Transporting Models

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#41 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

i think i will go with the small metal tool box option… for style.

#42 Rassilon

Rassilon

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

I picked up two of the above mentioned Plano boxes today from a local K-Mart.

Only have need for one right now, but I figure I'll use one for Rebels and one for Imperials later on. It also looks like the Falcon and the Slave 1 should fit the two larger slots on the side.

Thanks! Good call!

#43 mrblurr

mrblurr

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:34 PM

You might also look at the Stack-On DCOG-10 

It seems to be about 4 inches deep (not completely sure how tall a mini is on it's stand) which should fit anything and you can remove parts of it to store more like the 1300 or Firespray. 

#44 tiepilot1138

tiepilot1138

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:12 AM

drkjedi35 said:

No problem.

Roy

I grabbed the last one at the Kmart in Herndon today.  Thanks for asking though!  (My online stuff is supposed to get here Wednesday)

#45 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:52 AM

I just picked up the Husky deep pro organizer from Home Depot. Granted, this is for my Dungeon Command stuff, but I may abandon the metal tool box for this when it comes to X-wing storage.

It looks pretty slick, has different sized, modular cups for storage. It appears this box will safely store all one's ships, and have room for future ships.

Here's the link. Copy and paste.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/husky-deep-pro-organizer-17191710.html#.UFd9uI1lRcQ

#46 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:29 PM

tiepilot1138 said:

drkjedi35 said:

No problem.

Roy

I grabbed the last one at the Kmart in Herndon today.  Thanks for asking though!  (My online stuff is supposed to get here Wednesday)

That's great! I think this is the perfect case for X-wing.

Roy

#47 AngryMojo

AngryMojo

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

I use this.

javascript:void(0);/*1347941442732*/

Cheap, easy and it fits the ships perfectly.

#48 TimeLapse

TimeLapse

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

I used two of these part boxes there cheep and you can get them from walmart. I also used the plastic molded stuff for the pakages to keep my models secure as well. Trasport the way i like it, cheep, and effective. 

#49 dashrendar

dashrendar

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:22 AM

drkjedi35 said:

Picked up a Plano 5231 at K-Mart today for $6.50.  And its is perfect!

Roy

What section is everyone finding these in? I went my local K-Mart, online said they had them in stock, but couldn't find one. And the workers there are worthless.

#50 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

I think it was in Home Organization or something like that.

Roy

#51 tiepilot1138

tiepilot1138

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

drkjedi35 said:

Roy

Yup, the hardware section.

#52 chrisrivers

chrisrivers

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:38 AM

For those of you in the Pacific NW of the USA,  Fred Meyer has the single sided Red Plano box on sale for $10. It is in the hardware area.  I might just buy a 2nd one and stick them together somehow.

Chris Rivers

#53 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:15 AM

I love the Plano 5231 case, but decided to organize mine a bit differently. You can see how much this can hold (lots of room for more ships this way).  I also decided to store my cards in a binder in Ultra Pro organizers.  I have a section for ships and a section for upgrades.  Also gives me a nice way to store the instructions.  MUCH easier to see and find things this way (not to mention it leaves more room for minis in the case).  This is how I generally organize my other minis games, so I figure I'd give it a try with this one to see how it goes. 

#54 AncientAngel

AncientAngel

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

El_Tonio said:

I love the Plano 5231 case, but decided to organize mine a bit differently. You can see how much this can hold (lots of room for more ships this way).  I also decided to store my cards in a binder in Ultra Pro organizers.  I have a section for ships and a section for upgrades.  Also gives me a nice way to store the instructions.  MUCH easier to see and find things this way (not to mention it leaves more room for minis in the case).  This is how I generally organize my other minis games, so I figure I'd give it a try with this one to see how it goes. 

I love your level of organization. I plan on doing something very similar. I am not sure on the binder with the cards, because I am going to put mine in sleeves and last I checked most of those card organizers have issues holding a card already in a sleeve.

#55 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:47 PM

If you put them in firmer plastic sleeves (rather than the very thin/flimsy ones) they work well in the 9 card organizer even when in the sleeves.  I tried it other ways, but never could see everything on the cards at a glance to my satisfaction, so this works well for me. But, the cards will fit in the Plano case if that's how you want to go.  But, when wave 2 comes out (especially with bigger ships) you might need to expand.  With just the damage cards in the case there is lots off room left for ships. 

#56 dashrendar

dashrendar

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

tiepilot1138 said:

drkjedi35 said:

Roy

Yup, the hardware section.

Thanks guys, went and checked again and found them! They had 4, but everyone of them had the top left clear part that goes under the latch broken. so only one side would latch. So back to searching around again.

#57 AncientAngel

AncientAngel

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:33 PM

Anyone thought of tackle boxes? Even at the hardware store they have some organizers for nuts and bolts etc…? Plenty of options out there, once my mini's show up tomorrow or Saturday. I will let you know if this hardware store organizer works.

If you check out Amazon and search for X wing. Click on one of the expansions and you will notice several containers that were often purchased with that item.

#58 crackerbox

crackerbox

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:18 PM

I see that some one mentioned they bought the Plano 5231 for $13 on Amazon. Well if you happen to live in the Midwest, Menards has them on sale for $8. Save that $5 towards another ship!

#59 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

crackerbox said:

I see that some one mentioned they bought the Plano 5231 for $13 on Amazon. Well if you happen to live in the Midwest, Menards has them on sale for $8. Save that $5 towards another ship!

I got mine for $6.50 at K-mart!  So I agree, they can be found pretty cheap.  Thinking about getting a second one and using velcro to stick the two together back to back.

Roy

#60 GreyHart

GreyHart

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:32 AM

The Plano case is JUST what I was looking for! I wish I'd have found this thread before spending money on new foam trays for my Sabol case! I'm definately going to have to get one of these somewhere. Great find!

Imperials: TIE (10), TIE Advanced (4), TIE Defender (2), TIE Interceptor (4, +2 of ea. Ace), TIE Bomber (2), TIE Phantom (2), Firespray (2), Imperial Shuttle, Decimator - (on the Raider) "Impressive. Most impressive."
Rebels: X-Wing (4, +1 from the Rebel Transport), Y-Wing (2), A-Wing (4, +2 Ace), B-Wing (2, +2 Ace), E- Wing (2), Z-95 Headhunter (4), HWK-290 (2), Millennium Falcon, Outrider, Rebel Transport, Tantive IV - "Fly casual."

S&V: Y-Wing (2), HWK-290 (2), Firespray (2) - "I will sing to you the song of my people." <sounds of blaster fire>

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS