• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 Gallandro

Gallandro

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

Cyril said:

I love the updates. Makes humans much more competitive, and the free talent ranks for some of the species opens up the door to differentiate some of the fan-created species that have been created.

Cyril said:

I love the updates. Makes humans much more competitive, and the free talent ranks for some of the species opens up the door to differentiate some of the fan-created species that have been created.

Agreed!

On a second note:  FFG I HATE you (not really).  Look I bought this game and waited patiently for it tor arrive.  I suspected it would be a quality product like most stuff from FFG, but I had no idea this would become my favorite Star Wars RPG… and it has.  Yes, there are warts and some stuff to smooth out and Force powers definitely need to be addressed before the final release, but I am shocked how quickly my group took to the game and the narrative dice system, and how much EotE captures the spirit of the Star Wars movies.  Frankly this game is a joy to gamemaster, and I've already run two sessions and look forward to my next session next week.

And HUGE kudos to the design team… again I really had no clue there would be weekly updates, especially one presented in such a professional manner.  I expected maybe one or two Errata and Rules Clarifications on the forums before the release with designers popping in once and a while in a thread.  Great, great customer support especially given the little shipping hiccup when the game was first released.

Again super job!  Now I'm off to plot my group's next adventure in a galaxy far, far away…

Yancy

#22 Inksplat

Inksplat

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:17 PM

Cyril said:

Venthrac said:

Inksplat said:

10XP over the course of a Campaign is nothing. 10 XP over the course of Character Creation can be quite a bit more, and effects the entire game, not just the one Spec in the back of the book.

As it was, you could take a Spec just to buy skills for cheaper during Character Creation and then drop it, and end up having saved XP. This addresses that.

Edit: Or Permanent Talents, for that matter.

That's the crux of it, in my opinion. As such, I fully support the change in Spec. cost.

Exactly. I mean you get 10 XP just for making it to the end of the Crates of Krayts adventure at the back of the book.

Actually you get like 20. 10 for it, five for playing to your motivation, and I think there's another 5 listed there as well.

#23 Cyril

Cyril

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

Inksplat said:

Cyril said:

Venthrac said:

Inksplat said:

10XP over the course of a Campaign is nothing. 10 XP over the course of Character Creation can be quite a bit more, and effects the entire game, not just the one Spec in the back of the book.

As it was, you could take a Spec just to buy skills for cheaper during Character Creation and then drop it, and end up having saved XP. This addresses that.

That's the crux of it, in my opinion. As such, I fully support the change in Spec. cost.

Exactly. I mean you get 10 XP just for making it to the end of the Crates of Krayts adventure at the back of the book.

Actually you get like 20. 10 for it, five for playing to your motivation, and I think there's another 5 listed there as well.

Yeah, there was meant to be an "at least" in front of that 10. Anniversary champagne makes it hard to remember what I was typing.

#24 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:14 AM

Inksplat said:

And that's not including the 10xp per session suggestion too!

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#25 GM Chris

GM Chris

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:47 AM

Sam,

Something's currently wonky with the low-res copy of the pdf.  It's "cutting off" or "missing" most of the 2nd page of text.

Host of The Order 66 Podcast:  http://www.d20radio.com

Find all the EotE Order 66 Episodes right here:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/Order66

#26 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:29 AM

Solid changes all around.

Personally I would have liked to see something more on defenses in general (I recognize the game is tooled in such a way to strongly tend toward success). It just feels that any time you are being attacked, there is very little you can do to prevent that. And if its a serious foe, most of the weapons can take down a capable PC fairly quickly.

Also, obviously Force resistance, although I'm less concerned about that (as I get that the Force really isn't supposed to be very common in game).

Good to see the clarifications on melee damage, and that the combat skill section is brought in line with the actual combat mechanics. The species changes are interesting, but now it feels more difficult to balance specieis/generate new ones. Droids still feel particularly underpowered, given the manner in which characteristics are purchased.

In fact, the metagame of "buy as many characteristic improvements at character creation" is still present. I'm not sure if it should be dealt with, but its a fairly legitimate case where one decision is inherently greater than another.

#27 selderane

selderane

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:53 AM

Inksplat said:

Dulahan said:

Inksplat said:

It won't be harder to be a force user once Force & Destiny comes out, and there are Jedi Careers. Do you really want them to not balance the REST of the game for the sake of ONE Spec? That'd be silly.

In 3 years…

And we don't need Jedi Careers to at least have the Force be a thing. 

Are you honestly ignoring the fact that there are 18 other Specs that need to be balanced? You can still be a Force-Sensitive, they didn't take it away. 10XP over the course of a Campaign is nothing. 10 XP over the course of Character Creation can be quite a bit more, and effects the entire game, not just the one Spec in the back of the book.

Can you clarify this a bit for me?  Why is increasing the XP cost of all talent trees balancing?  Can you give me an example of picking up a talent tree for skills being cheaper than buying the skill itself?

I just completed character generation for my group and this never came up so I'm just seeing an XP increase across that board and that seems strange.

#28 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:22 AM

selderane said:

Can you clarify this a bit for me?  Why is increasing the XP cost of all talent trees balancing?  Can you give me an example of picking up a talent tree for skills being cheaper than buying the skill itself?

I just completed character generation for my group and this never came up so I'm just seeing an XP increase across that board and that seems strange.

The idea is that for 10xp, you could pick up an out of career spec, and train 3 different skills that are part of its career skills. Since each non-career skill has a 5xp "tax" assigned to it, buying 3 of the new career skills results in a savings of 15 xp. Subtract the initial 10xp cost, and all of a sudden you wind up with a 5 xp savings, (30 xp for 3 rank 1 non career skills, or 10xp for new spec + 15 for 3 rank 1 career skills).

20xp doesn't really solve the "problem" but it does push it back a bit. Enough at least that its not something a player is going to do lightly.

#29 Inksplat

Inksplat

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:35 AM

KommissarK said:

selderane said:

The idea is that for 10xp, you could pick up an out of career spec, and train 3 different skills that are part of its career skills. Since each non-career skill has a 5xp "tax" assigned to it, buying 3 of the new career skills results in a savings of 15 xp. Subtract the initial 10xp cost, and all of a sudden you wind up with a 5 xp savings, (30 xp for 3 rank 1 non career skills, or 10xp for new spec + 15 for 3 rank 1 career skills).

20xp doesn't really solve the "problem" but it does push it back a bit. Enough at least that its not something a player is going to do lightly.

Or a Hired Gun, for example, you could pick up both in-career specs, grab a bunch of starting toughness/grit/whatever that is permanent, then drop them and pick up ANOTHER spec for some more.

#30 selderane

selderane

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:36 AM

And was this all the XP increase was supposed to address?

#31 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:44 AM

Unknown of course, but its probably the big thing. 10-20xp is still chump change in the grand scheme of this game (if its seriously a recommended 10xp per session).

Making out of career specs 20xp just makes it an actual decision instead of something one just picks up.

#32 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:53 AM

Now I want my copy even more… I have lost contact with the tracking, last registered 28 august some sorting facility… should be here soon I hope!

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#33 Darth_Dogg

Darth_Dogg

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:32 AM

Sam

With the clarification on starting credits and the addition of rolling one d100 to determine pocket change, can an update be done to the SW Dice App to add a d100 die to the RPG dice. Then we wouldn't need to carry around one die for that one time roll.

Thanks for all the hard work you all have been doing, the game is so Epic and a blast to play. I can't wait to see the final product!

Shawn

#34 Inksplat

Inksplat

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:40 AM

Darth_Dogg said:

Sam

With the clarification on starting credits and the addition of rolling one d100 to determine pocket change, can an update be done to the SW Dice App to add a d100 die to the RPG dice. Then we wouldn't need to carry around one die for that one time roll.

Thanks for all the hard work you all have been doing, the game is so Epic and a blast to play. I can't wait to see the final product!

Shawn

The starwars dice app has percentile dice you can use.

#35 GoblynByte

GoblynByte

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

KommissarK said:

Personally I would have liked to see something more on defenses in general (I recognize the game is tooled in such a way to strongly tend toward success). It just feels that any time you are being attacked, there is very little you can do to prevent that. And if its a serious foe, most of the weapons can take down a capable PC fairly quickly.

I actually found the lack of "defense" against ranged attacks to be pretty balanced and exciting. Players run for cover which (contrary to what most people seem to "see") matches the movies pretty well. I vote for keeping the to-hit mechanics as they are.

#36 GoblynByte

GoblynByte

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

My compliments to the designers for hearing and responding to the fans and beta testers. I enjoy very much the direction the game is going and appreciate the attention given to updates. Keep up the great work!

#37 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:51 AM

GoblynByte said:

KommissarK said:

I actually found the lack of "defense" against ranged attacks to be pretty balanced and exciting. Players run for cover which (contrary to what most people seem to "see") matches the movies pretty well. I vote for keeping the to-hit mechanics as they are.

Oh certainly, Its just I'm not sure how useful 1 setback die is as a means of "defense."

#38 GoblynByte

GoblynByte

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

KommissarK said:

Oh certainly, Its just I'm not sure how useful 1 setback die is as a means of "defense."

Hmmm… yeah, maybe upping that to two would be useful. Hits were pretty rare in the one session I played, but how much of that was due to the single setback die is arguable.

#39 Inksplat

Inksplat

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

KommissarK said:

GoblynByte said:

KommissarK said:

Dropping prone while behind cover will give you a second as well. That, and running away is an option. There is lots of running away from blaster fire in the OT. :P

#40 GoblynByte

GoblynByte

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

Inksplat said:

KommissarK said:

GoblynByte said:

KommissarK said:

Dropping prone while behind cover will give you a second as well. That, and running away is an option. There is lots of running away from blaster fire in the OT. :P

And systems that don't default everything to "stand and fight" is better in terms of storytelling, in my opinion. Sometimes running away (or surrendering) makes for a great story!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS