Ion effect?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:32 AM

Rule #1 in all things Lucasfilm: Cool always beats Physics.  Any attempt to explain the tech in Star Wars is after the fact attempts to try and explain what the film makers thought looked spiffy. 

Lucas: I want swords made out of lasers!  And we could have them be able to deflect laser beams!  So cool!

Science Dude: How the heck would that work?

Lucas: Who cares.  It's going to be freaking awesome!

-DavicusPrime

#22 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 973 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:02 AM

DavicusPrime said:

Rule #1 in all things Lucasfilm: Cool always beats Physics.  Any attempt to explain the tech in Star Wars is after the fact attempts to try and explain what the film makers thought looked spiffy. 

Lucas: I want swords made out of lasers!  And we could have them be able to deflect laser beams!  So cool!

Science Dude: How the heck would that work?

Lucas: Who cares.  It's going to be freaking awesome!

-DavicusPrime

LOL! I think you nailed it, there. I don't mind at all that the science flops because Lucas is right: it's freaking awesome!

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#23 GunslingerSix

GunslingerSix

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:07 PM

Don't forget that the X-Wings are atmospheric fighters as well, so having wings is advantageous. 

So, basically the ION Effect occurs regardless of shileds, but the shields do prevent the hull damage?

#24 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

GunslingerSix said:

Don't forget that the X-Wings are atmospheric fighters as well, so having wings is advantageous. 

So, basically the ION Effect occurs regardless of shileds, but the shields do prevent the hull damage?

Ion Cannon Damage: It says you inflict one damage, and you always take shields down first, so I'm going with yes.

And TIE's are supposed to be atmospheric too.  Something tells me they don't turn right or left very well.  Plus even X-wing wings lack the required airfoil shape to provide lift.  Lucasfilm 2, Physics 0.

-DavicusPrime

#25 haslo

haslo

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:10 PM

DavicusPrime said:

Lucasfilm 2, Physics 0.

Take that, physics!

Imperials: 13 TIE Fighter, 5 TIE Advanced, 15 TIE Interceptor, 4 Slave I, 6 TIE Bomber, 5 Lambda Shuttle, 3 TIE Defender, 4 TIE Phantom

Rebels: 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 7 X-Wing, 5 Y-Wing, 4 YT-1300, 6 A-Wing, 5 B-Wing, 5 HWK-290, 6 Z-95, 3 E-Wing

#26 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:02 AM

GunslingerSix said:

That is correct.  The craft hit by an ion cannon suffers exactly one damage regardless of the number of hits.  There is nothing special about that damage, it works just like any other damage - depleting shields if present before damaging the hull.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS