Stone skin

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Triu

Triu

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:12 AM

So you can Stoneskin the target of the original attack, but not the other defenders affected by the attack (not attacked directly).  I wouldn't play it that way, but a very literal reading of the rules seems to support it. 

My reasons are based more on how it plays than RAW.  Since the Spiritspeaker has to be in range, pay a fatigue, & exhaust the card, it's not like Stoneskin is going to be madly abused on every attack.  I've seen the opinion that the Spiritspeaker is the weakest class, so limiting it at all seems like a bad idea.

#22 Macnme

Macnme

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

Well, this is one of those - 1 attack roll >  multiple targets/multiple defense rolls.

An effect like blast increases the attack radius to the adjacent squares - so I would say the peripheral characters were also being attacked by the blast attack. The actual target of the attack just represents the central square of the attack radius.

And as surge abilities are applied after the initial attack roll - you simply need to exhaust stoneskin before making the defense roll for the stoneskin target

#23 Wrapped

Wrapped

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

Page 14 - Step 2 "roll dice" - in the end of the text "Both players simultaneously roll their dice". 

There is no such thing as "after the attack roll but before the defense roll".

#24 Monsterberger

Monsterberger

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

Does it still hold true that an area of effect attack only targets one square (but damages figures in many squres)?  If so, perhaps only that targeted square is being attacked.  The fact that the area of effect is added after the attack roll does seem to get around Ironskin.  I hope the next FAQ clears this up.

#25 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,291 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

You can't roll all the defense dice when you're rolling for the attack dice, simply because some surge effects (blast, fire breath) change the number of targets.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#26 Wrapped

Wrapped

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:47 PM

Dam said:

You can't roll all the defense dice when you're rolling for the attack dice, simply because some surge effects (blast, fire breath) change the number of targets.

I would still say that this happens simultaneously in the sense that nothing can happen in between. You roll all the attack dice, resolve who rolls defense dice and then roll all defense dice in one "step". Skills etc could only be used before or after that step, never in between.

#27 Triu

Triu

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:07 AM

Wrapped said:

Dam said:

I would still say that this happens simultaneously in the sense that nothing can happen in between. You roll all the attack dice, resolve who rolls defense dice and then roll all defense dice in one "step". Skills etc could only be used before or after that step, never in between.

1. Declare Weapon and Target
2. Roll Dice
3. Check Range
4. Spend Surges
5. Deal Damage

Surges are a separate step from Roll Dice, so you are already past that step when Blast is triggered by a surge.  Does this mean that you do not allow the use of the Accurate skill or abilities that allow you to reroll dice?

#28 mustardayonnaiz

mustardayonnaiz

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:08 AM

I am pretty sure this issue is resolved, at least for me the OP

If my spirit speaker was not the initial target of the fire breath, because fire breath is added if a surge is rolled, then I would be able to use stone skin because i have yet to roll MY defense die. 

I was not the initial target, so no need to roll defense die, when the attack die were rolled. 

It would seem absurd if I had to use stoneskin to defend from an attack that I thought MIGHT be coming. This is why I asked the question. If I did use it what would stop the OL from not applying fire breath, therefore calling my bluff and making me exhaust stone skin and using a fatigue. 

That is why I also asked if the OL had to state his intention that he will use stone skin before he rolls attack die. 

#29 AnimalKDR

AnimalKDR

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:11 AM

mustardayonnaiz said:

I am pretty sure this issue is resolved, at least for me the OP

If my spirit speaker was not the initial target of the fire breath, because fire breath is added if a surge is rolled, then I would be able to use stone skin because i have yet to roll MY defense die. 

I was not the initial target, so no need to roll defense die, when the attack die were rolled. 

It would seem absurd if I had to use stoneskin to defend from an attack that I thought MIGHT be coming. This is why I asked the question. If I did use it what would stop the OL from not applying fire breath, therefore calling my bluff and making me exhaust stone skin and using a fatigue. 

That is why I also asked if the OL had to state his intention that he will use stone skin before he rolls attack die. 

You play it exactly as I would. I think the intention of the card is that it has to be played before the affected hero rolls defense dice, not to limit its ability to be played in funky situations where they are a second target.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS