Photo

Interaction between Misses, Using surges, and "Shadow" ability.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Varikas

Varikas

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:14 AM

I understand your point of view, but it seems so absurd to atack someone, cant hurt him but stun, or move 1 space…I dont think that I will play like that…at least until a formal response.  (in that post there are most people that think the OL in the first question have reason so…)

In any case thanks for answer, I hope more people could answer the question about 2 dragons with shadow…

#22 AnimalKDR

AnimalKDR

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:42 AM

like I said, descent isn't a game that makes logical sense :)

My opinions are based off of rulings in 1e where they clarified the difference between an "x" and any other kind of miss.  I'm really interested to hear what the ruling for 2e is.

As far as the shadow dragon, I'd have to see the actual wording on the card.  If the only prerequisite is to be adjacent, then I'd say both affect the hero

#23 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

Triu said:

Check that thread again.  As I understand it "X" and "miss" are not the same.  Hopefully the next FAQ will make it clearer.

This does indeed appear to be the case, per RAW.  I also agree that I would like this to be clarified in the FAQ, because a number of the answers Adam has supposedly provided in that BGG thread are potentially contradictory depending on how it susses out.

< house rules >

In my personal opinion, the definition of "miss" should be "this attack ends with no effect and all further results on the dice are ignored."  I would also say that rolling an X and missing due to range are both "misses" along with any ability that makes an attack "miss." 

The Shadow Dragon ability would be better worded something along the lines of "Any attack that targets this figure is treated as having one fewer Surge.  If it has no Surges, the attack is a miss."

An attack that fails to deal damage is not a miss, but the rule about needing to deal at least one point of damage to apply a condition must still be observed.

Of course, none of this is what the rules actually say.  It's entirely house rules territory.

< /house rules >

Edit: Looks like HTML escaping fails too.  Oh well.

#24 Robin

Robin

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:03 AM

I also would like to see some clarifications about the "miss" and "surge" issues.

I apply things the following way:

- If the combat die is an "X", it is an absolute miss : no attack effect or surges may be applied (EXC Tahra can choose to reroll the blue die as per her hero special ability)

- When making a ranged attack, range must be rolled to apply any other attack effect or surges (EXC: Range augmenting surges can of course be spent)

- When making an attack, even if no damage is scored (e.g. due to good defense die roll), surge and other attack effects can apply (if the attack is not an "X" miss or an "unsufficient range" miss).
Of course, some effects are explicitly linked to damage caused : those would not apply if no damage is caused.

Do you think I got things right?

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.
G. K. Chesterton

#25 Varikas

Varikas

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:14 AM

and what about shadow?

I am agree with you but I admit players to spend surges to get fatigue if no range or in a miss like shadow…I hope Adam put some light here…xD

#26 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:14 AM

Varikas said:

and what about shadow?

I am agree with you but I admit players to spend surges to get fatigue if no range or in a miss like shadow…I hope Adam put some light here…xD

That should be correct, per RAW.  Keep in mind that the ability to spend a Surge on gaining fatigue, like any other surge ability, can only be done once per attack, though.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS