Starting Deathwatch: Pitfalls?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 kjakan

kjakan

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:13 AM

Unnatural Characteristics do not seem to grant a bonus to tests themselves in DW, but rather provide bonus Degrees of Success. On reviewing my BX and DW books, I see this pretty much amounts to the same thing with regards to the Battle-Brothers:

* DW grants a number of extra Degrees of Success equal to the multiplier, e.g. +2 for an Unnatural Characteristic (x2)
* BX grants a number of extra Degrees of Success equal to half the bonus, e.g. +2 for an Unnatural Characteristic (+4)

I figure the BX mechanic is more… level.

-K

#22 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:46 AM

kjakan said:

Unnatural Characteristics do not seem to grant a bonus to tests themselves in DW, but rather provide bonus Degrees of Success.

Hmmm. They do in DH. I must review.

#23 DJSunhammer

DJSunhammer

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:43 AM

They don't provide a bonus in any system, per se. Rather, they used to negate one step of negative modifers on a test. So a -30 became -20. They also served as a stalemate breaker, similar to the way size does. That is if I'm remembering it correctly of course.

#24 Minnjitsu

Minnjitsu

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:33 AM

Naviward said:

As everyone else has said, the errata's weapon stats and righteous fury rules really work well (there is a reason these stats are now used in Black Crusade and Only War).

Using the shooting rules from Black Crusade and Only War is more personal preference (as comments here shows). I use them in my game, but there are arguments either way so I'd recommend only looking at them if you are also buying Black Crusade or Only War anyway.

Personally I'd go even further with Librarians and simply not allow them in the game. A Librarian with Smite and Compel and even just the damage a force weapon can put out quickly overpowers the other characters and makes most combats uninteresting. If you don't want to have to plan every fight carefully to neuter the Librarian, I'd just leave them out of the game.

I don't think disallowing Librarians isn't answer, I just give them a nerf.  You are right that Librarians are overpowered but the main reason they are is that they can push all day with powers and if they have the right talents they don't get to many downsides to doing so.  How I run Librarians is I take out Favored of the Warp and Sanctioned and each time they push they have to 1d5-1 corruption if they roll even or 1d5-1 insanity if they roll odd.  They should be allowed to push but if they do they have to accept the consequences.  Remember every 10 points of insanity is a test.

#25 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:31 AM

DJSunhammer said:

They don't provide a bonus in any system, per se. Rather, they used to negate one step of negative modifers on a test. So a -30 became -20. They also served as a stalemate breaker, similar to the way size does. That is if I'm remembering it correctly of course.

They reduced the level of difficulty by 1 per Unnatural step, which in most cases is the same as providing a +10 bonus.

#26 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

kjakan said:

Unnatural Characteristics do not seem to grant a bonus to tests themselves in DW, but rather provide bonus Degrees of Success.

I just looked it up. Indeed they do give a bonus (rather, reduce the difficulty).

Ergo, all Eldar get a +10 to Dodge, for instance.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS