R2D2 said:

may have gone overboard….

2 x core set

2x x-wing

1x Tie fighter

2x y- wing

2x Tie/advanced

:)

Nah, it sounds on par with what most other folks are doing!

#42 R2D2

R2D2

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:00 AM

tiepilot1138 said:

R2D2 said:

2 x core set

2x x-wing

1x Tie fighter

2x y- wing

2x Tie/advanced

ah good! not many of my friends are buying it/ buying much, so I have to basically fund two complete teams!

#43 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:08 AM

R2D2 said:

ah good! not many of my friends are buying it/ buying much, so I have to basically fund two complete teams!

For the most part, unless you're lucky enough to have a strong group of locals willing to jump into this game with you, getting enough stuff to put both an Imp and Reb 100 pointer is the minimum.  I will primarily be playing this with my kids so, 2 starters and 1 of each of the expansions is my opening order.  I fully intend on getting another Y and TIE Advanced before long and maybe a third starter if they get into it.

The cost to get into this game isn't as bad as most miniature wargames, so jumping in with both sides isn't as painful as it could be.

-DavicusPrime

#44 Doc Savage

Doc Savage

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

2BitGeek said:

Since I was on vacation at CVI I splurged. 

1 Starter set

1 X-wing

1 TIE Fighter

2 TIE Advanced

2  Y-wing.

Hey, that's what I ordered!

Visit DocSavageTales.blogspot.com for cool stuff!

#45 haslo

haslo

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:36 AM

• 3 starter sets
  • 2 X-Wings
  • 2 TIE Fighters
  • 3 Y-Wings
  • 4 TIE Advanced

I'm considering a fourth Y-Wing … theoretically, I'd have enough ships to fill 100 points with the cheapest pilot of all the others, I'd need two more Y-Wings for that, but it doesn't really make sense with them.

Imperials: 13 TIE Fighter, 5 TIE Advanced, 15 TIE Interceptor, 4 Slave I, 6 TIE Bomber, 5 Lambda Shuttle, 3 TIE Defender, 4 TIE Phantom

Rebels: 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 7 X-Wing, 5 Y-Wing, 4 YT-1300, 6 A-Wing, 5 B-Wing, 5 HWK-290, 6 Z-95, 3 E-Wing

#46 Tforster78

Tforster78

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:27 PM

I have 1 starter and 1 X-wing I got from celebrations.  My preorder consists of 2 Advanced, 2 Y-wings, 1 X-wing, and 3 Ties.  I am thinking about getting a second starter the extra templates will be good to have. 

#47 R2D2

R2D2

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

R2D2 said:

tiepilot1138 said:

R2D2 said:

2 x core set

2x x-wing

1x Tie fighter

2x y- wing

2x Tie/advanced

FFG are doing well from all these rumours of imminent release… I just added another x-wing and another tie fighter to my order…

#48 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:06 AM

So it just dawned on me that with the exception of the TIE Advanced (I'll only have 2) I'll have enough miniatures to every individual pilot at the same time.  6 X-Wing pilots, 9 TIE fighter pilots, 4 Y-Wing pilots, and 4 TIE Advanced pilots.  It's probably a good thing that CSI is out of stock or I might have to up my pre-order.

Welcome to the FFG Star Wars RPG Index 

#49 gokubb

gokubb

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:19 AM

I picked up 2 Starters, 1 X-Wing, 1 TIE, 2 Y-Wing and 2 TIE Advanced x1. If we get a good play group, I'll probably grab another starter and Y-Wing.

#50 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

6 TIE Fighters

2 TIE Advanced

4 X-wings

2 Y-wings

#51 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:36 PM

After reading all the cards very carefully, I called today to revise my order slightly.

I'm now getting 3 starters, 1 X-Wing, 1 TIE, 2 Y-Wing, 2 TIE Advanced

That will be:

4 X-Wing (same as before)

7 TIE (one more than before)

2 Y-Wing (same as before)

2 TIE Advanced (same as before)

If the R5  (from the X-Wing expansion) ends up being very good, I will order another X-Wing Expansion. Though with only 6 rebel ships and 7 astromechs to chose from (not counting doubles of uniques), I'm hoping I'll be all set.

This will hopefully give me lots of options until the next expansions are released.  And, this way I got one more TIE for only $5 more (plus more Dice, templates, tokens, etc.)

#52 supremespleen

supremespleen

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:41 AM

Jeez, you guys are making me feel casual.

I'm just going with two starters for now. Will probably supplement my collection with a Y-Wing and TIE Advanced next.

#53 thatfargone

thatfargone

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:46 AM

Just one of everything. Which after reading this thread doesn't seem like nearly enough.

#54 AncientAngel

AncientAngel

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:12 AM

If I am seeing this correctly every expansion pack gives you 4 pilot cards. Making the idea of buying more starter sets even more cost effective. Turning those rookie pilots into something greater.  It is a cleaver marketing idea to do that with the expansions.

Like the rest of you, in the long run I think I will end up buying 2 starter sets and at least 1 of each expansion to get me going. This at least would allow me to field one of each level of tie fighter pilots. Plus give me a wider range of pilots for the x-wings.

I can see y-wings being the bane for any imperial player, even with out the ion cannon. To have that many points flying around, could make the difference in a modified match win.

#55 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:08 AM

AncientAngel said:

If I am seeing this correctly every expansion pack gives you 4 pilot cards. Making the idea of buying more starter sets even more cost effective. Turning those rookie pilots into something greater.  It is a cleaver marketing idea to do that with the expansions.

Like the rest of you, in the long run I think I will end up buying 2 starter sets and at least 1 of each expansion to get me going. This at least would allow me to field one of each level of tie fighter pilots. Plus give me a wider range of pilots for the x-wings.

I can see y-wings being the bane for any imperial player, even with out the ion cannon. To have that many points flying around, could make the difference in a modified match win.

Each ship model comes with a full set of the generic pilots and all secondary weapons that are available to them.  Then each expansion comes with a selection of unique pilots that are specific to each expansion (2 for all but the TIE which comes with 3).  They also come with at least a couple upgrade cards, some unique, some not so much.  The rebel expansions have a unique and common Droid upgrade each and a skill or two.  TIE's include multiple skill upgrades since that's the only type of upgrade they can take.  Swarm Tactics and Squad Leader seem to be the unique ones that come with the TIE and/or TIE Advanced.

I'm going to get 2 Starters and 1 each of the expansions for my first order so I'll have a complete selection of options.  But I'll probably grab another Starter and maybe one or two more Y's, TIE's and T-Advanced.

As for Y's being such a big problem for Imps…  The high hull and shield values are going to be heavily countered by the Y's single agility die.  It'll be easier for TIE's to inflict damage so it will probably even out in the end.  It's going to be all about swarming and getting those extra dice through skills and close range.  I think a big part of the game will be about using your whole squadron to win the game.  A single Y, is going to have trouble taking on an equal point value of Imps.  The Ion Cannon may be powerful, but it won't kill anything quickly enough on it's own to keep from getting chewed up if you're taking on multiple targets.  But with a couple wingmen, a Y-Wing becomes a heck of a lot more dangerous.  Using Y's to set up targets for X's sounds like a tactic I intend on using a lot.

-DavicusPrime

#56 lincolnlog

lincolnlog

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:04 AM

2 Core Sets to get extra play aids (dice, templates, actions markers, etc), 2 TIE Expansions, 2 Y-Wing Expansions, 2 X-Wing Expansions, 1 TIE Advanced (wish I had order 2 now).

Totals:

4  X-Wings

2  Y-Wings

6  TIE

1  TIE Advanced

#57 rhaak

rhaak

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:07 AM

rhaak said:

2 x base game
2 x X-Wing expansion
4 x TIE-Fighter expansion
4 x Y-Wing expansion
4 x TIE-Advanced x1 expansion

Gives me a total of:

--------Rebels---------------
4 x X-Wing
4 x Y-Wing 
--------Empire---------------
8 x TIE-Fighter 
4 x TIE-Advanced x1

I changed my order:

4 x base game
2 x X-Wing expansion
4 x TIE-Fighter expansion
4 x Y-Wing expansion
4 x TIE-Advanced x1 expansion

Gives me a total of:

--------Rebels---------------
6 x X-Wing
4 x Y-Wing
--------Empire---------------
12 x TIE-Fighter
4 x TIE-Advanced x1

#58 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:10 AM

I'm beginning to find that I need to get a third Core set just to be able to get an all TIE 100pt Imp list.  It's turned out to be impossible to fill out 100pts with the 5 TIE's I already have on order.  The highest point Pilots for TIEs only run about 20pts with a skill upgrade and there are only 2 named pilots that are that high in value.  So filling out 100pts with only 5 TIEs isn't possible.  I will have to use the Tie Advanced in all my lists until I acquire more TIEs.

-DavicusPrime

#59 tiepilot1138

tiepilot1138

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:30 AM

DavicusPrime said:

I'm beginning to find that I need to get a third Core set just to be able to get an all TIE 100pt Imp list.  It's turned out to be impossible to fill out 100pts with the 5 TIE's I already have on order.  The highest point Pilots for TIEs only run about 20pts with a skill upgrade and there are only 2 named pilots that are that high in value.  So filling out 100pts with only 5 TIEs isn't possible.  I will have to use the Tie Advanced in all my lists until I acquire more TIEs.

-DavicusPrime

I was considering this too, but I'm not sure if I'm going to want to run an all tie swarm.  I'll have 5 ties and and advanced, which will hopefully tide me over for now.  (although I'm afraid if I wait I won't be able to find it when I really do want it).

#60 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:39 AM

tiepilot1138 said:

I was considering this too, but I'm not sure if I'm going to want to run an all tie swarm.  I'll have 5 ties and and advanced, which will hopefully tide me over for now.  (although I'm afraid if I wait I won't be able to find it when I really do want it).

My desire was to be able to put lots of different combos of ships on the table at 100pts.  I thought 5 TIEs would be enough to get me by if I didn't want to put the Advanced on the table as well, but the point values of TIEs just don't go high enough to make that possible.  In the end it just means that I'll have to put the TIE Advanced in every list until I scrounge up the cash to pick up at least one more TIE Expansion or grab a third Boxed set.  I was already planning to pick up another Y and TIE advanced in my second round of ordering, now it looks like I'll just have to pick up a second TIE and X-Wing too.  Such a hardship.

-DavicusPrime

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS