Photo

Blood for the Blood God - Tome of Blood officially announced!

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#41 Asoral

Asoral

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

*Asoral prepares a blasphemous ritual of Necromancy*
BY THE BLOOD GOD, AWAKEN!

Sooo…. Did it work? Anyone gotten their hands on the book yet? I would be beyond thrilled to hear about all the new goodies and especially the new archetypes pillo

#42 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

Well it's out now so we can talk about what's in it.

Archetypes:
Khorne Berzerker
Night Lord Marine
Xurunt Frost Father
Chem-Hunter of Messia

New Ranged Goodies:
Boiler Cannon
Thresher Gun
Combi-Weapons (multiple flavours)

New Melee Goodies:
Bonecrusher Mace
Chain Greataxe
Chain Hammer
Chan Spear
Ironfang Chainsword
Bladehands
Kursian Heavy Shield
Kursian Trident
Slivernet (evil metal net made of rusted metal that breaks off in your skin!)
Sickle Sword
Lance-Goad
Pit Net
Runesword
Runesheild
Rune Weapons are what becomes of a Daemon Weapon that has had the Daemon removed. Very rare, and have the Tainted Quality.
Wailing Axe

Daemon Weapons (lots in this book):
Berzerker Glaive (from the 3.5 Codex)
Bloodfeeder (from the 4th Ed Codex)
Dreadaxe (3.5 Codex)
Firestorm Blade (my personal fav)
Forgewhip
Gorewhip
Great Axe of Khorne (from Realms of Chaos - yes, it has a Bloodthirster in it that can pop out and attack you the moment the wielder is killed)
Heart-Ripper (Daemonic Reaper Autocannon)
Soulfire Lance

Other goodies:
Harness of Rage
Khornate Crest (armour upgrade)
Mental of Hate
Skinhidden Plate (armour upgrade)
Talax Hide Armour
Infernal Star (force field)
Messian Sky-Splitter (force field)
Bloodskull Pendant
Collar of Khorne (one not given by Gifts)
Horn of Chaos
Icons of Endless War
Skull Mask of Ang'Grath (that's the big Bloodthirster Forge World makes)
Skull Totem
Talisman of Burning Blood
Venic Noose

New Minions:
Bloodcaller
Brass Harbinger

And that's all the new stuff! cangrejo

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#43 signoftheserpent

signoftheserpent

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

THis is out? Since when?

It's not in Europe, as Esdevium don't have it listed at all!.

Although they never had Outer Reaches listed either. Are FFG having shipping problems?

#44 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

H.B.M.C. said:

Well it's out now so we can talk about what's in it.

Archetypes:
Khorne Berzerker
Night Lord Marine
Xurunt Frost Father
Chem-Hunter of Messia

New Ranged Goodies:
Boiler Cannon
Thresher Gun
Combi-Weapons (multiple flavours)

New Melee Goodies:
Bonecrusher Mace
Chain Greataxe
Chain Hammer
Chan Spear
Ironfang Chainsword
Bladehands
Kursian Heavy Shield
Kursian Trident
Slivernet (evil metal net made of rusted metal that breaks off in your skin!)
Sickle Sword
Lance-Goad
Pit Net
Runesword
Runesheild
Rune Weapons are what becomes of a Daemon Weapon that has had the Daemon removed. Very rare, and have the Tainted Quality.
Wailing Axe

Daemon Weapons (lots in this book):
Berzerker Glaive (from the 3.5 Codex)
Bloodfeeder (from the 4th Ed Codex)
Dreadaxe (3.5 Codex)
Firestorm Blade (my personal fav)
Forgewhip
Gorewhip
Great Axe of Khorne (from Realms of Chaos - yes, it has a Bloodthirster in it that can pop out and attack you the moment the wielder is killed)
Heart-Ripper (Daemonic Reaper Autocannon)
Soulfire Lance

Other goodies:
Harness of Rage
Khornate Crest (armour upgrade)
Mental of Hate
Skinhidden Plate (armour upgrade)
Talax Hide Armour
Infernal Star (force field)
Messian Sky-Splitter (force field)
Bloodskull Pendant
Collar of Khorne (one not given by Gifts)
Horn of Chaos
Icons of Endless War
Skull Mask of Ang'Grath (that's the big Bloodthirster Forge World makes)
Skull Totem
Talisman of Burning Blood
Venic Noose

New Minions:
Bloodcaller
Brass Harbinger

And that's all the new stuff! cangrejo

BYE

All of this looks awesome, but what really surpised me was that the Night Lord Marine was put into this supplemant. I was kind of expecting Iron Warriors or Black Legionnaires, but I guess I was wrong. Of course it would have been a disgrace if the Berzerker wasn't there.

Could anyone tell anything about the two human archtypes?

#45 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

Gurkhal said:

All of this looks awesome, but what really surpised me was that the Night Lord Marine was put into this supplemant. I was kind of expecting Iron Warriors or Black Legionnaires, but I guess I was wrong. Of course it would have been a disgrace if the Berzerker wasn't there.

Could anyone tell anything about the two human archtypes?

The Chem-Hunter is all about getting more than normal out of drugs. He has a special ability that increases the positive effects of any drug he takes, and also has a special drug only he can take.

The Frost Father is all about being the kind of hero that they sing songs about. His special abilities are all about getting rewarded for doing very hard stuff in combat and killing huge critters.

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#46 TorogTarkdacil812

TorogTarkdacil812

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:38 AM

Lack of Iron Warrior here gives me hope that after the God-Tomes we will get this inclouded in Tome of Dark Mechanicus or something similiar.

There is nothing as good as seeing rebel scum running out of a cave full of gas, right into the blasters of your battalion-–well, except sunrises, but for those you have to get up early.

#47 Mtkrishna

Mtkrishna

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:00 AM

I think Iron Warriors will end up in the Slaanesh Book, because they seem to working on a theme here. In BoC we had Alpha Legion, who are tricky so it fits. In this we have Night Lords, crazy, blood thirsty, flaying space pirates that wear folk.You know terror and blood.  Slaanesh is the god of perfection, but we all know this and Iron Warriors are going for perfection in siege warfare. So thematically it could work. I donno who legion wise would share co-booking with Death Guard. I would like to see a Chaos Undivided book with Black Legion and Word Bearers.

#48 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

Mtkrishna said:

I think Iron Warriors will end up in the Slaanesh Book, because they seem to working on a theme here. In BoC we had Alpha Legion, who are tricky so it fits. In this we have Night Lords, crazy, blood thirsty, flaying space pirates that wear folk.You know terror and blood.  Slaanesh is the god of perfection, but we all know this and Iron Warriors are going for perfection in siege warfare. So thematically it could work. I donno who legion wise would share co-booking with Death Guard. I would like to see a Chaos Undivided book with Black Legion and Word Bearers.

I was really thinking we would see World Eaters and Iron Warriors in Tome of Blood, then Death Guard and Night Lords (Intimidate is aligned to Nurgle in BC) in Tome of Rot(?), and then Emeperor's Children and Word Bearers (because they're social) in Tome of Excess(?).

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#49 Amaimon

Amaimon

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

What the hell is chain hammer, and chain spear? How do they differ from chain axe, and chain halberd?

#50 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

Well… one’s a hammer, the other is a spear. Neither of them are axes, and neither of them are halberds. pillo

The hammer is a 2d10+something Rending Tearing Concussive thing that you need SB4 or higher to use one-handed. The Chainspear is a spear with Tearing. It may have something else. I forget.

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#51 Asoral

Asoral

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

The way I imagine it, Chain Hammer is just a bunch of chain axes strapped to each other to make a larger biting side. Can't really think of any other way to make it work, and you gotta agree that such a weapon is indeed extra Khorne-y sonreir

#52 Cryhavok

Cryhavok

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

My prediction:

-Deathgaurd paired with Iron warriors. Patience and toughness, both will work at you till they win, no matter how long it takes. Siege and Decay hand in hand.

-Emperor's Children paired with the Fallen Angels. While unaligned, the fallen angels tend to opperate inside imperial territory and are extremely adept at deception and that just fits the slaanesh theme in my mind. That and they keep secrets… dark secrets… and the slaaneshi greater deamon is named the keeper of secrets.

-Black Legion and Word Bearers paired in the chaos undivided book (assuming there is one), the two legions who regularly unite the powers of the different chaos gods under one banner. One focusing on the legions and cultists, the other focusing on the hosts of deamons and other warp spawned baddies, with back ground packages introduced here for the other major chaos marine groups that are not actual legions, like the red corsairs.

Further predictions:

-Nurgle book will have rules for deamon princes or some other simular thing.

-Slaaneshi book will have rules for turning the masses to the dark side.

-Chaos undivided book will have full rules for unleashing your black crusade upon the imperium.

As to the accusation that the black legion is nothing but failures: I believe someone pointed out that most of the black crusades abadon led achieved thier objectives. Their goals were not to wipe out the imperium in one fell swoop. I would say instead that the black legion is generic, and as the deathwatch book included the ultramarines, the epitome of generic-ness, I doubt they will leave out the black legion.

#53 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

Speculation is fun. It's even more fun when you already know the answers. sonreir

But Fallen Angels? Interesting guess. I've always thought of the Fallen as less of an organisation and more of scattered individuals or bands. They're probably too few in number to include as an Archetype though. In your opinion, how would they work?

BYE

#54 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

H.B.M.C. said:

Speculation is fun. It's even more fun when you already know the answers. sonreir

But Fallen Angels? Interesting guess. I've always thought of the Fallen as less of an organisation and more of scattered individuals or bands. They're probably too few in number to include as an Archetype though. In your opinion, how would they work?

BYE

I'm partial to making a Forsaken and using my starting acquisitions on a Plasma Pistol and broken Power Sword complice

#55 Mtkrishna

Mtkrishna

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

-Deathgaurd paired with Iron warriors. Patience and toughness, both will work at you till they win, no matter how long it takes. Siege and Decay hand in hand.

That is super clever, I like that. I donno about the Fallen in Slaanesh, I'd like to see a Fallen archtype though, it's one of the cool "lore" things. I think the Fallen would be a better fit with Black Legion in the maybe never to happen Undivided. Deamonhosts or the possessed would be pretty cool.

I'd also like to agree that the Black Crusades were goal oriented or at least seem to be. I'd like to think Abaddon is the heir to Horus and not some hack cobbeling together the forces of ruin to run around a bit raising Cain. But the truth is it could just as easily him getting out played and grabbing a niffty toy and fleeing back to the Eye saying "Yeah getting this giant space weapon and my Planet Killer shot down were the goals." I tend to lean more towards the "This was one small step in my plan" just because I choose to.

#56 yourface

yourface

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

I was wondering what special abilitys of the new archtypes.

#57 Cryhavok

Cryhavok

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

H.B.M.C. said:

BYE

As I believe thier defining characteristic is operating within the imperium, thier specials would be based on that. I'm not sure how exactly though. If FFG were to ever make an archetype intended to be used in a crossover game they could use these guys. I agree that the fallen are less of an oraganization, but so are the players in black crusade. That Thousand Sons Sorceror you rolled, well he left his legion to seek his own fame and fortune. The fallen are all that way, but so are most player characters, regardless of origin, so thematically they would fit in just fine. As for few in number, I'm not so sure. Didn't something like half the legion fall? My impression was that there are enough fallen angels out there to out number most individual space marine chapters, they are just all scattered everywhere and you never run into more than a handful at a time max.

It seems to me though that your question was really "Fallen Angels are small fries compared to the Chaos Legions, so why would FFG ever even consider them for an archetype?" Because they are significant to the lore, and because it could bring the systems closer together. I am a fan of crossover games, and even multi level games where the players are playing two opposed groups. The Idea of a dark angels deathwatch hero, hunting the same player's black crusade fallen angel is just awesome.

The real reason I would say they might not, is that the fallen angels would have less reason to hang out in the screaming vortex, and more inclenation to move throughout the imperium itself. In my opinion anyway.

PS: While reading this through before posting I had an Idea for thier special: Start with Peer (Adeptus Arbites)(Astra Telepathica)(Adeptus Mechanicus)(administratum)(Imperial Guard)(Imperial Navy)(Rogue Trader)(Planetary Defense Forces)(Planetary Governors) and Enemy 2 (Dark Angels). Any time they call in a favor from any peer, after the favor is used they must make a challenging +0 infamy check. If they fail, A Dark angel Interogator chaplain has tracked them to that contact and "disappeared" them. Each time this happens the next check is at a cumulative -10, and the level of the peer is reduced by 1(if it gets to 0 the peer trait is lost as all your contacts within the organization are dead), and this counts as a failing. When the penalty exceeds your infamy, the interogator chaplain catches them during their next compact, in addition to any other complications that may arise. Killing the Interogator chaplain and escaping counts as completing the primary and secondary objectives of a compact in regards to gaining infamy, and it resets the penalty to this infamy check, although it does not restore lost peer traits.

#58 guest469

guest469

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

An idea for the Unaligned book: a Chaos sect with a black and white skull heraldry and a sacred number of 11, whose mighty champions terrorise the aligned servants of the 4 Chaos gods. Maybe they even rescue an Eldar goddess from the other Chaos gods.  ; )

Now about this Tome of Blood book, how much of it is fluff related to Khornate cults and factions? I'm dreading page after page of magic weapons and yet another new and completely unnecessary weapon trait/quality to remember. 

#59 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

guest469 said:

An idea for the Unaligned book: a Chaos sect with a black and white skull heraldry and a sacred number of 11, whose mighty champions terrorise the aligned servants of the 4 Chaos gods. Maybe they even rescue an Eldar goddess from the other Chaos gods.  ; )

Now about this Tome of Blood book, how much of it is fluff related to Khornate cults and factions? I'm dreading page after page of magic weapons and yet another new and completely unnecessary weapon trait/quality to remember. 

I really hope we get an Unaligned book with Word Bearers and Black Legion. Adding in something for Malal/Malice would be really unexpected and cool. Also hoping we get more races down the line (Daemonhosts or Loxatl would both be neat.)

#60 SgtColbert42

SgtColbert42

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:10 AM

Any idea when we'll see Tome of Blood on Drive-Thru RPG or the like?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS