From the core rules…future LARGE units!

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#41 haslo

haslo

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:03 AM

Anybody else wonder whether a Falcon (or YT-1300 for that matter) in this scale would be feasible at all, with the base and pegs and whatnot? It's three times as long as an X-Wing…

I guess it would require entirely different engineering? Having a larger base would mean it'd get a "bonus movement" every time it changes position, having a small one would mean it'd be prone to toppling over, and collisions with other ships would have to be handled somehow as well…

Imperials: 13 TIE Fighter, 5 TIE Advanced, 15 TIE Interceptor, 4 Slave I, 6 TIE Bomber, 5 Lambda Shuttle, 3 TIE Defender, 4 TIE Phantom

Rebels: 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 7 X-Wing, 5 Y-Wing, 4 YT-1300, 6 A-Wing, 5 B-Wing, 5 HWK-290, 6 Z-95, 3 E-Wing

#42 vadersson

vadersson

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:19 AM

I like the passanger (crew?) upgrade idea.  That could work too when we get 2-seater Y-wings.  (Clone wars at the least.)  I would want each character to be a seperate cards.  

I also fully expect that in order to sell the most of these possibily $100 ships they would make it look like the Falcon.  That way collectors as well as players will buy it.  If they included cards for a generic YT-1300, that would be just gravy.  

Thanks,

Duncan

Gold 109 (ret.)

Wesa need Gungans!

#43 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

• Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:04 AM

haslo said:

I guess it would require entirely different engineering? Having a larger base would mean it'd get a "bonus movement" every time it changes position, having a small one would mean it'd be prone to toppling over, and collisions with other ships would have to be handled somehow as well…

You could have an H shaped base, where the cross piece was the size of the current bases and the legs were angled out so that templates would fit.  The one that I would worry about is a Turn-1, but that easily left off the maneuver dial and makes sense for a ship of this size to not support that maneuver.

On the perspective of larger units.  I'm hoping now that while they'll be selling the expected product, they might have some protos of expansion ships at GenCon.

Welcome to the FFG Star Wars RPG Index 

#44 Nalydd

Nalydd

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:31 AM

The whole 'YT-1300 / Falcon' debate could be moot.  Show a picture of a YT-1300 freighter to pretty much anybody who has seen Star Wars and they'd identify it as the Falcon.  It's only the borderline hardcore or more knowledgeable of Star Wars fans that would say it's a YT-1300.

As for the Slave 1/ Firespray debacle, didn't Jango destroy all of the other Firespray prototypes therefore rendering Slave 1 the ONLY Firespray in existence?

Considering that  the Falcon and Slave 1 are, let's say, 'character' ships I speculate that the models for this game could be so called but cards for the generic bases for these craft would be included.

#45 tiepilot1138

tiepilot1138

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:49 AM

Nalydd said:

The whole 'YT-1300 / Falcon' debate could be moot.  Show a picture of a YT-1300 freighter to pretty much anybody who has seen Star Wars and they'd identify it as the Falcon.  It's only the borderline hardcore or more knowledgeable of Star Wars fans that would say it's a YT-1300.

As for the Slave 1/ Firespray debacle, didn't Jango destroy all of the other Firespray prototypes therefore rendering Slave 1 the ONLY Firespray in existence?

Considering that  the Falcon and Slave 1 are, let's say, 'character' ships I speculate that the models for this game could be so called but cards for the generic bases for these craft would be included.

Kuat revived the line around the Battle of Yavin.  (Why do I know all this stuff?!?)

#46 Nalydd

Nalydd

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

tiepilot1138 said:

Nalydd said:

Kuat revived the line around the Battle of Yavin.  (Why do I know all this stuff?!?)

(walking away from conversation muttering underbreath things about nerds, geeks and other such creatures) 

#47 ironman

ironman

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

Aahzmandius_Karrde said:

haslo said:

You could have an H shaped base, where the cross piece was the size of the current bases and the legs were angled out so that templates would fit.  The one that I would worry about is a Turn-1, but that easily left off the maneuver dial and makes sense for a ship of this size to not support that maneuver.

On the perspective of larger units.  I'm hoping now that while they'll be selling the expected product, they might have some protos of expansion ships at GenCon.

I agree an H shaped base would make it very possible

#48 herozeromes

herozeromes

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

It looks like the models of the Falcon and Slave I shown at GenCon just have larger, square bases.

#49 VaultDweller

VaultDweller

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

The lead designer for the expansion packs confirmed today that the Falcon and Slave 1 are MEDIUM size ships. So what's bigger than the Falcon? This statement and other parts of the interview have me leaning towards frigates at least. Assuming they release 4 ships at a time and we know what wave 2 looks like wave 3 must be TIE Bomber, B-Wing, Lambda Shuttle, and ???  Assuming we stay in the classic trilogy and EU period what's next? Mon-cal, Neb-B?

#50 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:00 PM

I saw them, A-wings and TIE interceptors look cool, but basically what we expected.  The Falcon, and Slave one look awsome.  They are really big.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#51 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:11 PM

VaultDweller said:

The lead designer for the expansion packs confirmed today that the Falcon and Slave 1 are MEDIUM size ships. So what's bigger than the Falcon? This statement and other parts of the interview have me leaning towards frigates at least. Assuming they release 4 ships at a time and we know what wave 2 looks like wave 3 must be TIE Bomber, B-Wing, Lambda Shuttle, and ???  Assuming we stay in the classic trilogy and EU period what's next? Mon-cal, Neb-B? 

The next thing that comes to mind for me is a Corellian Corvette. Now that the MF and SI are called "Medium", I wouldn't be surprised to see the Tantive IV enter play. But then, that leads you to need an Imperial Class Star Destroyer and that would be too huge! Wonder what they'll do.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#52 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

reeeallly think we're taking semantics too far and hoping for too much. I think "large" means "just bigger" and refers to MF & Slave-I and so on. Contrary to what an earlier poster said, the MF would be about twice the length of an X-Wing (up to 2 1/2 times, depending on source) and I figure it to be about a $35 item - not $100.

The FFG games fellows already stated in earlier media that a big part of the game was being totally anal about scale; therefore, I don't see "relative scale" becoming a part of the game. SO, if so, the biggest conceivable vessel would be like the "Wild Karrde," and I don't even see THAT as no one's going to pay like $60 for "what is that?"

I think they'll play out the OT and then move on. We MIGHT see the Outrider. Maybe. That's my reasonable guess; we'll see how it shakes out!

#53 Agrivar

Agrivar

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:59 PM

I was checking the size of the balloon mini that comes in the "Balloon Buster" Expansion for the "Wings of War" miniature game, and I think that a Rebel Transport (GR-75 Gallofree Yards Medium Transport) would be feasible. At 90 meters length, its size would be more manageable than that of the Corellian Corvette, and the Rebel Transport has a relatively high visibility in the movies (it appears both in the evacuation of Hoth and the Battle of Endor). Although I would see this ship more like a piece of scenography than a proper ship, remaining in the middle of the battlefield with the rest of ships flying around her. Something to deploy in special scenarios where the transport must survive for a given number of rounds before jumping to lightspeed.

#54 haslo

haslo

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:02 AM

A CR90 (Corvelian Corvette) would certainly work as well, and could be used in scenarios as well. So many possibilities :D

Imperials: 13 TIE Fighter, 5 TIE Advanced, 15 TIE Interceptor, 4 Slave I, 6 TIE Bomber, 5 Lambda Shuttle, 3 TIE Defender, 4 TIE Phantom

Rebels: 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 7 X-Wing, 5 Y-Wing, 4 YT-1300, 6 A-Wing, 5 B-Wing, 5 HWK-290, 6 Z-95, 3 E-Wing

#55 tiepilot1138

tiepilot1138

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:25 AM

I'd love to see a Corvette, and am kinda meh on the transport (who wants a ship with no guns?).  I still think they are both too big to actually sell, except to a few fanboys.  The Transport would measure over 13", and the Corvette almost 22"!  They would easily sell for over $100, which puts them out of range of most players (and storage would be a pain as well). 

#56 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:33 AM

Remember this is a dogfighting game.  The Falcom and Save I are sort of unique in the fact that they can throw down with fighter.  How cool woud a ship be that just moves relativly straight and shoots three time at in a 360 fireing arc.

#57 haslo

haslo

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:49 AM

Aye, the Falcon is pretty much the only one that actually fits into the game :) I'm already less certain about Slave I, to be honest. But of course I'll get one.

#58 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:01 AM

Agrivar said:

I think that a Rebel Transport (GR-75 Gallofree Yards Medium Transport) would be feasible.

Perhaps, but who would take a Rebel Transport into a dog fight?  :)

I was thinking an imperial shuttle might also work, but not sure that fits into a dog fight either. 

Maybe they would work with a scenario, but I would not be excited about buying it for that reason.

I'm very happy to see these two larger ships. Can't think of any other about this size that I'd be as excited to see AND that would fit the dog fight feel of the game.

In addition to the A-Wing, TIE Intercepter, and eventually the Tie Bomber and B-Wing, maybe they'll start making different versions of each ship (i.e., that look different and come with different pilots, equipment, etc., and maybe slightly different dials). 

#59 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:53 PM

I wonder if Slave I will be aligned with the Empire, or if she will be a neutral ship that can be included in Rebel squadrons?

#60 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:48 PM

It probably will be an Empire ship.  It is in most games. (WotC and Wizkids)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS