Jump to content



Photo

From the core rules…future LARGE units!


  • Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#101 tiepilot1138

tiepilot1138

    Member

  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:15 AM

Hrathen said:

 I bought some (okay lots) of X-wing at Gencon and I even played in the tournament.  From that perspective I really wonder what upgrades will the yt-1300 have.  I can imagine a turret or two slot and a concusion missile slot, maybe even a expert pilot slot.  It might even have an upgrade slot we haven't seen yet.

If it has a turret slot, does that mean it can be equiped with a ion-cannon, or do you think it will be a differnt kind of turret slot like how proton torpedoes use a different kind of slot from concussion missiles.

What good would haveing two turret slots give you.  As the rules stand right now, it you use a secondary weapon you can't use your primary weapon.  I don't know remember if it expressly forbids the use of two secondary weapons.

I guess it sort of get back to the general ships vs specific ships for how this game works.  

I can see two possibilites for the Falcon.  One you take Han as the Pilot and then take the upgrades that you think it should have to be the falcon.  I imagine a falcon has maxed out its upgrades.  Don't take ion-cannons, not because the rules don't let you, but becasue the Falcon does't have them

The other possiblity is that if you take Han as the pilot then you get all sorts of cool special rules, representing the fact that you have the falcon, but it wouldn't have any (or at least only few) upgrade slots.  It wouldn't have a slot to represent Chewy, becasue you could put some one else inthat slot who was never the co-pilot of the falcon.  The Han pilot card would just have a special rule to represent Chewy.

 

I imagine when the medium ships come out there will special firing rules for them (especially if turrets are involved).  When they introduced large bombers to WoW they had multiple firing arcs and could use ALL of them at once.



#102 sverigesson

sverigesson

    Member

  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:27 AM

Hrathen said:

 I bought some (okay lots) of X-wing at Gencon and I even played in the tournament.  From that perspective I really wonder what upgrades will the yt-1300 have.  I can imagine a turret or two slot and a concusion missile slot, maybe even a expert pilot slot.  It might even have an upgrade slot we haven't seen yet.

If it has a turret slot, does that mean it can be equiped with a ion-cannon, or do you think it will be a differnt kind of turret slot like how proton torpedoes use a different kind of slot from concussion missiles.

What good would haveing two turret slots give you.  As the rules stand right now, it you use a secondary weapon you can't use your primary weapon.  I don't know remember if it expressly forbids the use of two secondary weapons.

I guess it sort of get back to the general ships vs specific ships for how this game works.  

I can see two possibilites for the Falcon.  One you take Han as the Pilot and then take the upgrades that you think it should have to be the falcon.  I imagine a falcon has maxed out its upgrades.  Don't take ion-cannons, not because the rules don't let you, but becasue the Falcon does't have them

The other possiblity is that if you take Han as the pilot then you get all sorts of cool special rules, representing the fact that you have the falcon, but it wouldn't have any (or at least only few) upgrade slots.  It wouldn't have a slot to represent Chewy, becasue you could put some one else inthat slot who was never the co-pilot of the falcon.  The Han pilot card would just have a special rule to represent Chewy.

Han has had another co-pilot besides Chewbacca, if only briefly. Nien Nunb himself for one, not to mention Leia (this, btw, is the perfect place to represent her, since she wasn't much of a pilot herself).



#103 Order 66

Order 66

    Member

  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:14 AM

Hrathen said:

bsmith13 said:

 

This discussion has me thinking…

It seems logical that we will see B-Wings and TIE Bombers at some point.  While the X-Wing, Y-Wing and TIE Advanced all have missiles of some kind, and though we saw the B-Wing and TIE Bomber get enmeshed in dogfights in the X-Wing Series of computer games, wouldn't it be logical to give them some kind of target, like a capital ship of some kind?

It may be that capital ships are too big for this game as miniatures, but maybe there will be some sort of map or massive counter that gives the heavy fighters something more than other fighters to shoot at…

 

 

I have been saying that capital class ships should be in this game, since this thread began.  As cool as star destroyers are they just don't engage in dog fighting.  However a Star Destroyer map, with objectives and such on would be totally cool.

A Star Destroyer wouldn't be a ship you could take but rather a mission that you could play.

awsome!

Completey agree with Hrathen, big iconic Star Wars ships have to appear, and the only way is with special maps. For example: Those wonderful

rebel transport ships seen on the return of the empire…



#104 Order 66

Order 66

    Member

  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:18 AM

 

I meant the Empire strikes back xD



#105 Manchu

Manchu

    Member

  • Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:41 AM

Order 66 said:

 

I meant the Empire strikes back xD

As long as you didn't mean Attack of The Phantom Sith.



#106 tiepilot1138

tiepilot1138

    Member

  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:49 AM

Order 66 said:

 

I meant the Empire strikes back xD

 

sounds like someone needs to go watch the movies again!  ;)



#107 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

    Member

  • Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:29 AM

Actually i just rewatched Jedi and the rebel fleet in the final battle did include a couple of those transport ships.

-DavicusPrime



#108 Order 66

Order 66

    Member

  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:03 AM

DavicusPrime said:

Actually i just rewatched Jedi and the rebel fleet in the final battle did include a couple of those transport ships.

-DavicusPrime

Yeah you're right, then I wasn't that mistaken  (but I still have to review those wonderful movies -IV V VI- and cry with the trashy ones -I II III-).



#109 herozeromes

herozeromes

    Member

  • Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:33 AM

Order 66 said:

 

 

Yeah you're right, then I wasn't that mistaken  (but I still have to review those wonderful movies -IV V VI- and cry with the trashy ones -I II III-).

 

 

I am going to write out my version of I, II, and III and change the setting and character names so as not to infringe on Star Wars. The funny thing is, the way I envisioned everything growing up (the Clone Wars, Jedi Training, Anakin's Piloting ability, etc) are SO different that I doubt it would be recognizable in comparison to the movies that Lucas ended up doing. The weirdest part is that he doesn't seem to have rewatched IV, V, and VI to make sure he got all his info right. There were soooooooo many things that Obi-Wan talked about and that Leia talked about that weren't even addressed, or at least were a huge stretch the way they were implemented. Leia was old enough to remember her mother. Anakin was ALREADY a great pilot when Obi-Wan met him, Yoda trained Obi-Wan as he trained Luke. So on and so forth.



#110 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

    Member

  • Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:12 AM

This is exactly why I really have to treat the prequels and Clone Wars as a completely separate story in the same universe or the lack of continuity absolutely pisses me off.  Lucas exterminated decades of Star Wars love in one fell swoop with Episode 1.  It's taken a long time to start enjoying the SW Universe again.  Focusing the latest games on the Original 3 is a great move on FFG's part.  X-wing is like plastic crack for me.  And the new RPG's that FFG is developing may bring me back into SW RPG's since WEG lost the license.

FFG wins by focusing on us 35+ year olds.  I was just barely old enough to see Star Wars in the theater, and we saw the rest of the trilogy the weekend they hit the theater.  I read all the novels through the 90's.  SW was a big part of my life from elementary school through my college years.  Going for my age group is tapping into a vast pool of nostalgia and, assuming you haven't been screwed by the crappy economy, we're established enough to have the cash to buy their lovely new toys.

But we've strayed from the original topic…  So large ships, not feasible?

-DavicusPrime






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS