Photo

Will this be supported beyond the basic box?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

newmarduk said:

I'm disappointed that Fantasy Flight Gmes did not use Savage Worlds for their Star Wars RPG.

They weren't ever going to do that. Savage Worlds is the propoerty of another company, and so they would  have to get their permission to use it (or is it Open Liscence?), and almost certain some proportion of the profits from their brand new, shiney Star Wars liscence. They were obviously going to go for a system they had full control over (or create a new system entirely). In the end they chose an existing ruleset they had (WFRP 3rd) and heavily modified it.

Just to note, I agree that Savage Worlds could certainly have done Star Wars, and done it very well. The "pulpy" feel that I associate with Savage Worlds suits at least some Star Wars campaign concepts. However, I personally would still prefer a specific system for it. Savage Worlds is just a bit… generic to get a Star Wars feel for me.

Derp… seems people already made my point.

#22 Dustin

Dustin

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

Donovan Morningfire said:

It seems that things like the original D&D Red Box (which was a self-contained game using bare-bones D&D rules) are a thing of the past.

Actually, have you checked out the Pathfinder beginner box? It is so worth the money. I wish their core system was that streamlined and easy (tho, I guess you can ignore the other rules without it breaking the game, but I have not read all of the 500 + rule book)

I was curious if there was going to be any other support for this box set before moving on to the core rules. I have to say, I am disappointed so far (especially when you see what Paizo has done with their intro box).

But I can only hope the good folks at FF are reading these things, so I will at least say this: Please put out on-line extras for this box set like you do for your 40K games. That would be really generous and very awesome. I am looking forward to trying this out m/

#23 sillyxander

sillyxander

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:58 AM

I just don't see why FFG would go with another companies core rule books. That's like saying why didn't D&D use the story teller system for the World of Warcraft setting. No point in giving another company your hard earned cash and talent. 

#24 Dustin

Dustin

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:08 AM

I would still like to know if they will have extra PC folios you can download from the web site. My group is 5 to 6 players.

#25 Sturn

Sturn

• Members
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:48 AM

Dustin said:

I would still like to know if they will have extra PC folios you can download from the web site. My group is 5 to 6 players.

I would love a PDF or editable version of those to download and create my own.

#26 aramis

aramis

• Members
  • 992 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

IG-58 said:

I counteract your vote with "I'm glad they didn't." Glad they started from scratch - and with a very creative vision.

I agree, especially since I find Savage Worlds Fast, Furious, but unfun… the dice mechanics are TOO random a result set.

#27 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:29 AM

Sturn said:

I would love a PDF or editable version of those to download and create my own.

I'll second this request.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#28 flyingcircus

flyingcircus

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:02 AM

I have the Beta, may get it just for the dice, unsure though.

#29 flyingcircus

flyingcircus

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:07 AM

Personally I really don't like Savage Worlds all that much, it's ok but it wouldn't work as a SW game system IMO.  I didn't like the WoTC system either d20, the only system I actually preferred was the WEG system d6.  But so far I like the FFG style, I have WHFRP 3E and it is neat as well.

#30 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:04 AM

Well, I preordered this thing finally using MM's Black Friday deal, so here's hoping the 21 Dec. release date is still good! Looking forward to this.

#31 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:47 AM

And as it turns out there is additional material in the form of two more character folios and a continuing adventure. Excellent work so far.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS