European Tournament CoC LCG, IRV Liège. Saturday 27th October 2012

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

Are we going to see some of the decks posted?

#22 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

dboeren said:

Are we going to see some of the decks posted?

I was playing almost the same deck I played in the Munich Regionals (which in turn was almost the same deck as the one I was playing last year in Liege). Nonetheless, I'm going to post the updated decklist over at CardDB and provide a link. I didn't make the top 8 again, so it's probably not particularly interesting anyway.

Also, Jonathan played COCLCG's Dark Byakhee deck (unmodified as far as I could tell) which you may have already seen here and over at CardGameDB.

I'm confident several players will post their decklists either here or at the Cenacle. I'll post links if I find any.

I also plan on giving a short personal report about the tournament.

#23 Konx

Konx

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:15 PM

Awesome tournament, as always! Great organization, great location and, most important, great people :) It's always nice to meet the european cthulhu community :)

This year my deck sucked! I saw the new cards (especially Necronomicon) only 10 days before the tournament, and the moment I saw the shub-necro I panicked. Great card, combo enabler and in general a complete no-go for my deck that I've been playtesting.  With only 1 week available I couldn't find an apppropriate solution and that has been obvious the day of the tournament, sigh. ^^ I decided to play a more streamlined Cthulhu-Yog deck, counting on a bit more early rounds pressure but it didn't work (zero playtest = you lose).

I want to congratulate to Damien again…very interesting metagame choice!

if someone will be in Stahleck, see you there…or otherwise, see you for the regional season :)

Francesco / Konx

#24 B_P

B_P

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:47 AM

Konx said:

I want to congratulate to Damien again…very interesting metagame choice!

Francesco / Konx

Thanks!

I'll explain my choices for my deck, but I don't know when I'll do it (before or after the worlds).

It was a great tournament. I always meet some really interesting people and interesting decks.

And I'm really happy to win this European tournament. Last time I won a big one tournament was 4 years ago. It was about time! :D

#25 COCLCG

COCLCG

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:20 AM

wow. haha. didnt realise the dark byakhee sucked so much ( though it does take a bit to get used to ). do you know if he played the same deck on the sunday ?? either he did and just had a bad day on the saturday ( or got some practice with it ), or he trashed it and found a better one !! sorry Jonathon for the poor performance. i hope the top spot on sunday was some consolation and you got some goodies.

can't wait for some lists !!

#26 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:01 AM

Yep, my congratulations to Damien, too!

COCLCG said:

wow. haha. didnt realise the dark byakhee sucked so much ( though it does take a bit to get used to ). do you know if he played the same deck on the sunday ??

I don't know if he also played it on Sunday - I had to leave early and didn't see what he played.

The funny thing is both me and Wolfgang (who picked me up on the to Liege) had independently considered playing the Dark Byakhee. We both had the problem that we didn't have the time to create a new deck and like Francesco our two latest APs arrived only a week before the tournament.

I had played four test games using Dark Byakhee against my old deck and DB won only once. Two games were very close, though, taking over an hour and ending with 2:3 stories. On the day before the tournament we played another two test games, one against Wolfgang's old deck and one against Christian's preliminary deck (based on Ulrich's deck from GenCon 2011(?)). DB didn't win against either so we decided to go with our old decks.

In the tournament I actually played against Jonathan in the second round (after being crushed by mzi in round one) and immediately recognized the deck. My familiarity with the deck caused me to become overconfident, though, so after leading with two stories to zero I made a small mistake, allowing him to score his first story, followed by a surprising win of the 'Village of Ash' helped by taking over my 'Julia Brown'. In the end we both had two stories and ran out of time. He was declared winner because he had one success token more than me.

Deserves me right, I guess. Well, at least I won the two last games but that was a small consolation.

Anyway, just like last year it was a great tournament with many interesting decks and to my big surprise a fair share of combo decks, as well. I was definitely glad I had decided to keep Snow Graves in my deck… I have few opportunities to play CoC between tournaments, so I played as many games as I could in the time I had.

I'll refrain from saying more about the other decks, though, before Worlds (i.e. November 11th), since several players asked for it.

#27 COCLCG

COCLCG

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:37 AM

oh well. at least its seen some good use as a tester ( which is what i use it for against my other decks ). it was made back in the ancient relics cycle ( with a one card change to update using ya-te-veo ). perhaps it just doesn't match the newer decks available anymore. but i still like it and it has served me well to date. thanks for the consideration !!

and yes. congrats to damien of course !!

#28 Dark Initiate

Dark Initiate

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:49 AM

Great tourney!

Thanks go to Fred for his hospitality and a well run event!

#29 mzi

mzi

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:56 AM

I have posted my deck in the appropriate section.

The tournament was great.

I will only comment other decks after Worlds is over.

#30 FredhoT

FredhoT

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:06 PM

Hello.

Decklists are being compiled at the moment by Loïc in DeckBuilder. As soon as he has finished the work (it may tale a few more days, hey, after all, 24 decklists!) I'll post all of them  except the ones that players have explicitely asked not to do so before the Worlds. Mmmh, only 10 days left to wait…  ;-)

Please no flame war on the "no scouting or deck secrecy" topic here! We promise to post all decks after the Worlds. So the info will be shared among the whole community.

But after all, the Allies did not send their D-Day plan to the Axis before it started. 

I'll post a more formal report later on, but I've a lot of home improvement works to do during this All-Saints "long" WE, so I don't know yet when I'll find the time to write it.

#31 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:43 AM

Thanks for the update, that's great news!

At least in my opinion, it's perfectly valid to keep the decks secret until after the final round of competition (which is what Worlds is for some players) so as not to tip off your opponents.

#32 COCLCG

COCLCG

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:33 AM

if at all possible ( please ), i'd be interested to see the match ups as well, to figure who got an easy ride to the final 8 and who had to fight tooth and nail against counter decks to their own. from what i read i got the impression that a player only faces 4 of the 23 decks in the preliminaries, which is the inherent problem with larger tournaments i suppose.

#33 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

COCLCG said:

if at all possible ( please ), i'd be interested to see the match ups as well

If you don't mind the French you can already find several reports over at the Cénacle including match-ups:

cenacle-hd.bb-fr.com/t2440p30-championnat-europeen-coc-lcg-27-10-2012-irv-liege

I use Google-Translate to read the site which usually works well enough to get the gist of what's going on

#34 FredhoT

FredhoT

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

COCLCG said:

if at all possible ( please ), i'd be interested to see the match ups as well, to figure who got an easy ride to the final 8 and who had to fight tooth and nail against counter decks to their own. from what i read i got the impression that a player only faces 4 of the 23 decks in the preliminaries, which is the inherent problem with larger tournaments i suppose.

What's the difference with smaller tournament if you still play 4 preliminary rounds?You still only face 4 of the x decks presents… and in the smaller tournament you have less chances to face very special combo decks, because you have less people. I mean 23 opponents mean more different meta-games than if there are 8 opponents. So IMHO it's more difficult with more opponent because you have more chances to fight against the decks which counters yours!

But anyway, I see what I can do for you, I have the matches history (not the number of stories won, just the winner and the loser for each match), it's in text format, I can try to post it here (let me just format it correctly).

#35 FredhoT

FredhoT

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

NB: 3 means Win , 0 means Lose (this is not the number of stories won by each players!)

--- ROUND 1
Max 3
Bryan 0
-
Jonathan 0
Vincent 3
-
Roberto 0
Damien 3
-
Fred 0
Christian K. 3
-
Wolfgang 3
Francesco 0
-
Paul 3
Raymond 0
-
Supa 3
Florentin 0
-
Michael 0
Mzi 3
-
Arnaud 3
Graham 0
-
Minas 3
Christian G. 0
-
Gilles 3
Stéphane 0
-
Olivier 3
Kris 0
-

--- ROUND 2
Damien 3
Arnaud 0
-
Vincent 0
Wolfgang 3
-
Minas 3
Gilles 0
-
Christian K. 0
Max 3
-
Mzi 3
Olivier 0
-
Supa 0
Paul 3
-
Roberto 3
Kris 0
-
Christian G. 0
Fred 3
-
Jonathan 3
Michael 0
-
Graham 3
Stéphane 0
-
Florentin 0
Raymond 3
-
Bryan 0
Francesco 3
-

--- ROUND 3
Damien 3
Max 0
-
Minas 3
Wolfgang 0
-
Mzi 3
Paul 0
-
Roberto 3
Fred 0
-
Vincent 3
Olivier 0
-
Jonathan 0
Arnaud 3
-
Graham 3
Gilles 0
-
Christian K. 3
Raymond 0
-
Supa 0
Francesco 3
-
Christian G. 0
Stéphane 3
-
Florentin 0
Michael 3
-
Bryan 0
Kris 3
-

--- ROUND 4
Damien 3
Minas 0
-
Mzi 3
Roberto 0
-
Vincent 3
Arnaud 0
-
Graham 0
Wolfgang 3
-
Christian K. 0
Paul 3
-
Max 3
Francesco 0
-
Jonathan 0
Olivier 3
-
Supa 0
Michael 3
-
Stéphane 3
Fred 0
-
Gilles 3
Kris 0
-
Raymond 0
Christian G. 3
-
Florentin 0
Bryan 3
-

---1/4 F
Damien 3
Roberto 0
-
Max 3
Wolfgang 0
-
Minas 3
Vincent 0
-
Paul 0
Mzi 3
-

--- 1/2 F
Damien 3
Max 0
-
Minas 3
Mzi 0
-

--- FINALE
Damien 3
Minas 0

#36 COCLCG

COCLCG

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

FredhoT said:

What's the difference with smaller tournament if you still play 4 preliminary rounds?You still only face 4 of the x decks presents… and in the smaller tournament you have less chances to face very special combo decks, because you have less people. I mean 23 opponents mean more different meta-games than if there are 8 opponents. So IMHO it's more difficult with more opponent because you have more chances to fight against the decks which counters yours!

hee hee hee. thats pretty funny coming from a tournament that included 5 or 6 logan / necronomicon combo decks ( from what i hear ). i am being humerous just to note. i wouldnt worry too much about the deck posting issue either. if i, way down here with my very limited connections within the community, already know what decks came 1st and 2nd, then it's a fair chance others attending worlds might. i myself am SWORN TO SECRECY, but i can't vouch for anyone else. you've got a mole !! hahaha ( again with the humerous there ).

#37 Magnas

Magnas

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:04 AM

Any recommendations of where in Brussels I could play call of cthulhu? Any games stores do games nights there?

#38 FredhoT

FredhoT

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

Magnas said:

Any recommendations of where in Brussels I could play call of cthulhu? Any games stores do games nights there?

To my best knowledge, only Marcus, from l'Antre-Jeux, is a little bit involved in LCG activities

http://www.antre-jeux.be/ 

Otherwise, if you want to play, contact us in Liège, we play more often on thursday evening, but there are a few players playing on friday evening. We gather at the gameclub Objectif Jeux.

#39 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

B_P, the 2012 European Champion has posted his winning deck over at the Cenacle:

cenacle-hd.bb-fr.com/t2457-vainqueur-championnat-d-europe-2012

I assume, he's going to post an English version himself here as soon as he finds the time.

#40 B_P

B_P

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:20 AM

Here's my english version of my deck.

As I tried to explain in the french version, i was working months ago on a hastur ST agency bounce discard deck… based on the new nerfed/errated apeirophobia. I had no idea what I was playing 3 days before the tournament, so chose to play a polyvalent Chtulhu hastur deck with some obvious power cards in it.

This deck is not a combo deck or a one way tactic deck. It's just a counter meta deck, with some agressivity, some control, can rush but not a lot, some recursive effects. The meta this year in Europe was quite bothersome. I expected a combo deck, a stall deck glimpse, some rush destruction's deck, some hastur stygian eyes/infernal obsession, Marcus Jamburg for sure and maybe a leftover of the chtulhu yog destruction sacrifice decks of last year. Lots of differents types of deck. Last year, it was quite simple, yog Cthulhu sacrifice destruction was the choice of for pretty everyone. Some cthulhu Shubs for the few remaining people.

cthulhu:

3 x Deep One Assault
3 x Sacrificial Offering
3 x Naaginn
3 x Somnambulant Dreamer
3 x Dreamland Fanatic
2 x Deep One Rising
1 x The Terror of the Tides

hastur:

2 x Power Drain
3 x 70 Steps
3 x Cavern of flame
3 x Stygian Eye
2 x Infernal obsession
3 x Performance artist
1 x Long Dead Prince
2 x Victoria Glasser
2 x Crazed Arsonist

neutral:

3 x Ice Shaft
3 x Marcus Jamburg
2 x Descandant of Eibon

shubb:

3 x Snow Graves

50 cards.

My first though was the problem with the jumping characters like master of the myths, dreamland fanatics, stalking hound, dogs, cats, etc. Do I play them? Do I counter them with a flux stabilizer (and play miska….) or do I counter them with 70 steps?

70 steps was my choice.

Cats are not played a lot anymore and I can deal with dogs with somanbulant dreamer or the cavern of flame.

Then, some recursitvity with ice shaft jamburg, some lock with… snow graves and jamburg. Some investigation with descandant and Jamburg. too much desctruction? Nagginn and descandant can come back from the discard pile. Some power drains and performance artirsts for bothersome glimpse, shocking  transformation, or logan (for example) .

The main idea was to use as less as possible the cards in my hand and just use the P D and P A in critical moments. I decided to not put too much counters and anti support cards in the deck. It's meaningless to fight against an opponent jamburg with anti support event cards. Crazy Arsonists was the only way to counter (enough) in an economic way an other jamburg. I just tried to grab enough time to win stories.

My greatest fear was y golonak. My only way to deal with it was the cavern of flame. If i don't have it in play, i'm dead. I was lucky, didn't have any Y go in the main tournament.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS