that this is one way to use them, but the full game will have others (the actual mechanic from the core book).

I haven't really read anything on this game, because well I don't want to risk $80 on a game I've not had the opportunity to try out.  However, I'm planning on picking up the Edge of the Empire beginner box.

I believe there are some differences in the mechanics between the games (having different dice). It may be worth introducing new concepts that more mirror these new dice, that are described as I mentioend above as a "basic version" which can be slotted in for a more advanced "core version".

Very interested to see something like this come about however they might do it.  Beginner boxes have often been my entry point to any game, and let me decide if it was worth continuing.

#27 Beren Eoath

Beren Eoath

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

I don't think we will see a Beginners Box for 3e, but FFG could consider doing one for 4e - if they will make it. I think that Beginners Box is a good idea to intorude the game to new players and give players from previuos edition a chance to try the game without having to buy the core set. It cheaper then the core set but does not give that much of content. Maybe FFG will make a WFRP Beginners Box but for sure not for the edition.

Cheers.

PS. The silience from FFG make everyone nervous and promisses nothing good. They could ad least give us some news. Maybe GenCon will clear things up but I don't belive in this game any more. FFG made to many mistakes with this line. It's more probable that they will restart WFRP with a 3.5 or 4 e then that they will continue 3e.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS