• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 gruntl

gruntl

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:24 AM

dvang said:

As another option, use a mechanic similar to spellcasting. Each PC has "combat points", similar to Favor or Power, equal to their relevant stat (or highest stat of ST/AG).  Using an action costs a number of these points equal to the recharge of the action. These points have "equilibrium", and will replenish one point per round like Power/Favor. Since there is no "channel power" or "curry favor", powerful actions will naturally be resticted in how often they can be used. You could also allow a character to suffer fatigue for additional "combat points" on a one for one basis, for example, simulating a heroic/extra effort to perform an expensive action that the character doesn't currently have points for.

Personally, I think that I like the second option … but it is something else that needs to be tracked (in a sense) as it is another pool, so is still a little fiddly.

I like this too, and have considered something like it. But it still involves tracking points. And one would probably have to redo some more of the rules (for example on-going actions, and how delay result affects the pool). Also dual tracking for wizards/priests is a bit inelegant.

#22 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

dvang said:

As another option, use a mechanic similar to spellcasting. Each PC has "combat points", similar to Favor or Power, equal to their relevant stat (or highest stat of ST/AG).  Using an action costs a number of these points equal to the recharge of the action. These points have "equilibrium", and will replenish one point per round like Power/Favor. Since there is no "channel power" or "curry favor", powerful actions will naturally be resticted in how often they can be used. You could also allow a character to suffer fatigue for additional "combat points" on a one for one basis, for example, simulating a heroic/extra effort to perform an expensive action that the character doesn't currently have points for.

I toyed with the possibility of creating something call adrenaline, similar to the rage or rogue points that you can find in WoW.

Essentially, as you mentioned, it would work as power or favour, just that they are used only to fuel non-spell action cards. You would start with a certain amount of adrenaline points (say equal to a certain characteristic), and each time you perform an action it will drain your adrenaline. Equally to power or favour, you will move towards equilibrium each round. Finally, instead of channeling /currying adrenaline, you will build up adrenaline by suffering fatigue and by recvieving wounds.

I never got close even to implement the idea.

Cheers,

Yepes

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#23 TrueLancer

TrueLancer

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

heptat said:

LordoftheMilk said:

I think the recharge mechanic is fantastic.

No more duration counting, no more magic points, etc…

Also allows for heroic fighting styles and maneuvers.

A wonderful evolution.

And if you need more flwxibility, you can simply use the toolkit rules whereby you can reuse an action card while adding misfortune dice.

That's cool, I'm glad you like it :) My players just found it a bit fiddly and we were always forgetting whether we'd taken the chit off or not…we lost count too easily (but you're right, we'd have the same problem with counting durations :D).

You're supposed to fix your recharge at the end of your turn. If a player is forgetting, that's on them. It's done at the same time and totally unambiguous.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS