Dark Heresy = Rogue Trader

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 Peacekeeper_b

Peacekeeper_b

• Members
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:21 AM

I don think they need another system. Dark Heresy works fine as it is.

Im just saying a complete "rule book" pulling from Dark Hereys, Rogue Trader and Deathwatch would be useful after Deathwatch is released, so in like 2 years.

#42 Psion

Psion

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:39 AM

Xathess Wolfe said:

Jephkay said:

Oh, when that Xenos book for Rogue Trader (RTX) comes out, it will be far more reaching and comprehensive.  It will have the sort of Orks encountered in space.  Flyboyz, Ork starships, Space Hulk Orks, Mekboyz, and Gretchin engineers. CA has Eldar, RTX will have more pirates, Eldar Ships, discussion of craftworlds... In other words, the material covered will expand to be of interest to those playing that type of game.

I'd put money on it.

Which is exactly my point.  So to play an Orc in space, they'll either reprint all the stuff from Creatures Anathema (admittedly not alot) but still its money I'm spending for items I already have, or force you to already own Dark Heresy material in order to get the lesser orcs in Creatures Anathema

While I see your point, there is also a lot NOT in Creatures Anathema because it focuses on the Caulix sector.  It's entirely possible that RT will focuse on another part of the galaxy and the "monster manual" will contain creatures that are common in that part of the galaxy; like the Tau (possibly.)

#43 Baldrick

Baldrick

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:05 PM

RedMike said:

Ahem... I have realised that another thread provides you all the answers you were probably looking for!

Which thread?

#44 Peacekeeper_b

Peacekeeper_b

• Members
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:02 PM

Im pretty sure Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Death Watch will all be in or around the Calixis Sector, as Ross has said before that that is the corner of the universe that GW lets them play in. So maybe out into the Halo Stars and Ghoul Stars and into nearby sectors, like the Ixaniad or Scarus Sectors.

But with Andy Hoare onboard as one of the team, we may see Tau as they were integral in both his Rogue Trader Novels!

Kroot would be nice.

#45 Peacekeeper_b

Peacekeeper_b

• Members
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:25 PM

I just hope that in Rogue Trader that you get more options for starting characters, more openings and leway so you can actually build the character you want.

At rank 1 in Dark Heresy you really dont always get to play who yo want. Sure, by rank 3 you have diversified enough to be your own unique guy, but at rank one, they all seem pretty much the same.

When I first found out there was a 40K RPG I was like "cool, chainsword here I come" but I have to wait till a higher rank to get the skill? It is such a common weapon that it sould be easily available at lower levels.

Course, i guess I could parlay for a elite advance with my starting 400XP.

That is one fix LOL.

#46 Psion

Psion

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:29 AM

Peacekeeper_b said:

Im pretty sure Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Death Watch will all be in or around the Calixis Sector, as Ross has said before that that is the corner of the universe that GW lets them play in. So maybe out into the Halo Stars and Ghoul Stars and into nearby sectors, like the Ixaniad or Scarus Sectors.

But with Andy Hoare onboard as one of the team, we may see Tau as they were integral in both his Rogue Trader Novels!

Kroot would be nice.

Working in reverse:

- So would stats for a pulse rifle or information on tech the other castes use.

- Not familiar with him, I don't read much out of the Black Library and so far nothing that wasn't about the Imperial Guard.

- It pleases me to know that GW maintains the same tightfisted control over their universe that they subject Relic to in Dawn of War.  Now if only they subjected their own publishing firm to those same rules....

#47 PGMason

PGMason

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:38 AM

As a guard person you will probably be familiar with Andy Hoare's work even if you don't realise it - he's one of the main authors of the current Imperial Guard codex, as well as Tactica Imperialis and qute a lot of Guard related stuff.

I'd really like ot see the involvement of the Tau in Rogue Trader.  It's a shame the Calixis Sector is so far away from the Eastern Eringe.

#48 Kage2020

Kage2020

• Members
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:39 AM

... and then there was a warp storm, and 'lo and behold the Tau were in the Calixis sector. 

Kage

#49 Wilfred Owen

Wilfred Owen

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:22 AM

Kage2020 said:

... and then there was a warp storm, and 'lo and behold the Tau were in the Calixis sector. 

Kage

Hah!  Let's have the Tau testing a new warp drive and it transports them to the Calixis sector.

#50 Pneumonica

Pneumonica

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:26 PM

Ahh, yes, the Chaos Tau, the world's greatest contradiction in terms.

"FOR THE LESSER GOOD!"

#51 Wilfred Owen

Wilfred Owen

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

Pneumonica said:

Ahh, yes, the Chaos Tau, the world's greatest contradiction in terms.

"FOR THE LESSER GOOD!"

Or maybe a new Tau caste - the Chaos Caste.  They are noted for their mutations.

#52 Psion

Psion

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:32 AM

PGMason said:

As a guard person you will probably be familiar with Andy Hoare's work even if you don't realise it - he's one of the main authors of the current Imperial Guard codex, as well as Tactica Imperialis and qute a lot of Guard related stuff.

I don't play the minis as I mentioned elsewhere, a thousand dollars for models, books, paint, brushes... is a little much for ONE game in my opinion.  I have been introduced to the lore through DH, DoW, Lexicum, and other places.  I've also been introduced to the controversy behind "lore=mechanics" but that's another story.

PGMason said:

I'd really like ot see the involvement of the Tau in Rogue Trader.  It's a shame the Calixis Sector is so far away from the Eastern Eringe.

Is it?  I've always had trouble putting these places to the maps given on Lexicum.

#53 PGMason

PGMason

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:19 AM

Yes, the Tau Empire is right in the extreme Galactic East, right at the far edge of the Ultima Segmentum, while the Calixis Sector is in the Galactic West, near the Scarus Sector and not too far from the Eye of Terror.

I'm sure Kage is right though, and there's a way to work them into Calixis if necessary, although it does sound a bit too Star Trek: Voyager.

#54 Psion

Psion

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:41 AM

PGMason said:

Yes, the Tau Empire is right in the extreme Galactic East, right at the far edge of the Ultima Segmentum, while the Calixis Sector is in the Galactic West, near the Scarus Sector and not too far from the Eye of Terror.

I'm sure Kage is right though, and there's a way to work them into Calixis if necessary, although it does sound a bit too Star Trek: Voyager.

Well, there's ALWAYS a way, it just depends on how satisfactory it is with the rest of the lore.  One of the Tau's allies (the new space dwarves I think) has FTL capabilities if I remember correctly but that still doesn't explain why they'd randomly want to take a jaunt across the galaxy light-years from home.

So Calixis is near the Western Rim.  Well that would explain why the Tyranids have a entry in the DH monster manual.

#55 Kage2020

Kage2020

• Members
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:07 PM

PGMason said:

Well, my response would utilise one of the cliches of the 40k universe.  Need a world to be separated from the Imperium for whatever reason? Hey, surround it in a warp storm.  Need to get a ship to a point really quickly/slowly?  The warp was acting weird.  Need practically anything to happen in the 40k universe?  Yup, you got it—the warp did it. 

The warp is just 40k's magic bullet.  But it's one of the things that we all love, though I would imagine to varying degrees.  (Phil Sibbering really loves the warp as an explanatory mechanic!)

Anyway, just because something can be done doesn't necessarily mean that it should... 

Kage

#56 Maxim C. Gatling

Maxim C. Gatling

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:06 AM

Warpalicious.  I blame it on the Warp all the time.  It's a great GM tool for explaining your goof ups.

I really hope the two systems are similar enough that I can seemlessly integrate my DH campaign into RT.  I already have RT players in my DH game...

The way I see it is, Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader are just two parts of Warhammer 40k RPG.  Hopefully, there will be more parts in the future.

For example: Why have a RT supplement book which details Orks and Eldar when you already have Creatures Anathema?  I had theorized that some of the other species/Xenos weren't in CA because they would be detailed later in a RT supplement.

Why would you not want DH players to buy RT books?  If it's all the same universe, then DH players would still want RT books to enrich their game and vice versa.  That's my opinion anyway.

#57 Peacekeeper_b

Peacekeeper_b

• Members
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:41 PM

I know they are planning on two more installments for this game (Rogue Trader and Death Watch) but I would love to see more (Greater Good: All Tau RPG*, Choas: The Ruinous Powers RPG and especially Necromunda: RPG in the Underhive).

Especially would love to see Necromunda as a RPG setting or a Necromunda like RPG setting. I mean you can play that with existing rules, but honestly, you can play rogue traders with existing rules, once you have some space travel/conflict rules.

Peace

#58 Wilfred Owen

Wilfred Owen

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:24 PM

Peacekeeper_b said:

I know they are planning on two more installments for this game (Rogue Trader and Death Watch) but I would love to see more (Greater Good: All Tau RPG*, Choas: The Ruinous Powers RPG and especially Necromunda: RPG in the Underhive).

Especially would love to see Necromunda as a RPG setting or a Necromunda like RPG setting. I mean you can play that with existing rules, but honestly, you can play rogue traders with existing rules, once you have some space travel/conflict rules.

Peace

I would love a rulebook for playing Eldar.  Their pathways seem perfect for the advancement system.

#59 Kage2020

Kage2020

• Members
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:05 AM

I would prefer more supplements and less expensive new systems, but there we go.  That's an old soap box of many.

Wilfred Owen said:

I would love a rulebook for playing Eldar.  Their pathways seem perfect for the advancement system.

Actually, there's some debate about just that point on another forum.  On the face of it kinda/maybe, but what about changing Paths?  What happens then?  Erm, but there we go.  That's food for another discussion. 

Kage

#60 Pius XIII

Pius XIII

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:51 PM

I heard that Rogue Trader is set in the Koronis Exspanse, anyone want to bet that it is near the Eastern fringe(Damocles Gulf)

I can Imagine that there will be supplaments to play as Tau and Eldar

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS