164 replies to this topic

#161 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

LethalDose said:

… Jeg …

[digression]It's kind fun that you call me that, as it translates to "I" or "me" … never really thought anyone would shorten it that much, it used to be shortened to Jeger … hehe.[/digression]

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#162 Stuntie

Stuntie

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:27 AM

One thing I find comparing the WFRP and EotE dice is one of legibility of the roll.

The WFRP dice symbols are very diferent from each other and some have obvious relevence - e.g. skulls and clashing swords for failures and banes (disadvantages), the warhammer for success etc. Even the triumph and Despair symbols are meaningful in the lore sense - Sigmars  comet and the Chaos star.

The Star wars ones though are both more obscure and largley the same in style - a circular-ish design with a largely hollow centre.
Far too many alike - success, advantage, triumph and despair are all too similar. The designs should be distinguishable at a glance even without reference to the colour of the dice. Very poor visual design.

Also they are far too abstract - a triangle - good or bad? An explosion - that me blowing up? or me hitting them?
They don't really scream 'good' or 'bad' at all.
Rolling some skulls and warhammers gives you an immediate sense that warhammers are probably good in a game called warhammer, whereas skulls are probably not good whatever the game is called. Rolling a bunch of triangles and explosions leaves me wondering 'is that good or bad…? and why?'.

Success is shown by what? Some kind of explosion?
No idea what advantage is supposed to be. Not one of the main rebel symbols.
Threat is what? A tie figher cockpit?
Failure - ok that one is distinct distinct, but is what? A thorn?
Triumph - the jedi symbol. Fine, but is a slightly obscure symbol for all but the hard core.

They should have been more varied, and also more Star Wars in symbolism.
Why not things like the main Rebel and imperial symbols.
A Death Star for Despair
Plus other well known and instantly distinguishable icons for the others?
Tie fighter, Millenium Falcon, Lightsaber, stormtrooper helm - whatever, the list is almost endless.

#163 Venthrac

Venthrac

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

I just assumed the symbols we have were chosen because they are era-agnostic, whereas the Rebel and Imperial symbols only fit in the GCW era. I don't know that and I won't argue to support the point. It was just an assumption I made.

#164 aramis

aramis

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:43 AM

Venthrac said:

I just assumed the symbols we have were chosen because they are era-agnostic, whereas the Rebel and Imperial symbols only fit in the GCW era. I don't know that and I won't argue to support the point. It was just an assumption I made.

The stars would be far easier to discern if they were solid rather than hollow.

Ideally, one could recolor the symbols with a paint pen, making successes a different color than the advantages… and that would help with the readability.

I do find the iconography less thematic than WFRP3's - almost generic - and while that's not bad, in the long run, it's not really Good, either.

I do like that "good dice" don't have bad effects, and vice versa, quite unlike WFRP3.

#165 BradPlogsted

BradPlogsted

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

beeblebrox said:

I'd agree with Donovan. I feel like any situation that would warrant a Setback dice or a Challenge dice would be too dramatic or tense for a "Take 10". Simply having an "unmodified" difficulty along with more positive than negative dice would be enough.

Yeah, that makes sense, and makes the rule even simpler. Essentially:

At GM discretion, any check made when the active character is not in a stressful situation (such as having challenge or setback dice contribute to the dice pool), can automatically gain 1 success per proficiency die in excess of difficulty dice and one advantage per boost die in the dice pool.

I like it. Simple, elegant and covers the situation nicely.

Even easier would be, "if the situation is calm and there's nothing to lose (not combat, not a social chill check), ignore Threat symbols."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS