Jump to content



Photo

Talisman Prologue - a PC game


  • Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#21 Nomad_Carl

Nomad_Carl

    Member

  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:08 AM

 Hi Velhart,

Thank you for your welcome!

You can email me if you like, at carl.jackson@nomadgames.co.uk although asking questions on here might be better so that everyone else can read them. But feel free to mail me whenever you like!

We are currently looking at soundtrack availability and there will be some news on this very soon!

Thanks,

Carl



#22 BanthaFodder

BanthaFodder

    Member

  • Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:38 AM

Kallabecca said:

BanthaFodder said:

 

However, I am disappointed that they are not starting off with the tablet platform. That for me would have been a better fit for what they are trying to achieve. A casual gaming experience is better done in comfort using a tablet rather than a clunking PC. I know it is in plan, I hope that they specify when it will be out as I would rather have an iPad version that PC version. 

 

 

Not sure why you think sitting at a "clunking PC" is not for casual gaming. I've done far more gaming on the PC than any other platform (consoles included). Frankly, they have a larger market by going to PCs over iPads. The overall market hasn't changed much in terms of sales. More people have or own laptops and desktops vs those that own any kind of ipad.

First of all, a disclaimer. I have iMac, thinkpad (work), iPad, PS1,PS2,PS3,N64,GameCube,Wii - of these, the older consoles are stored away, the later ones are out but rarely used, the PS3 gets most action as a BluRay player. The iMac is the home computer has some games on it that I rarely play and even has a XP VM with old games in it (that I rarely play) , had thinkpads for work since about 95 but in years gone by I had games installed that I used to play (now transferred to the VM to gather dust there) The iPad gets the most action by far.

I write software for a living but corporate stuff, nothing as interesting as games.

 

The key word I used was 'casual'. In my opinion (not fact) a 'casual' game is better on the tablet form rather than PC. I am willing to have a different discussion at some point about the impending demise of the PC for general home use but also partly a consideration, not that relevant to this forum and was not particularly what I meant.

If you use a PC for gaming, you would probably be sat at a desk, with a mouse and keyboard. There are games that are suited to this and there are some that are not. I would argue that the types of games that are suited are not casual, they involve a large investment in time. Sitting with a laptop is, in my experience, an incredibly uncomfortable experience and not one I would do for fun. I have in the past, but only because that was the only available choice at the time to me.

I only have the small video clips and summary about what will be on offer. Talisman is a pretty simple game with quirky rules (which is why I like it) Prologue is simplified still further being a single-person only affair to start . So, no need for peripherals, no gazing at a screen for long periods looking at a vast gamut of information. It looks to be a pick-up-and-play time game. Perfectly attainable and suitable for a tablet device (I specifically mentioned tablet initially but ended with iPad as that is my preference as I have one but others are available - it is the form factor I was referring to)

In the video of the show, they actually use a touch-screen which shows how suitable it would be to that interface but don't get me started on the ergonomics on using a vertically placed tough screen for any amount of time.

Also, it would seem that they are trying to bring in new blood, which is a wise move. Old-hands will probably buy it whatever the platform, as long they have that platform. Where are the next generation buying and playing their games ? On a PC or on mobile devices ? I don't know the figures but if I was going to move into game development I know where I would be concentrating my efforts.

 

I see now that Carl from Nomad has joined the merry band (Welcome Carl) so perhaps he could answer on more detail why the decision was taken to release on PC first. I am intrigued also why the separation. From what I can tell it is being developed on a platform that allows you to produce code for both PC and tablets from the same source. Sounds clever but I imagine there might be some tweaking required and for the iPad that would mean Objective-C which is, well, not the friendliest so perhaps that, perhaps the process required to get into the stores.

Carl ?

 

Anyway, hope this does not sound like a rant because it isn't. Just trying to explain myself. It looks like a bit of a ramble now but I don't have time to re-write it. Oh well. Looking forward to the Prologue anyway.



#23 Nomad_Carl

Nomad_Carl

    Member

  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:54 AM

BanthaFodder said:

 

BanthaFodder said:

I see now that Carl from Nomad has joined the merry band (Welcome Carl) so perhaps he could answer on more detail why the decision was taken to release on PC first. I am intrigued also why the separation. From what I can tell it is being developed on a platform that allows you to produce code for both PC and tablets from the same source. Sounds clever but I imagine there might be some tweaking required and for the iPad that would mean Objective-C which is, well, not the friendliest so perhaps that, perhaps the process required to get into the stores.

Carl ?

Hi!

Throughout Talisman Prologue's development, we've had touch devices in mind, but because we're such a small team (only four people working on it full-time!), we thought it best to lead on a platform we've had more experience with and the iPad/tablet version won't be too far off anyway. We don't have the manpower to work on several platforms at the same time, so we had to pick one and stick with it.

Carl



#24 BanthaFodder

BanthaFodder

    Member

  • Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:38 AM

Nomad_Carl said:

BanthaFodder said:

 

 

 

BanthaFodder said:

I see now that Carl from Nomad has joined the merry band (Welcome Carl) so perhaps he could answer on more detail why the decision was taken to release on PC first. I am intrigued also why the separation. From what I can tell it is being developed on a platform that allows you to produce code for both PC and tablets from the same source. Sounds clever but I imagine there might be some tweaking required and for the iPad that would mean Objective-C which is, well, not the friendliest so perhaps that, perhaps the process required to get into the stores.

 

Carl ?

 

 

Hi!

Throughout Talisman Prologue's development, we've had touch devices in mind, but because we're such a small team (only four people working on it full-time!), we thought it best to lead on a platform we've had more experience with and the iPad/tablet version won't be too far off anyway. We don't have the manpower to work on several platforms at the same time, so we had to pick one and stick with it.

Carl

 

Hi Carl, I figured that might be the case, did not realize you were such a small team. I must admit I don't know much about Marmalade, does it produce code that you then have to go in and 'adjust'. In my experience of other cross-platform SDKs that has been the case but things seem to have improved a lot.

Some extra questions for you then:

1. Does PC mean 'Windows' or OSX/Linux/Windows ?

2. Will iPad have system requirements on iOS (i.e. will it be iOS6 only ? )

 



#25 Velhart

Velhart

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:22 AM

Nomad_Carl said:

 Hi Velhart,

Thank you for your welcome!

You can email me if you like, at carl.jackson@nomadgames.co.uk although asking questions on here might be better so that everyone else can read them. But feel free to mail me whenever you like!

We are currently looking at soundtrack availability and there will be some news on this very soon!

Thanks,

Carl

Hello Carl,

 

That is good news!

I have another question: Is it possible to release expansion sets for Talisman Prologue, so we can update the base game.

For example the Reaper expansion, that can add 90 cards to the game, and a reaper NPC, that will move around the board.

The Computer can control the reaper this time instead of the player itself. ( because it's a single player game:)

Greetings,

Velhart



#26 Nomad_Carl

Nomad_Carl

    Member

  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:41 AM

BanthaFodder said:

Hi Carl, I figured that might be the case, did not realize you were such a small team. I must admit I don't know much about Marmalade, does it produce code that you then have to go in and 'adjust'. In my experience of other cross-platform SDKs that has been the case but things seem to have improved a lot.

Some extra questions for you then:

1. Does PC mean 'Windows' or OSX/Linux/Windows ?

2. Will iPad have system requirements on iOS (i.e. will it be iOS6 only ? 

There would be lots of adjustments required to go from PC to iPad using Marmalade. It certainly handles a lot of the complicated stuff, but the biggest issue we'll have will be memory and squeezing a PC game down into iPad memory. The Talisman artwork is great and highly detailed, and we've wanted to show this off as much as possible on the PC, but with more restrictive memory on other devices, we may need to tightly pack some data!

1) PC does mean Windows.

2) We haven't finalised the iOS requirements yet. We want as many people to play this game as possible, so we don't really want to rule out previous iOS versions.

Carl



#27 Nomad_Carl

Nomad_Carl

    Member

  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:52 AM

Velhart said:

That is good news!

I have another question: Is it possible to release expansion sets for Talisman Prologue, so we can update the base game.

For example the Reaper expansion, that can add 90 cards to the game, and a reaper NPC, that will move around the board.

The Computer can control the reaper this time instead of the player itself. ( because it's a single player game:)

Greetings,

Velhart

Hi Velhart,

We will definitely be looking at how best to implement the expansions for Talisman and we'd love to get you guys involved in that. Once Prologue is out and the dust settles, we'll be looking at all of the feedback and we really want to build the Talisman game that you guys have waited for all this time. We have to start small, due to our team size, but the hope is that everyone will get behind us and we create an awesome game together. Which expansion packs we implement first will be based on what you guys want the most!

The Reaper expansion does seem to have a lot of fans from what I've read so far!

Carl



#28 Velhart

Velhart

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

Nomad_Carl said:

 

 

 

 

Hi Velhart,

We will definitely be looking at how best to implement the expansions for Talisman and we'd love to get you guys involved in that. Once Prologue is out and the dust settles, we'll be looking at all of the feedback and we really want to build the Talisman game that you guys have waited for all this time. We have to start small, due to our team size, but the hope is that everyone will get behind us and we create an awesome game together. Which expansion packs we implement first will be based on what you guys want the most!

The Reaper expansion does seem to have a lot of fans from what I've read so far!

Carl

 

 

Hello Carl,

Thank you for this information.

The Reaper Expansion has indeed a lot of fans.

And i must say that the base game without the Reaper expansion is not complete:)

But i like the Blood Moon and Sacred Pool better:)

 

I have another small question: Are there exactly 104 cards (from the base game) in Talisman Prologue?

I ask this question, because i saw a image, that has a lot of the same enemies. (4 giants? 3 serpents etc.

Greetings,

Velhart

 



#29 Nomad_Carl

Nomad_Carl

    Member

  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:40 AM

Velhart said:

I have another small question: Are there exactly 104 cards (from the base game) in Talisman Prologue? I ask this question, because i saw a image, that has a lot of the same enemies. (4 giants? 3 serpents etc.

Greetings,

Velhart

 

 

Good question!

We have mostly stuck to the original pack of cards, but due to the nature of the quest system we're using, we have sometimes tweaked the amounts of different card types for the sake of difficulty.

For instance, when you play the board game there's a small chance that one player is the Priest and so having the Demon in the adventure deck is perfectly fine - the player who draws it could be the Priest and he can easily destroy it (low difficulty) or it could be the Warrior (extreme difficulty!). Because in Prologue we know which character you're playing as, we can tailor the deck for difficulty, so throwing Demons at the Warrior is a little unfair unless he's found the Cross!

So the screen you've seen was probably from one of the quests where we have tinkered with the deck for gameplay reasons.

Hope this answers your question,

Carl



#30 Velhart

Velhart

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:38 AM

 

Hello Carl,

Thanks for answering my question.

I see you have upload a character preview on the Talisman Prologue site.

I have a question about it.

If i am looking at the Monk, i don´t see that he can only add his craft value to his strength.

A monk may not add all his craft(including counters to his strength)

I just wanted to say this:)

 

Greetings,

Velhart



#31 Nomad_Carl

Nomad_Carl

    Member

  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:38 AM

 Good spot Velhart!

That article has been written as a very general overview of the characters, mostly for people unfamiliar with Talisman, so it didn't seem appropriate to go into finer rules such as Craft value just yet. Don't worry though, we have implemented that rule in the game!

Carl



#32 Velhart

Velhart

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:52 AM

Nomad_Carl said:

 

 Good spot Velhart!

That article has been written as a very general overview of the characters, mostly for people unfamiliar with Talisman, so it didn't seem appropriate to go into finer rules such as Craft value just yet. Don't worry though, we have implemented that rule in the game!

Carl

 

 

Thanks Carl! :)

I can't wait until it is released:)



#33 BanthaFodder

BanthaFodder

    Member

  • Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

Nomad_Carl said:

 

There would be lots of adjustments required to go from PC to iPad using Marmalade. It certainly handles a lot of the complicated stuff, but the biggest issue we'll have will be memory and squeezing a PC game down into iPad memory. The Talisman artwork is great and highly detailed, and we've wanted to show this off as much as possible on the PC, but with more restrictive memory on other devices, we may need to tightly pack some data!

1) PC does mean Windows.

2) We haven't finalised the iOS requirements yet. We want as many people to play this game as possible, so we don't really want to rule out previous iOS versions.

Carl

 

Well that's what I figured, although I have not used a mutli-platform SDK platform for a long time. Probably works for something very simple…

So, Objective-C it is then, I got as far as first few chapters a while back for personal use (actually I was going to do a Talisman game just for myself as a project to test myself!) but life took over and not had a chance to revisit it yet. Seriously, good luck with that because:

1) BOOOOOO !!!!! Although if it will run on XP I could put it in my VM. Days of putting games on work machines long gone.

That means I will have to wait for the iPad version as long as 

2) Please please make it run on 1st gen. I don't normally early adopt but the tablet seemed like such a game changer.



#34 Nomad_Carl

Nomad_Carl

    Member

  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:13 AM

 The game does run on XP, so you're ok there!

We do really want to cater for iPad 1 owners, we just haven't had the chance to see what position that puts us in with regards to the iOS version, so we cannot make a final decision just yet.



#35 BanthaFodder

BanthaFodder

    Member

  • Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

Nomad_Carl said:

 The game does run on XP, so you're ok there!

We do really want to cater for iPad 1 owners, we just haven't had the chance to see what position that puts us in with regards to the iOS version, so we cannot make a final decision just yet.

Great, I will have to dust off my the 'ol VM. #drumsfingersimpatientlywaitingforrelease

here's hoping regarding the iPad, it really is my device of choice these days.



#36 Nomad_Carl

Nomad_Carl

    Member

  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:56 AM

 Pre-orders now available!

For all those of you who've said 'can't wait!', well now you don't have to! We're accepting pre-orders on our website, which will allow you download an early preview of the game.

As well as the preview build, you will also receive exclusive extra content, including a digital soundtrack and Windows 7 theme pack. There's also the chance to get your name in the credits!

Go here to pre-order -

www.talisman-game.com/preorder

 

 

 

 



#37 Thee Forsaken One

Thee Forsaken One

    Member

  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:20 AM

Looks interesting. Just as a question, the Deluxe version is ten times the price of the normal version with only the additional perk of your name in the credits. Do you intend to add additional things for those who purchase the Deluxe version or is that it?

I would be tempted to buy the Deluxe version if there was more than that but at the moment it seems a little steep just to sneak my name into the credits.



#38 Nomad_Carl

Nomad_Carl

    Member

  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:58 AM

Hi,

I appreciate your feedback with regards to the pricing structure. 

The deluxe version is currently the standard edition with the addition of the name in credits. It's purpose is to provide those people who wish to give us extra support along our epic Talisman-shaped journey the chance to do so, in return for having their name forever etched into digital history. Almost like a 'Patron of Talisman'.

I do hope you'll go for the standard edition at least and we'll look forward to receiving your feedback.

Thanks,

Carl

 



#39 BanthaFodder

BanthaFodder

    Member

  • Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:28 AM

 Well, I tried the demo in my XP VM (VirtualBox) and I get an error

 

The build does not support SW rendering, and the device does not have HW support.

 

It is a little out of date, I could install the latest version but am I wasting my time?



#40 BanthaFodder

BanthaFodder

    Member

  • Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

 Further update. I managed to get it to run. Kinda.

 

I installed the "experimental" 3D support from Guest Additions when in Safe Mode.

This then allowed the game to run. Which it does, almost completely.

I undertand this is still beta code and I am not exactly running a standard installation but still probably not that uncommon these days to have a virtual machine ??

 

Anyway, there is just a teeny tiny problem. 

 

None of the cards are displayed. 

 

I get the shadows, the highlighting, the effects but that is all. So I have no idea which cards I am looking at.

This is all cards so characters, adventure cards etc etc.

I can see the ones on the board if I drop them but not ones I am holding.

 

It does make it a little difficult to play, I went to the blacksmith and bought a helmet and shield before I managed to get a weapon as I could not see what I was buying!!

I also get a program exception on quitting.

 

 






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS