GM Resources: Aliens of the Galaxy

• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#41 Manchu

Manchu

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:19 AM

OTOH, they have two stats at 1 and automatically take a disadvantage die on novel social interaction rolls.  I admit I did not factor in the silhouette before but surely these more universal drawbacks account for that rather narrow advantage.

In any case, I hope people will take these ideas and modify them to be usable in their own games.  Of my own contributions, I most like the Bad Batchers the best so far as they were the hardest to design.  I'd be interested if anybody has a critique regarding them.

#42 GM Chris

GM Chris

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:10 AM

Gallandro said:

You know I was just looking at my WEG books and it appears bellow was not part of the Ithorian "canon" until the D20 days, so it certainly should not start as a standard racial ability.. Needs to be so.ething you pay into.

Yancy

d20 was the first to include it, yeah.  And I think this was in direct response to Genndy Tartatofsky's Clone Wars cartoon, where we see an Ithorian Jedi doing it.

I think it's okay to make it a species ability, just a natural attack.

Treat it as a natural ranged attack with a max range of Close.  Deals 3 damage, Crit 4.  And any Ithorian using it suffers 2 Strain.

Host of The Order 66 Podcast:  http://www.d20radio.com

Find all the EotE Order 66 Episodes right here:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/Order66

#43 Gallandro

Gallandro

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

GM Chris said:

Gallandro said:

You know I was just looking at my WEG books and it appears bellow was not part of the Ithorian "canon" until the D20 days, so it certainly should not start as a standard racial ability.. Needs to be so.ething you pay into.

Yancy

d20 was the first to include it, yeah.  And I think this was in direct response to Genndy Tartatofsky's Clone Wars cartoon, where we see an Ithorian Jedi doing it.

I think it's okay to make it a species ability, just a natural attack.

Treat it as a natural ranged attack with a max range of Close.  Deals 3 damage, Crit 4.  And any Ithorian using it suffers 2 Strain.

I like that.

Yancy

#44 Cyril

Cyril

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:27 AM

Here's my take on the Gamorreans. 

Gamorrean

Often seen as bodyguards or thugs for crime lords, the Gamorrean is a fairly common sight on the outer rim. They use their powerful physique to wield intimidating weapons, making anyone think twice about doing anything foolish. Coming from a primitive society, they much prefer to go toe to toe with their opponents, but some of their employers will go so far as to try to teach them how to use firearms. 

Gamorreans stand between 1.7 and 1.8 meters tall and their thick skin if a green in color. This, combined with their porcine appearance and prominent lower tusks give them a decidedly unsavory look to most humanoids. Their squealing, grunting language and bad attitudes usually do little to help that thought. 

Species Abilities

Wound Threshold: 12+Brawn

Strain Threshold: 9+Willpower

Starting Experience: 90 points

Special Abilities: Gamorreans begin the game with one rank in Melee. They still may not train Melee above rank 2 during character creation. Gamorreans always have access to the Marauder talent tree, regardless of their starting career. This does not give them access to the Marauder's career skills (unless it is his chosen specialization), but it does count against the three specialization limit. 

Characteristic Rating

Brawn 3                Cunning 2

Presence 2          Agility 2

Intelligence 1       Willpower 2

#45 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:52 AM

Haven't seen these folks yet…

Zabraks

Species Abilities

Wound Threshold: 11+Brawn
Strain Threshold: 11+Willpower

Starting Experience: 100 points

Special Abilities: Zabraks begin the game with one rank in either Perception or Vigilance.  They still may not train that skill above rank 2 during character creation.

Characteristic Rating

Brawn 2
Cunning 2
Presence 2
Agility 2
Intelligence 2
Willpower 2

Zabraks have pretty much been described as "humans that are a bit tougher and a bit more perceptive," so I think the Human baseline for starting characteristics works well.  The increase in Wound & Strain Threshold fits the "tougher" part, and the skill choice handles the "perceptive."

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#46 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

sumqui said:

Squib
Squibs are a species from the world Skor II and are known for collecting trading and haggling. Growing to about a meter in height, they are covered in colorful fur that ranges from white, gray, black, brown, blue, violet, and red. The colorful fur of squib is also used to taste by rubbing objection on their fur.

Squibs are insatiably curious and obsessed with haggling and deal making. It is commonly said that the best way to get information from a squib is to propose a trade. Squibs have developed complex system of trade and barter and have established themselves as galactic scavengers that have rivaled the Ugors.

Many squibs have established themselves as forgers, thieves and even crime lords, but most still find work within the law. All squibs collect large stockpiles of what others would consider junk.

Wound Threshold: 9 + Brawn
Strain Threshold: 11 + Willpower
Special Abilities: Squibs begin the game with 1 rank in Negotiate or Streetwise.  This cannont be trained beyond rank 2 at character creation.
Starting XP: 100 xp
Characteristic Ratings:

Brawn       1     Cunning   2
Presence 3     Agility        2
Intellect     2    Willpower 2

Liking this write-up, though I'm inclined to give them a 3 in Cunning rather than Presence.

#47 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

Gallandro said:

Zeltrons

Special Ability:  Empathy:  Zeltrons can naturally read the surface emotions of a willing subject in the immediate vicinity, and can feel those emotions as if they were their own.  However if the subject is unwilling, roll an Opposed Check using the character's Perception (Cunning) versus the Discipline (Willpower) of the subject.

I'm inclined to think this could be simplified, as it seems a lot of what FFG is doing for species adheres to the K.I.S.S. principle.  Maybe to reflect that they can more easily sense the emotions of others and have their inherent pheromones, Zeltrons instead get a free boost die when making Charm and Deceit checks?  Potent, but I'd say that's worth losing 10 XP.

Other than that, nice job.

#48 Gallandro

Gallandro

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

Donovan Morningfire said:

sumqui said:

Squib
Squibs are a species from the world Skor II and are known for collecting trading and haggling. Growing to about a meter in height, they are covered in colorful fur that ranges from white, gray, black, brown, blue, violet, and red. The colorful fur of squib is also used to taste by rubbing objection on their fur.

Squibs are insatiably curious and obsessed with haggling and deal making. It is commonly said that the best way to get information from a squib is to propose a trade. Squibs have developed complex system of trade and barter and have established themselves as galactic scavengers that have rivaled the Ugors.

Many squibs have established themselves as forgers, thieves and even crime lords, but most still find work within the law. All squibs collect large stockpiles of what others would consider junk.

Wound Threshold: 9 + Brawn
Strain Threshold: 11 + Willpower
Special Abilities: Squibs begin the game with 1 rank in Negotiate or Streetwise.  This cannont be trained beyond rank 2 at character creation.
Starting XP: 100 xp
Characteristic Ratings:

Brawn       1     Cunning   2
Presence 3     Agility        2
Intellect     2    Willpower 2

Liking this write-up, though I'm inclined to give them a 3 in Cunning rather than Presence.

Yeah, but they're sneaky little bastards… (Sorry, esoteric 1941 reference).

Yancy

PS  BTW keep it up guys these are great!

#49 Cyril

Cyril

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

Here's everyone's favorite space whales!

Though massive in size, the Herglic are truly the gentle giants of the galaxy. Gregarious and honest to a fault, they ply the space lanes as traders, making them common sites all over the galaxy. Usually the first to offer help to someone that needs it, the Herglic do not like to be taken advantage of and will go to great lengths to get justice when they are wronged, something that more than one con men has learned the hard way, as the Herglic's natural size makes them ferocious fighters, and sturdy combatants. 

The Herglic are natural risk-takers. Unfortunately for them, this attitude to seek constantly seek the next thrill can become addictive, especially concerning gambling and other games of chance. They start and can't stop until they've lost everything. 

Species Abilities

Wound Threshold: 14+Brawn

Strain Threshold: 9+Willpower

Starting Experience: 90 XP

Special Ability: Herglic begin the game with one rank in Charm. They still may not train Charm above rank 2 during character creation. 

Characteristic Rating

Brawn 3                  Cunning 2

Presence 2            Agility 1

Intellect 2                Willpower 1

#50 Gallandro

Gallandro

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:32 AM

Gallandro said:

Zeltrons

Special Ability:  Empathy:  Zeltrons can naturally read the surface emotions of a willing subject in the immediate vicinity, and can feel those emotions as if they were their own.  However if the subject is unwilling, roll an Opposed Check using the character's Perception (Cunning) versus the Discipline (Willpower) of the subject.

I'm inclined to think this could be simplified, as it seems a lot of what FFG is doing for species adheres to the K.I.S.S. principle.  Maybe to reflect that they can more easily sense the emotions of others and have their inherent pheromones, Zeltrons instead get a free boost die when making Charm and Deceit checks?  Potent, but I'd say that's worth losing 10 XP.

Other than that, nice job.

You know what, that's a great idea.  I'm going to make an adjustment.  Great suggestion.

Yancy

#51 Gallandro

Gallandro

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:41 AM

Zeltrons (Revised)

Zeltrons are a near-human species whose skin color ranges from deep reds, to purples and browns.  They are considered by most humans to be among the most beautiful beings in the galaxy, a fact which is accentuated by a natural pheromone they release which enhances their attractiveness to other races. Additionally they are highly empathic and can often read or even feel the emotions of those around them.  Because of this ability Zeltrons tend to focus on feelings that make them happy or feel pleasure and shy away from strong negative emotions.

Throughout the galaxy Zeltrons have a reputation of being hedonists who are only interested in material wealth or physical pleasures… this is largely true. Zeltrons are thrill seekers and can often be found at the nearest gambling establishment, or involved in some outrageous escapade which gives them a rush.  Although they are somewhat gullible they are extremely charming and more than make up for any intellectual shortcomings with their intense magnetism and sexual chemistry.  Zeltrons have always been known for their intense passion and this frequently spills over on the battlefield as easily as the bedroom.

Species Abilities

Wound Threshold:  10 + Brawn

Strain Threshold: 10 + Willpower

Starting Experience: 90 XP

Special Ability:  Empathy:  Zeltrons can naturally read the surface emotions of subjects in the immediate vicinity, and are often at an advantage when dealing with others in social settings.  Zeltrons receive a boost die to all Charm and Deceit rolls.

Characteristic Ratings:

Brawn: 2                 Cunning: 2

Presence: 3           Agility: 2

Intellect: 2               Willpower: 1

#52 Stacie_GmrGrl

Stacie_GmrGrl

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:52 PM

i'm thinking we will soon need a fan made Star Wars database website for this rpg. all these are great. :)

#53 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:42 PM

Haven't seen these folks yet…

Zabraks

Species Abilities

Wound Threshold: 11+Brawn
Strain Threshold: 11+Willpower

Starting Experience: 100 points

Special Abilities: Zabraks begin the game with one rank in either Perception or Vigilance.  They still may not train that skill above rank 2 during character creation.

Characteristic Rating

Brawn 2
Cunning 2
Presence 2
Agility 2
Intelligence 2
Willpower 2

Zabraks have pretty much been described as "humans that are a bit tougher and a bit more perceptive," so I think the Human baseline for starting characteristics works well.  The increase in Wound & Strain Threshold fits the "tougher" part, and the skill choice handles the "perceptive."

Nice. I like it.

Nice to see you here Donovan. I remember using some of your house rule stuff from d20, you posted it on the swrpgnetwork forum. Good to see some old familiar faces.

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#54 Profgoldfinch

Profgoldfinch

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:31 AM

I stat'd up Zabraks for a player last night and came up with EXACTLY the same racial write-up as you. Glad to know a lot of folks are on the same page.

I also stat'd up Togruta for a player. Basically took stuff from Saga stats did my best.

Togruta

Species Abilities

Wound Threshold: 10 + Brawn

Strain Threshold: 10 + Willpower

Starting Experience: 100 XP

Special Abilities: Togruta begin the game with one rank in either Survival or Stealth. They still may not train that skill above rank 2 during character creation.

Echolocation: A Togruta may remove up to one setback die due to darkness.

Characteristic Ratings:

Brawn: 1 Cunning: 2

Presence: 2 Agility: 3

Intellect: 2 Willpower: 2

It might be justified to reduce their starting XP to 90 due to Echolocation, but I stayed with 100 since I'd rather make it a little overpowered as opposed to underpowered.

#55 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:30 AM

I'd say theTogruta stats look good.

Given how infrequent darkness shows up, I'd say being able to negate a single setback die falls into "situationally useful" and thus warrants them getting the full 100 XP.

#56 Cyril

Cyril

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:16 AM

I'd say theTogruta stats look good.

Given how infrequent darkness shows up, I'd say being able to negate a single setback die falls into "situationally useful" and thus warrants them getting the full 100 XP.

I have to say I agree. Unless you're setting your entire campaign on Sullust… Speaking of which.

Sullustans

Friendly and outgoing, the Sullustans have long been a strong force in the fields of technology and mercantilism within the galaxy, helping to give rise to SoroSuub Technologies. While they are shrewd businessmen, they are also noted explorers and scouts, very eager to experience new things and see new places, an attitude that makes some species consider them rash and reckless. 

Sullustans stand shorter than humans, running the gambit between 1 and 1.8 meters tall. Their large ears provide them with exceptional hearing and their eyes enable them to see perfectly well in low-light and no-light scenarios. Their skin tone varies, but are usually on the lighter end of the spectrum, such as gray, pink, or light green. 

Species Abilities

Wound Threshold:10+Brawn

Strain Threshold: 10+Willpower

Special Abilities: Sullustans begin the game with one rank in Perception. They still may not train Perception above rank 2 during character creation. 

Darkvision: Sullustans live in a network of underground caverns and have developed the ability to see in the dark. As such, they never suffer any setback dice due to darkness. 

Starting Characteristics

Brawn 1                                Cunning 2

Presence 2                          Agility 3

Intellect 2                              Willpower 2

#57 Gallandro

Gallandro

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:51 AM

Fantastic write ups guys! I'll probably offer a couple of these up for the campaign I will be starting soon.

Yancy

#58 Cyril

Cyril

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

They haven't been discovered yet in the timeframe of the game, but I want some dang Ewoks!

Ewoks

Small, primitive, and easily underestimated, the Ewoks are native to the forest moon of Endor. Their small stature and cuddly looks belie their natural ferocity and cunning, which more than makes up for what they lack. They are great hunters and excellent trackers, and their sense of smell is very keen.

Ewoks only stand about 1 meter tall when fully grown and weigh about 50 kilograms. Their skin is brown, but they are covered in fur that helps them blend into their natural surroundings. It runs the gambit of earth colored tones. Some are striped or have other distinguishing marks while others are solidly colored.

Species Abilities

Wound Threshold: 9+Brawn
Special Abilities: Ewoks begin the game with one rank in either Stealth or Survival. They still may not train Stealth or Survival above rank 2 during character creation.
Scent: Ewoks add one boost die to any Survival check made to track a target by smell.
Silhouette: Ewoks are much smaller than humans. They effectively have Silhouette 0.

Characteristic Rating

Brawn 1                        Cunning 3

Presence 2                  Agility 2

Intellect 2                     Willpower 2

Ewok Bow and Arrow

While primitive to the blaster or even the slugthrower, this weapon affords a silent option for sport hunters or those that require Stealth. While they are a ranged weapon, bows, the stronger the pull, the more damage they can do, and as such, they add their wielders Brawn to the damage roll.

Skill: Ranged (Light)
Damage: 3
Crit: 4
Range: Medium
Encumbrance: 3
HP: 0
Price: 250 credits
Rarity: 4
Special: Pierce 1

#59 GM Chris

GM Chris

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:32 AM

Cyril said:

They haven't been discovered yet in the timeframe of the game, but I want some dang Ewoks!

Ewoks

Small, primitive, and easily underestimated, the Ewoks are native to the forest moon of Endor. Their small stature and cuddly looks belie their natural ferocity and cunning, which more than makes up for what they lack. They are great hunters and excellent trackers, and their sense of smell is very keen.

Ewoks only stand about 1 meter tall when fully grown and weigh about 50 kilograms. Their skin is brown, but they are covered in fur that helps them blend into their natural surroundings. It runs the gambit of earth colored tones. Some are striped or have other distinguishing marks while others are solidly colored.

Species Abilities

Wound Threshold: 9+Brawn
Special Abilities: Ewoks begin the game with one rank in either Stealth or Survival. They still may not train Stealth or Survival above rank 2 during character creation.
Scent: Ewoks add one boost die to any Survival check made to track a target by smell.
Silhouette: Ewoks are much smaller than humans. They effectively have Silhouette 0.

Characteristic Rating

Brawn 1                        Cunning 3

Presence 2                  Agility 2

Intellect 2                     Willpower 2

Ewok Bow and Arrow

While primitive to the blaster or even the slugthrower, this weapon affords a silent option for sport hunters or those that require Stealth. While they are a ranged weapon, bows, the stronger the pull, the more damage they can do, and as such, they add their wielders Brawn to the damage roll.

Skill: Ranged (Light)
Damage: 3
Crit: 4
Range: Medium
Encumbrance: 3
HP: 0
Price: 250 credits
Rarity: 4
Special: Pierce 1

Nice.  But what about the Primitive Aspect?

This is going to be hard to model - since "primitive" ranged weapons are covered under Ranged (Light).

Hmm….

Host of The Order 66 Podcast:  http://www.d20radio.com

Find all the EotE Order 66 Episodes right here:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/Order66

#60 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:14 AM

GM Chris said:

Nice.  But what about the Primitive Aspect?

This is going to be hard to model - since "primitive" ranged weapons are covered under Ranged (Light).

Hmm….

Maybe just a bit where Ewoks suffer a black die when using anything more advanced than primitive weaponry?  With the caveat that it can be bought off by paying 5 XP, either during or after character creation?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS