Hand of Fate - the boat has arrived!

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#21 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:10 PM

i really like what ive seen in this book. the alpha legion csm is a welcome archetype in my group and is very nicely done imo. sorry for not capitalising its my smartphone…

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#22 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

Can someone throw us a list of new baddies in this?

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#23 Volkomor

Volkomor

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:11 AM

There's something I don't quite understand. Reading the TSS preview, I couldn't find anything about needing previous XP to pick it up, so I'm already playing with it since the beginning of the game I'm in, exchanging the stuff I had with the normal Sorcerer for the specialty. Reading what you've wrote here, I'd need some quite XP to enter the specialty. Is that so? And the lot of repeating stuff, you just retake the same ones without getting any better?

Another point: If it is the case, it's quite un-canon-y for TSS. ALL of them became what the preview is showing a long time ago. There's no point leveling as a normal Sorcerer and, after some time, *PUFF* you're now a Sorcerer of the most prestigious psyker-ly Legion of all! Am I confused or it's exactly like that?

#24 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:26 AM

Volkomor said:

There's something I don't quite understand. Reading the TSS preview, I couldn't find anything about needing previous XP to pick it up, so I'm already playing with it since the beginning of the game I'm in, exchanging the stuff I had with the normal Sorcerer for the specialty. Reading what you've wrote here, I'd need some quite XP to enter the specialty. Is that so? And the lot of repeating stuff, you just retake the same ones without getting any better?

Another point: If it is the case, it's quite un-canon-y for TSS. ALL of them became what the preview is showing a long time ago. There's no point leveling as a normal Sorcerer and, after some time, *PUFF* you're now a Sorcerer of the most prestigious psyker-ly Legion of all! Am I confused or it's exactly like that?

I believe the way it works is "if the party is at the xp level, then a starting TSS is appropriate."

Basically, it's more powerful than the other starting archetypes. The rest of the party needs extra xp to be equal, so you either start playing one later in the campaign, or give everyone else extra starting experience.

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#25 Seeten

Seeten

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:05 AM

As a GM, I might allow a starting XP Debt, also, that you'd pay off in game by not getting XP until you have the amount TSS costs. (Assuming the other players didnt object)

#26 Volkomor

Volkomor

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:55 AM

Plushy said:

I believe the way it works is "if the party is at the xp level, then a starting TSS is appropriate."

Basically, it's more powerful than the other starting archetypes. The rest of the party needs extra xp to be equal, so you either start playing one later in the campaign, or give everyone else extra starting experience.

Seeten said:

As a GM, I might allow a starting XP Debt, also, that you'd pay off in game by not getting XP until you have the amount TSS costs. (Assuming the other players didnt object)

Such ideias sound quite like what D&D did for templates in 3.5. I see it's stronger; our group made some advancements for everyone else to be fair - human players using RT nemesis path and CSM using stuff from DW or totally homebrew (we got an 'illuminated' Fire Warrior, a khorne berserker and a iron warrior champion of slaanesh). The GM kinda liked that idea and we're carrying on.

I think FFG should put quite clear if the advanced specializations need more XP somewhere visible (maybe a black box) in their section :)

#27 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:05 AM

XP debt, hey?

I like that concept.

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#28 Larkin

Larkin

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:26 AM

Volkomor said:

Plushy said:

Seeten said:

Such ideias sound quite like what D&D did for templates in 3.5. I see it's stronger; our group made some advancements for everyone else to be fair - human players using RT nemesis path and CSM using stuff from DW or totally homebrew (we got an 'illuminated' Fire Warrior, a khorne berserker and a iron warrior champion of slaanesh). The GM kinda liked that idea and we're carrying on.

I think FFG should put quite clear if the advanced specializations need more XP somewhere visible (maybe a black box) in their section :)

It's on the first page of the chapter that introduces the Achetypes.

#29 Asoral

Asoral

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:31 AM

It's also very fitting for a TSS to be bubbling inside while everyone else is cruising full speed on the motorway while he needs to bade his time until the stars are right for him to show the meaning of TRUE power to all the sniveling weaklings he is force to put up with… One day, he will use all the information he has gathered on his erstwhile companions while they still think him weak and stagnant…

*Krhmph* It seems I got a bit carried away :P

Can't wait to get my hands on this book! Anticipating all the nasty and cool things I can inflict on my players once the powers of Tzeentch have been bestowed upon me!

#30 Nimas

Nimas

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:58 AM

I don't suppose anyone knows when we can expect the PDF version? I mean, it's likely that there will be a scanned PDF version up fairly soon, but I'd much rather pay for a proper copy from FFG

#31 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:47 PM

I've looked over the Necron stats in Tome of Fate, and damn… The Necron Artefact weapons are insanely powerful. A single hit from a warscythe is going to end almost any PC that doesn't have a field. I hope PCs never have to encounter upper-tier Necrons as they appear to be an easy way to orchestrate a TPK.

#32 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

• Members
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:54 PM

Wouldn't that be up to the GM?

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#33 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

H.B.M.C. said:

Wouldn't that be up to the GM?

BYE

Yes and no. In a sandbox style game the PCs can go looking for this kind of trouble - possibly without realizing just how bad it will be. A Necron Lord is likely going to hand a half dozen CSMs their asses so fast they won't even know what happened.

#34 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

• Members
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

I dunno. My group's fought a Necron Overlord (in Deathwatch) and it didn't go so well for the Lord.

BYE

#35 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

H.B.M.C. said:

I dunno. My group's fought a Necron Overlord (in Deathwatch) and it didn't go so well for the Lord.

BYE

Deathwatch characters are considerably more powerful. They have Squad Mode abilities - that's a biggie - but even some of the Solo Mode abilities far outstrip what the archetypes of BC offer. Deathwatch's Unnatural Toughness is stronger if Toughness > 49, and for experienced marines, this is pretty common. Also, all Deathwatch characters have True Grit which is pretty powerful.

#36 Seeten

Seeten

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:38 AM

You know what Deathwatch guys don't have that Black Crusade does? Bolt of Change.

Lash of Submission!

#37 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

• Members
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

I guess my point is that I've yet to see the Necrons be a real challenge (other than the Warscythe - that thing is dangerous!).

Anyway, my copy arrived. Nice to finally have the book in my hands. The Crown of Prospero looks exactly as I imagined it, and for the record I did the armoury, new rituals, the first two of the advanced minions, and the investigations section. And apparently they had the next book (or the cover at least), called Tome of Blood, sitting in a case at Gen-Con, so that's exciting!

BYE

#38 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

Tome of Blood, eh? So Khorne is next then. Awesome. I can't wait for a World Eater Berserker (or just a generalized Khorne Berserker) archeytype. I hope there's room for an Iron Hands Warsmith* in there too.

* Iron Hands are not dedicated to Khorne, but then neither are the Alpha Legion dedicated to Tzeentch and we got them in Tome of Fate, so I can be hopeful.

#39 ddunkelmeister

ddunkelmeister

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

Alpha Legion marines were a welcome surprise. The decision to lump them in as unwitting Tzeentchites was….interesting. Also, inferno bolts are insane, as are Rubric Marines by extension. The book allows 1K Son Sorcerers to take them as regular minions; something I would probably change in my game.

On a side note, it will be interesting to see if any of the new powers will appear in the upcoming CSM codex. Daemonhunter indicated that FFG appears to have at least some advance notice of GW products.

#40 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

• Members
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:24 PM

Thematically speaking Alpha Legion make the most sense for this book. They're not Tzeentchian in any way, shape or form, but they are schemers and plotters, so it works. Inferno Bolts are kinda nuts, but I like 'em.

BYE

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS